Any suggestions for this hang-up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my first post

Ring the live tree and wait 15 years for it all to fall. You stay alive and have some wood in the bank!

I am new to the web. I think this is where I list my toys of the trade.
Stihl 029 old
Stihl 19t
stihl361 1 year old
Grampa's old Mall it still runs but is very heavy. It is easier to bring the woods to the saw than the saw to the woods.:chainsaw::chainsaw::givebeer::givebeer:

I gotta admit I'd have a HARD time leaving that one alone. I just couldn't stand to see a challenge like that go to waste. Looks to me like if you cut close to the fork just enough to compromise the hanger (cut description below) and then hook on to the end with a truck you may be able to split it enough to get both ends on the ground.
I gotta admit I kinda like screwin around with difficult situations like that.

(cut description)
Make a cut on the side you will hook the truck to just like you were going to fell a vertical tree. Your V notch and back cut will both be vertical but stop short of it breaking. Move ladder out of the way. Drink a beer. 4 wheel drive and foot to the floor! If all goes well it may just break right off and all that will be left is the other half leanin in the tree.
If all doesn't go well we are gonna need new pics to see what happened.

Last edited:
Being braver today than I was last Saturday, I like the idea of the rope around the trunk and pulley at the tree. I should have everything to it, if I remember to load the truck. I can then pull it down without being underneath of it. It does seem kind of simple now. Since I didn’t have any pulleys in the truck, I would have spent more time walking around it rather than thinking of a safe solution.
I might try it this weekend. The weather is suppose to warm up so it may be to greasy to get back to it. I will take pictures,; it should be worth a few laughs. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I still stand by the "place a rope up high" method. Jug up the rope. Cut the tree out of the notch. If it is really jammed in there then well cut out both sides of that snag and leave the remaining round stuck between the crotch. Although I dought it would stay jammed in there. No pullies, or trucks involved. Take pictures that looks like a doozy of a dangerous good time. Don't go it alone.

I would drive my dozer up under it.. Climb up on the hood. Hook a cable choker to it and pull it out of the fork. Simple as that.
Yeh! What he said!. That doesn't scare me as much as one I've got to take down thats not cut free yet. At least that one is loose.

I got it on the ground, in the truck, split and on next year pile. Sorry no pictures of getting down on the ground. I have ablout 1/2 truck load left on the ground. Thanks for all of the ideas.

I got it on the ground, in the truck, split and on next year pile. Sorry no pictures of getting down on the ground. I have ablout 1/2 truck load left on the ground. Thanks for all of the ideas.

C'mon.... How are you going to not tell us how?

We had very strong winds last week, so God did a bigger part than I did. The tree shifted so the small end was hanging down. I tried hooking a chain to it and pulling down with the truck, but was unable to move it. I hooked a come-along to it (marked in red in the picture) and pulled it, which lifted the small end off the further off the ground. I hooked up a rope (marked in Yellow), and teetered it up and down. I could tell it was moving forward. The come-along prevented it from teetering back into the tree. About a ½ hour later it moved a couple feet forward, as it moved forward I kept tighten up the come along. Eventually y I changed the balance, hooked the truck back up to it and pulled it down.

shoooot...no video of sitting on the end of it while cutting that end off?
very disappointed.:greenchainsaw:

A friend of mine was cutting a blowdown. He straddled the stem and started limbing. When he knocked the first limb off, the tree decided it would stand back up. Friend and Homelite had to climb off abruptly to avoid getting catapulted into the lake. Wish I had video.
That tree is still alive, I always figured it would blow down in the next big storm, but it didn't.

Back