Any suggestions for this hang-up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This oak tree came down in a storm. I cut the approximately 30 feet off the trunk when it teetered up. I have been waiting since October hoping a storm would take it down.

Over the weekend I threw a rope up and pulled the trunk down and cut off another 6 feet. But it hinged backed up. I am guessing there is 1/3 to 1 cord of wood.

Long chain and a truck? That's probably where I would start. How stuck is it? Are you trying to save the tree that it is in?

Oh my... :dizzy:

I have nothing constructive to add other than be careful whatever you do. That appears to be quite the little situation. Looks like something I might get myself in to :laugh:

never mind , I didn't see a picture attatched to the original post.

Whatever it is that you end up doing , make sure it isn't done from a ladder.

Last edited:
Well one thing is for sure ... no one else is gonna steal it! :clap::)

Chain and a strong truck. or take the other tree down perpendicular to the hang up?

Boy, there's all kinds of ways that one could go bad. You could try cutting it right next to the tree and hope both sides will simply fall down, but you would have to watch out for one side going down before the other. If you can get it cut in the middle it should be pretty easy to pull them off the tree if they drop on their own. Otherwise, bulldozer and a strong chain would be my best suggestion.

I would leave it ,really it doesnt look like much wood anyways

Well, if I was determined to get this deadfall out of the other trees, I'd first try to cut that limb off that is hanging towards the road as close as I could to the small tree that is to the right of the picture to lessen the weight of the tree.
Then I'd secure a long cable to the butt end of the deadfall and bring it down to a pulley or snatch block that is attached to the base of the tree that is holding the deadfall and to a truck or tractor on the path.
Then I 'd try to pull the butt end down which would work like a fulcrum and hope that the weight of the deadfall would make it slide out of the other tree.
Otherwise wait for mother nature to take care of the problem and don't walk on the path! :)

Plan A: (Requiring good size-up of the condition of the trees) Throw tow straps over each side near the center, bind them down so the widow maker can't move as you work under it, cut the whole thing down as a unit.

Plan B: (Practical) Mother Nature, you win this round.

Plan C: (Safest) Big excavator with a thumb :)

Plan D: (Gotta remove only the snag, but being cheap...) Ask my neighbor with the decent size backhoe for help. Bind down the widow maker as in "A", but then use the front end loader of the backhoe as a work platform. Take a few logs off one side, move, take a few off the other side to keep it roughly balanced, repeat until the whole thing is down.

Plan E: (Being insanely cheap) I do it using my smaller tractor and FEL, and make a very embarrased cell phone call for help when one of the logs drops and knocks down the ladder I used to climb into the FEL after I had positioned it by myself.

Long chain and a truck? That's probably where I would start. How stuck is it? Are you trying to save the tree that it is in?

Thats what I would do, lash a strong tow strap with no hooks on the big end and give it some good tugs with a truck or tractor.I wouldnt even dream of trying to cut the thing loose by knocking down the trees its stuck in. Something is sure to drop on your head!

I would drive my dozer up under it.. Climb up on the hood. Hook a cable choker to it and pull it out of the fork. Simple as that.

This oak tree came down in a storm. I cut the approximately 30 feet off the trunk when it teetered up. I have been waiting since October hoping a storm would take it down.

Over the weekend I threw a rope up and pulled the trunk down and cut off another 6 feet. But it hinged backed up. I am guessing there is 1/3 to 1 cord of wood.

Pin it to that 3rd tree and make a deer stand out of it!

Where are you in IL...I would be more than happy to run the video camera or throw out some ideas...

Polesaw?
Climb (with gear) above it and reach down and cut near the fork. Not all the way through, just let each side fold down , then get down.
If you don't climb or have a polesaw and can't pull it out, you should leave it alone.

You want me to do it for ya?

Gentlemen - you are over thinking this.

1) get ladder
2) get cordless drill with long bit
3) Drill hole 3/4 though pinch point (in the log)
4) fill hole with black power
5) insert long canon fuse
6) pack hole
7) Light fuse/run
8) turn on camera and open beer
9) post video if turns out well

Good luck.

8 oz C4... Shape charge... boom... firewood. pre split...

just a though.:cheers:

I think you should call the guys from "JacKass", would make a good tetor-totor. Someone would go for a heck of a ride.

I had one of these before. Wrap a chain around both the heavy end of the log and the base of the tree. Attach rope pulleys to both chains. Tied the rope end to the heavy end of the log, through the pulley on the base of the tree, pulley on the log and tied it to the truck. Rope was long enough to clear the complete tree that was hanging up. Drive away like you stole the truck in the direction away from the heavy end. My tree slid out once and I just cut a chunk of, moved the rope and the chain, pulled again and then the tree stood straight up and fell down.

Latest posts

Back