Any One Else Sign Waivers Before Cutting On Others' Land?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize a release form is not worth much legally. However, they are priceless when it comes to the landowner's piece of mind. And his willingness to let you cut on his land.

Ted

i usually do a hand shake agreement, with witnesses stating that i will not hold the landowner liable for any injury that may happen to me, and likewise, the landowner will not hold me liable for any damage that may occur while cutting or removing wood. in most cases, the landowner like that.

i do not cut near wires, structures of any type, and fences because i'm not insured, but, some times the truck or trailer will leave marks on a lawn and i am not going back to do a complete landscaping job for them because of it. they are getting a free service. i haven't had any problems yet.

so, signing a form removing liability for personal injury may be a good idea, but you should include any damage to the property in that agreement.

i believe here in NY that agreement is null because if i break a leg the insurance company will still go after the homeowner. so.....if you want to be a good sport, say the injury happened at home...not while you were cutting at so-and-so's house.

it's really too bad that these days you have to practically need a law degree just to cut wood, but with so many people and lawyers looking to make a quick buck, that's what you gotta do.

i wanted to put my boat in the water and i was told i need insurance. so, i figured it can't be that bad since it's only being used a couple times a year.....wrong! depending on my coverage, it would cost me $300 to $500 per year!! my agent said so many people are getting in boat accidents and so many people are suing, the insurance companies have to cover their butts. it's not mandatory, but if my boat sank, the EPA will force me to have it removed from the water plus pay to clean up any spilled gas or oil on the water.

any injuries caused by my boat, if i don't have insurance, they can sue me and own my home!!

wtf??

plus, if my boat hits another boat even while docking, the people on the other boat will claim whiplash and sue...just like those tv lawyers say in car accidents.

so, i'm selling it.

back to cutting...if you have a friend with you, be sure you can trust them as well. if they get hurt, they can go after you and the homeowner and make you look like a fool.

what a world we live in.

Last edited:
last place i cut, I had to provide proof of liability insurance which I have for my shop and snowplowing, ( covers me for about anything) but it isn't in-expensive.

I agree with you fully, but I also understand where *SOME* of these people's comments come from.

Thru my fire department, we run a 'Juvenile Fire Setter Intervention Program'. Essentially it is a program for kids under 18 who have maliciously set a fire. Without writing a book here, there are mental health professionals as well as law enforcement and the courts on board. What we do from a fire department perspective is run the kids thru a mini-fire academy. We don't subject them to fighting a full blown structure fire, but they DO have to familiarize themselves with ALL the personal protective equipment firefighters wear, and they have to wear it. They do a 'search and rescue' in a smoke filled structure and drag out the training dummy that weighs 150 pounds. They handle a fully charged hose line and advance it forward in various scenarios; in a house, up a muddy slippery embankment and around and into a motor vehicle. They extinguish a flammable liquids fire with a dry chemical device. And they do all of this in full PPE and SCBA. To say they get a workout is an understatement. But they also develop an appreciation for what we do when they set a fire. And they learn the value of working together in a team. They learn a lot more too, but I think you can see the potential for them to get injured is immense. My point here is, there is no insurance company in their right mind that would condone such activities, much less cover them. Thankfully, we have a forward thinking Chief that can see past liability and strive for a positive outcome. He has decided to take a chance on us, the guys running the program, in return for the potential of turning a few kids in the right direction. If he did not have this attitude, I don't know where the thousand-plus kids we've put thru this program would be today. I guess sometimes you just gotta say the heck with liability.

You have a THOUSAND kids in your area who have set malicious fires!?! Am I reading this right and understanding this correctly?

I know I never have, and none of my friends growing up did either, as far as I know. I just dont remember anything like that.

Sure this is the correct place to address this, after the fact, rather than coming down hard on the parents and the public indoctrination and forced psychoactive drugging centers?

Latest posts

Back