Any old timers remember white gas and 30 weight oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4pwr

ArboristSite Member
When I was a kid I remember taking the gas can to a staion with the old man. We would fill it with white gas and mix it with 30 weight oil. We would use it in outboards and anything else 2 cycle. The oil threads got me to thinking of that. Does any one remember those days? Did engines last as long and perform well?

skwerl

skwerl

Will Climb for food
Nope, the mix oils today provide many times the protection and burn much cleaner. 30wt was used for 2 stroke motors because nothing better was available. They had to put in as much oil as possible without clogging up the plug in 2 hours just in order to keep the motor from burning up.

Remember back in the 60's when auto odometers only had 5 digits? Remember it was a major ordeal for a car to 'turn over' 100K miles, and it was pretty much worn out by that point? today's oil protects so well that motors are barely worn at 100K miles.

460Ted

460Ted

ArboristSite Member
We had an old Johnson outboard that ran on 16:1, and on the fuel can it said use 30w. That motor was made in 1956 and boy did it smoke! The only white gas I've seen is for camping lanterns.

GLOBOTREE

GLOBOTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
The Amoco white gas had long been the best pump gas. But now do they still have the Amoco white gas? It is BP now but the gas is Amoco?

Marco

Marco

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Paved roads help cars last longer too. My John Deere A had rings put in shortly before Eisenhower enacted the soil bank and it's still going on it. Oils are better now I will admit. More stress is placed on 2cycle engines and car engines now too and they still last quite awhile.

whatsnext

whatsnext

ArboristSite Operative
04ultra said:
Just heard that Toro had to stop making the com.duty 2 stoke lawn mowers this year . New epa rules.

I've got one of those and I think it was more like three or four years ago. I just saw a picture of one of those set on it's side for use as a mini bike engine.
John..

rjh245

rjh245

ArboristSite Operative
460Ted said:
I have to wonder how many more years 2 stroke chainsaws have left before the EPA squeezes them out?:mad:

I hope that day never comes. I how could a 4 stroke saw ever work? I have heard the 4 stroke weedwackers are not the greatest.
Rob

eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think there's a little more to the two-stroke thing, especially with Toro. Blade tip speed is tightly controlled; ever wonder why you don't see those 32" and 36" single blade riders any more? Those 2-strokes are having a hard time making serious power at 2900 rpm in a 22" pusher, let alone holding up as long as the better 4-strokes...two-strokes just don't like to lug.

I don't remember ever using or even hearing about using "white gas" as a motor fuel, except the fellows that make those little model one-lungers you see at steam shows. When I think of white gas, I think of stove and lantern fuel, and I do remember buying it out of barrel up at the filling station when we went camping. That stuff was pretty much the lower flash point equivalent of #1 heating oil...burns clean, but not useful in an engine because there isn't any antiknock rating...probably around 60, good for a compression ratio of 4:1! I have some original manuals for a few old saws, including a McC 3-25 manual from 1949; they recommend regular gas (and the obligatory 30 weight oil)

Up until the late 1960's most oil companies rebottled and dyed plain-jane dino oils for use in 2-strokes. Castrol, Klotz and a few others began supplying bike racers much earlier, of course, but I think Shell or Sunoco was the probably the first major oil company to offer custom blended products to some of the OEM's. I believe Shell was the first major to offer a synthetic 2-stroke product, which was a boon to the boke racers, and a disaster for the snomo guys...the first stuff was hydroscopic, a real problem in cold weather!

460Ted

460Ted

ArboristSite Member
The technology exists for a small powerful 4 stroke chainsaw, however they won't ever be a light as the 2 strokes and will cost more.

Crofter

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
In canada as I remeber it we called the fuel for the coleman gas lantern and irons and blow torches, etc. white gas. It was lead free and did not fill the vapor generators with deposits like the car gas quickly would. As Eyolf says it was very low octane and would ping like the devil if you put it in a car. What we used to use in the old wick lanterns was called coal oil here and maybe kerosene in the USA. There was a gasoline called marine white that had no road tax and no dye that commercial outfitters ect used in saws and outboards to save the road tax. Dont know whether it was much diff than pump gas minus the dye. Yep the old 30 weight sure smoked.