Any one cut fire wood with a "vintage" saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So just curious does anyone use these old saws for firewood anymore?

I like looking on eBay at the old husky and Remingtons and homelites thinking how cool it would be to buy a big old saw. But is it practical? They are heavy probably vibrate like crazy.

This is not a real serious question I'm not going to buy an old saw anytime soon.

That was the reason for the quotes lol I don't think it's a real way to classify a saw but I didn't want to call anyone's saws old especially coming from a 28 year old I'll never hear the end of it haha

I have an 041 super AV that still runs just fine however its purpose is a back up if some thing happens to another. It will be up for sale at some point when time allows. At the moment I have 11 operational saws and was worried this week that maybe needed another. I have four saws that are less than two years old, but the ones that have seen the most use are my rebuilt 070 and two 056 supers. They work just fine and there chain speed is a little less than other more modern saws which has proven to be more beneficial. The 056s were inexpensive to restore with bearings and pistons so why not run then until the piston comes out the top of the cylinder. Thanks

I have 2 041supers that have air leaks :/. Not very good at working on them so right now they are just sitting waiting. I have a pm10-10 that needs a bit of work then it'll be in the rotation

First saw I bought (and still have) is a Husqvarna 2100. I still use it when needed for the big stuff. It's too heavy to use if the whole bar isn't needed.

So just curious does anyone use these old saws for firewood anymore?

I like looking on eBay at the old husky and Remingtons and homelites thinking how cool it would be to buy a big old saw. But is it practical? They are heavy probably vibrate like crazy.

This is not a real serious question I'm not going to buy an old saw anytime soon.

No, But I totally have had the same thought about getting an old big iron saw just for the cool factor. A few years ago I was looking through a antique/junk shop while we were on vacation and seen an old david Bradley with a circle bar on it , I should of went and found a bank to pull out some cash but I didn't, I thought it would be cool to have one of those just for the conversation factor.

The first saw I ever bought, I still have. A Lombard AP42. I think it's around a 70cc saw. Still runs, but I quit using it. It has zero safety features on it. I do a lot of work with the Tennessee Baptist Disaster Relief. They make you go thru some saw safety training, then show some blood, gut, and gore pictures of some guys that were not safe. One guy cut up the inside of his leg from the lower calf, all the way to the crotch. Cut his dong off. :eek: I went out and bought a new saw.

Does a Husqvarna 61 from the early 80's count? Been in my family since new. It's cut literally crap tons of wood and helped keep us warm when I was a kid. I rebuilt it last year as a hot rod 272xp sleeper. They just don't make tools this rugged anymore. Hopefully it's still cutting wood in another 35 years. Wonder how many of the fancy new electronic carb saws will be still making chips fly when they're 35 years old? Just a good honest saw that puts wood in the truck:

IMG_1587.JPG
IMG_2328.JPG

Helped fall a tree wiwth an old Mall (1954), cut firewood with a Mac 1954 (don't recall the number) gear drive - beast for torque, dog for speed), Homey 1976-78 very old saw found in my dad's shop (don't recall if it was the gear drive). Poulan, Sdtihls, Johnred, ets. All Stihl now from a 193T up to 441

Big shock was getting out of the AF in 1976 after 21 years and discovering that modern saws were no longer gear drives.

Latest posts

Back