Any uses for Elm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlueRidgeMark said:
Thanks for that info, John. Especially useful as I just picked some up this morning.

I had a couple standing American Elm trees offered to me last week. Both are about 20" DBH. I'd planned on taking only the sections big enough for milling but I may consider keeping the fire wood now.

Thanks and welcome!

bragging--blue ridge--yes--i built it--30 years ago--cyl--50.00--beam--nearly free--wheels and axles--off a junk rambler--macwilliams pump,valve--and resorvoir--all in one unit--15 dollar 8 hp briggs--finally had to rering it--that cost more than the original engine cost!!!!!!!!!! dang!! has split loootttttssssss of wood--heat house totally with wood--nuts to the gas cos!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a friend that buys a lot of old barn wood. He uses the posts and beams to make legs for his harvest tales and the planks for the tops. Around here, SE KS, they just cut down whatever species were on site and built out of that. He has made several out of elm that came from these old barns. He stains them and they are very beautiful tables. I will try to get some pics for you. I have also used it for some log furniture making and lamp bases. Here are a couple of pics

top+rs.jpg

It has really nice color, this is satin poly 5 coats.

profile+rs.jpg

The post is made from some honey locust. I have a couple of slabs that I cut 2 years+ and it seems to be very durable rot resistant wood. I believe the species was chinese Elm.

Latest posts

Back