Any suggestions for this hang-up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toss a rope around the cut end of the hanging part. With both ends of the rope in your hands, give it a good yank with your full body weight. This test will give you a good idea of how "stuck" the thing really is. If it's not too bad, then a truck and an adequate chain or strap might do. If you cant get equipment in there and If the thing isn't stuck too bad and it's pretty well balanced and just tettering, you might be able to get it down using it's own weight. Pull the heavier end down with a rope and secure it to the other tree with a port-a-wrap or GRCS. Once secure, cut off a big section of the end that you just pulled down. Now that end should be really light and when you release it from a safe distance, it should flip up and thru the crotch. Clear as mud, eh? Just another piece of advice...assuming you use a running bowline when you try to pull down the heavy end...tie a piece of throwline to the loop in the bowline. This way if you cant get the tree down, you can pull the running bowline out using the throwline and you don't have to go up there and get it.

OK Looking at it again.
Take your ladder and go up about 5 or 6 ft. above the log. Tie the rope to one side of the tree.
Then run the rope under the log, next to the tree on the fork side. Tie the rope to a truck and take off! It will lift and flip the log out, as you draw the rope tight.
Any other way could just make it tighter in the fork. This way it's lifting it out and will flip out on the ground.
Oh yeah move the ladder first.

ropes+trucks=bad combo

I'm sure I'll catch a ton of shnit for saying this, but here goes... Do NOT use a truck to pull a rope unless you understand the break strength, number of load cycles, etc of that rope, strength loss as a result of the chosen knot, etc. Or if you just don't give a hoot, then go for it. Trucks can generate a TREMENDOUS amount of pulling power and stuff can go wrong in a hurry when you least want it to... Just my 2 cents

I'm sure I'll catch a ton of shnit for saying this, but here goes... Do NOT use a truck to pull a rope unless you understand the break strength, number of load cycles, etc of that rope, strength loss as a result of the chosen knot, etc. Or if you just don't give a hoot, then go for it. Trucks can generate a TREMENDOUS amount of pulling power and stuff can go wrong in a hurry when you least want it to... Just my 2 cents

No you're right.:cheers: Don't take off and break the rope. But just enough to lift it out. You don't even have to be fast about it really. I use this trick alot, you may even be able to do it by hand with help.

Set up camcorder. Lean a rickety old ladder up against the far left end of that thing, or better yet, just plain sit on the end of it, and saw away that end chunk.:popcorn:

I am in the northwest corner of the state. Freeport area.

It's wedged in there pretty tight. I had a chain hooked up to it and pulled it with my little dakota. Not much of a truck. I winched the trunk end down and cut off about six feet. The whole time I was doing it, I kept thinking this is really stupid being under this thing. I am leaning towards letting God take it down and continue cutting further down the road.

attachment.php
attachment.php

If you really want that wood, he's my suggestion. I'm not sure how high that is hanging. As you can see by the picture I marked up, I'd hook a chain to the big end pull it down with a winch......and now I'm trying to figure out how not to have it drop on me..........

Maybe someone has an improved idea....

Have you tried to pull it with a truck?

Dan

Pin it to that 3rd tree and make a deer stand out of it!

Gentlemen - you are over thinking this.

1) get ladder
2) get cordless drill with long bit
3) Drill hole 3/4 though pinch point (in the log)
4) fill hole with black power
5) insert long canon fuse
6) pack hole
7) Light fuse/run
8) turn on camera and open beer
9) post video if turns out well

Good luck.

8 oz C4... Shape charge... boom... firewood. pre split...

just a though.:cheers:

I see how you guys are!

Would chase the deer away, and not do my hinner any god either! :mad:

Freeport is 4 hours from me...I would call Gary at Freeport Metal and have him bring out a tow truck and yank it down...

Come on guys!!!

It's a teeter totter. Ya just gotta weight one end to get it stood up.

Rope to the heavy end. Run through snatch block, pulley or D-ring on base of supporting tree, then to truck pulling towards Camera slowly.

At a certain point in the tilt, the thing will slide because of the taper, so pull and clutch in to avoid breaking the line, or use a light line tied to a heavy strap to avoid the thing coming through the rear window when it breaks.

Allow enough line to be 1.5 times the length of the hung log away when starting.

DO NOT use an ATV unless you like the taste of handlebars!:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Am I the only one thinking you should just send a rope up to the top, Jug the rope and cut that hanger out? This way you wouldn't have to work underneath that nasty someb'tch.

Last edited:
Seriously it looks like you could just cut the big sling-shot it is hanging in, down.

If that tree has solid wood in it's base, notch it to fall with the lean, and away from the camera.

Walking around it might show that the snag could hit first, but if not, there is a good chance everything could lie flat and away from the camera?

Not recommending someone dose something unsafe, but the safer way is snagged up right now, ain't it?

I would leave it. Even if you secured it and drop the tree it is hung up on you stand a chance of making a big tripod (think big kick stand). Maybe hang a set of bean bag chairs off the short end.

Am I the only one thinking you should just send a rope up to the top, Jug the rope and cut that hanger out? This way you wouldn't have to work underneath that nasty someb'tch.

That's what I was thinking. Instead of pulling it down, pull it up out of the notch.

Use a ladder to get above the tree.

Tie a pulley above the tree.

Run rope from stuck tree to pulley.

Pull tree up.

Once it is free from being jammed in the notch you can ratchet a strap between the two trees to hold it up and prevent it from becoming jammed again. I suppose you could also drop a short block of wood in the notch for the stuck tree to sit/ride on.

Then you can pull it out with your Dakota.

... am I as clear as mud here, or is this just a crazy idea? (never dealt with this situation before)

:cheers:

hillybilly advice, take it or not. Ring the the tree as close to the standing tree but leave enough so it doesnt wanna come down. chain it up to a pickup and pull heading twards the field. Danerous but effective!

I would leave it. Even if you secured it and drop the tree it is hung up on you stand a chance of making a big tripod (think big kick stand). Maybe hang a set of bean bag chairs off the short end.

Latest posts

Back