Any opinions on 5 ton Electric log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ram Splitter makes a electric splitter on wheels I built own officers design with big motor and pump wouldn't take a new 30 ton gas for it. But I also have a thirty ton on my tractor to split in in the yard leave the mess out there save money on buying gravel

I have a four ton i use in house to splot stuff that is a little too big for the stove. And the kids use it outside too to split wood. I split ash mainly with it.

I paid about $300 at Lowes-Depot for my 5 ton. It works fine for me (birch and spruce) with a 10 foot 14ga extension cord.

I haven't used it indoors yet, but I could. I split about seven cords every year over the winter (in the back yard after work each evening) and it is a good choice for me. I am paying about 25 cents per kilowatt hour for electric, works out to $3 or $4 worth of juice per cord split.

Compared to paying $150 to rent a gas powered splitter for two days and having to get all my splitting done right now I prefer the relaxed approach.

If I was doing more than ten cords a year I would probably get all my rounds ready in late August, rent a gas powered splitter, split all the rounds at least once over that two day marathon, finish the gnarlies with the gas powered and then use the electric over the winter months.

I find in comparatively soft wood like birch and spruce (my highest BTU choices) the electric can break open the uglies better than I can, in a typical split cord there are two or three rounds that I get part way open with the electric. If my electric can't finish the split I usually leave my maul on its hook and go straight to sledge and wedges.

Given the price of gas rentals ( and the fact that both of my sons are away at college) the electric is a good choice for me.

FWIW I have popped 24" diameter (16" length) birch rounds with my electric splitter at 20 below no problem. Birch does split a heck of a lot easier than oak; and every species I have ever split splits easier the colder it is.

I haven't used it indoors yet, but I could. I split about seven cords every year over the winter (in the back yard after work each evening) and it is a good choice for me. I am paying about 25 cents per kilowatt hour for electric, works out to $3 or $4 worth of juice per cord split.

Compared to paying $150 to rent a gas powered splitter for two days and having to get all my splitting done right now I prefer the relaxed approach.

diameter (16" length) birch rounds with my electric splitter at 20 below no problem. Birch does split a heck of a lot easier than oak; and every species I have ever split splits easier the colder it is.

What communist country do you live in that charges 25 cents a kilowatt and the splitter rental is 150$ ????

Looks like opinions vary quite a bit on the 5 ton electric splitters. I guess the only way to find out if it will work for me is to buy one. If it does not work to expectation that I can return it. Hopefully in the next few months I can find one on sale.

5 tonne seems very small to me ... might be alright if it's all soft wood and very small ... could always invest in a 22 tonne for a long term investment

What communist country do you live in that charges 25 cents a kilowatt and the splitter rental is 150$ ????

I live in Alaska. The only things I can get that aren't shipped up from the lower 48 are firewood, some petroleum fractions and game meat. Even king crab gets sold to wholesalers in Seattle and then shipped back up to my local Kroger. Splitter rental is $75 per day at my local Home-Depot. Butter peaked at six dollars per pound a couple years ago. I paid $4.39/ gallon for 88 octane last week. Yukon gold potatoes are cheap, russets are priced like they come with gold plating on them. Beer one step up from Bud Lite is $10/ six pack.

Resident hunting, fishing and trapping license is $55/ year. Moose tag free. Caribou tag free. Bear tag not required in most areas for residents. Dipnetting for sockeye salmon tag, free, limit 25 fish for head of household plus ten additional fish for each additional household member also free. King salmon stamp on dipnetting permit for sockeye, ten bucks, limited watersheds. Firewood is ten dollars per cord if I am willing to drive out to the woods and fell my own trees - limit ten cords per household per year. All of these are personal use only, resale prohibited by law.

You need to look at that Ram Splitters log splitter after you split your wood you split other peoples for pay or percentage of his wood. People want me to do that but I am swamp with my bundle business. Just a thought.

This is ram splitters machine I don't sell ram splitter I just use there merchandise and it is very reliable.

Attachments

• ramsplitter20tonHVelectric_1500__04188.1409211817.460.460.jpg
    ramsplitter20tonHVelectric_1500__04188.1409211817.460.460.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 25
Ram Slitter has a electric 16 ton and a 16 ton about $1100.00
+1 on the Ramsplitter 16 electric. My brother recommended it over the Chinee 5 electric he had. I've run over 12 cord through it so far with nary an issue. It's a small pro-grade splitter outfitted with a 2hp electric motor.

The Ramsplitter costs more but remember ~ you never get more than you pay for.

I tried a mates 12 ton when I decided to bite the bullet and buy a splitter ... I found it wouldn't split the hardwood I was chopping ... ended up buying 30 ton in the end

Latest posts

Back