Any particular make/model have a reputation for being consistently easiest to start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlh26oo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Or are they all about equally easy/difficult if you know/don't know what you're doing? Since ANYTHING will be an upgrade over what I'm currently using, fool-proof starting is my first priority, as that's my biggest gripe with this craftsman. The stihl pro line is somewhat overkill for my purposes (clearing brush and cutting firewood on the weekends), but am looking to some nicer saws- the M.S. 260 pro; or the M.S. 361 since it has the antivibration system and decompression valve standard.

O.T.O.H. I'm open to suggestions if something else out there is known for being easy to start.

Or are they all about equally easy/difficult if you know/don't know what you're doing? Since ANYTHING will be an upgrade over what I'm currently using, fool-proof starting is my first priority, as that's my biggest gripe with this craftsman. The stihl pro line is somewhat overkill for my purposes (clearing brush and cutting firewood on the weekends), but am looking to some nicer saws- the M.S. 260 pro; or the M.S. 361 since it has the antivibration system and decompression valve standard.

O.T.O.H. I'm open to suggestions if something else out there is known for being easy to start.

Any saw that is tuned properly and has a good starting technique used will start easily. If your craftsman is not starting easily, the problem falls into one of two categories:

1. the saw is out of tune
  2. you're using an improper starting technique

To be redundant, if your saw is not starting, you might be using a poor technique. If you are using a good technique, your saw is out of tune. :)

Any saw that is tuned properly and has a good starting technique used will start easily. If your craftsman is not starting easily, the problem falls into one of two categories:

1. the saw is out of tune
  2. you're using an improper starting technique

To be redundant, if your saw is not starting, you might be using a poor technique. If you are using a good technique, your saw is out of tune. :)

I always follow their directions exactly- sometimes it starts right up immediately, sometimes never. But I'm probably both category 1 & 2, so better equipment will not be a substitute for my operator error and poor maintenance. Thanks for the input.

I always follow their directions exactly- sometimes it starts right up immediately, sometimes never. But I'm probably both category 1 & 2, so better equipment will not be a substitute for my operator error and poor maintenance. Thanks for the input.

I will say that any saw bought from a servicing dealer will be a huge jump over your craftsman, simply because a servicing dealer will start and adjust your saw correctly and show you how to do the same. If the carburetor needle valves are set incorrectly, the saw will be difficult to start. The general consensus is that most of the later saws come from the factory too lean.

I will say that any saw bought from a servicing dealer will be a huge jump over your craftsman, simply because a servicing dealer will start and adjust your saw correctly and show you how to do the same. If the carburetor needle valves are set incorrectly, the saw will be difficult to start. The general consensus is that most of the later saws come from the factory too lean.

+1

you amaze me space. 1 million posts and thats the best one yet!!!

STK

The easiest starting saw I have ever used is my current Echo CS-440. Always a 1-2 puller from cold and 1 pull from hot.

over the time, the only saw that ever worked evertime i pulled it out, has been an hand saw...

over the time, the only saw that ever worked evertime i pulled it out, has been an hand saw...
unless you blow your arm out sawing up cord after cord of wood.

I think that you would be happy with a ms260, and the MS361 is an awesome saw. its what i used to use last year in my forestry class every day to take down trees. its deffinatly a good pro saw, big enough to handle any of the trees we have around here in maine, and yet small and light enough to be used as a firewood and brush clearing saw.

unless you blow your arm out sawing up cord after cord of wood.

I think that you would be happy with a ms260, and the MS361 is an awesome saw. its what i used to use last year in my forestry class every day to take down trees. its deffinatly a good pro saw, big enough to handle any of the trees we have around here in maine, and yet small and light enough to be used as a firewood and brush clearing saw.

that is what the wife and kids are for

after loads of advice - I bought the MS260 pro. I really like the de-compression valve.

2 pulls on full choke - 1 pull on half - starts everytime from cold - 1 pull hot starting. It's powerful yet light enough to use all day.

Seems to be built well and although it is in the pro range - you do get the 2 year warranty !

When I first started using chainsaws I had some trouble starting them.
After I got it down, I can start anyone of mine any time. Unless I try to start it with the switch off.

But I've always notice that my Stihl starts easier. A friend of mine has Stihls and he's always bragging how easy they start up.

I brought a couple of Huskies that came in on trade because the last owners had trouble starting them and the both will start for me every time. So technique goes along way.

after loads of advice - I bought the MS260 pro. I really like the de-compression valve.

2 pulls on full choke - 1 pull on half - starts everytime from cold - 1 pull hot starting. It's powerful yet light enough to use all day.

Seems to be built well and although it is in the pro range - you do get the 2 year warranty !

I like the way you think Stephan , :cheers:

A well tuned one. My old Homie 150 is a "3 puller" on most occasions. The 066 has always been a 5-6 puller, but will occasionally go on 3. Just depends. If I used them more regularly, they would be better. It's not that I don't want to, it just doesn't always work out.

Mark

If you're willing to sacrifice performance for reliability don't count out Echo and Shindaiwa saws. Both tend to a bit light on the power end and the Shindaiwas are a bit on the heavy side but they really hold up. Shindaiwa;s motto is first to start last to quit, and they mean it.

My .02

After using Stihl , 024,2-011's, 3-020's,a 029

Husky,3-335's, 2-338's, a 350, and a 357

Echo, 306, 440, 400

I would have to say the Husky 350 and the Echo cs-400 start the easiest overall hot or cold. 2 pulls cold and 1 after they have been run.

They get a bad wrap here from some but don't dismiss Echo's, they are a well built saw with decent power for their size.

the easiest saw is the huscavarna 345 two pulls cold one warm. I reccomend this if your not doing serious cutting. My jonsered 2165 takes 4-5 pulls cold and one pull warm Remember this is just for me.

Latest posts

Back