Anybody build a conveyor for their splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking of building a conveyor for my splitter so that I could get the wood pile away from the splitter area and to also fill the trailer when I preferred to do that.My question is has anybody built one and what did you have into it price wise ? I have a great super cheap source--almost free for the smaller steel but have to buy the longer stuff.I can get free axles and tires and use the $99 Harbor freight engine.So whats the opinion on what it will cost me ?

Let you know in a week or so. Ordering chains, sprockets, bearings, steel tomorrow. Won't be pretty because I don't have the free time to build so it will be a quick throw together unit

Thought about that,but some I have seen are pretty rough and not even moveable away from the old falling down barns they are up against.

I did a Kewanee bale/grain elevator. Tried gas engine but switched to electric 1 hp motor. Gas broke to many things . Electric just spins the belt or blows the fuse when it gets a piece of wood stuck.

Elevator $200
Scrap motor
Pulleys and belts $80
Jug of cheap bar oil for lube.

It is so nice to just let the pieces of wood drop into the elevator. Tossing wood gets old after a few hours.

Pictures of mine are on here in several threads. Mine is an old grain elevator, couple hundred bucks and used it as soon as I got it home. Changed the electric motor last year, I agree electric is easier. I have lots of cord and a genie if I pile away from hydro. I bought a spare one a month or 2 ago for $100, needs a motor and pulleys but it's a spare so no rush on it anyway. I have a skeleton elevator that I might do up some day too. I would not build one from scratch though.

Mine has a gas engine. Works great, but you want to leave the belt loose a little so it can slip. I get about 1 jam a day.

Mine has a gas engine. Works great, but you want to leave the belt loose a little so it can slip. I get about 1 jam a day.
Nice setup. What kind of splitter is that in your avatar? Looks similar to some custom ones I've seen on CL that somebody is building. They look very well done.

As far as the elevator goes, it works good but it will bind up once in a while. The belt conveyor works good too but if you get some square pieces they sometimes come bouncing back down.

As far as the elevator goes, it works good but it will bind up once in a while. The belt conveyor works good too but if you get some square pieces they sometimes come bouncing back down.
Good ideas with the belt conveyor dumping into whatever you call that. How do you get the wood out? Also, do you use your 034 av super much?

If you get really crazy you can do two conveyors.

Before

073cf60b3297414c00185e16367543af.jpg

After 37 firewood helpers

2678e8cc3dc234551b2b2239f1b37f15.jpg

You can buy old grain elevator from auctions cheap enough, so building one is out of my vocabulary.:givebeer:

Well steel, chains, sprockets are ordered. steel will be here tomorrow. Chains, sprockets, bearings in a couple days.

I bought mine used. There are a few around to be had. This one is 28' and will pile about eight cord before the wood or the conveyor needs moved.
IMG_1754.jpg IMG_1770.jpg IMG_1800.jpg
The last photo stacked out at 14 1/4 cord. Now I've gone back to using a bin and doing a half to three quarters cord cutting/splitting/stacking. I find it easier stacking smaller amounts. It actually forces me to stack before I can split again. It took me near forever to stack that pile. If I don't stack it stays wet, and molds quickly. Not much sun. The bin is easier on the back too, in terms of less bending over, and shorter stacking times. Small piles off the splitter and no conveyor would do the same. So if your stacking a conveyor really isn't needed even with a SS.
IMG_2117.jpg IMG_2070.jpg IMG_2092.jpg

I built mine from a Kmart store belt conveyor. Electric is nice as mine has switches at both ends and can go forward or reverse. In remote areas I just use a generator.

MVC-010S.JPG

I use it as a adjustable level table to load/unload out of building as well.

MVC-007S_26.JPG

Axle slides to the side so you can pull right next to it. Saves steps when unloading/loading using a truck.

MVC-009S_18.JPG

MVC-010S_14.JPG

MVC-011S_16.JPG

On the axle ends I made knuckles so the conveyor can be moved in a arc for piling or just move sideways.

MVC-012S_8.JPG

Put a 3/4" square drive on the wheels so I can hand move it easily with a long bar ratchet when I'm working alone.

MVC-010S_13.JPG

MVC-011S_14.JPG

Not a huge conveyor but does well in my set up and I wanted more than just a one function piece.

Here is a link to the build so use any ideas you wish.

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/conveyor?n=0&z=2&c=4&x=0&m=24&w=0&p=0

Latest posts

Back