Anybody collect anything besides chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any collectors of model trains?

I was starting to think that I was the ONLY ONE on here. Been collecting model trains since before I could walk, now after 52 years, I have enough to open a small Hobby shop. I have mostly HO, and O Gauge, but a little, bit of "N" scale and "G" scale, plus I had some American Flyer "S" gauge when I was young.

For the last 12 years or so, I have been collecting "O" Gauge/scale trains, with Union Pacific my main interest, with a strong secondary interest in Southern Pacific, and Weyerhaeuser Timber logging trains, mainly Steam era, and some early diesels.

Doug

Looks more like a Stug.

Steve

If we want to keep this among British tanks, it's hard to beat the Bishop as far as boky appearances go:

p1.jpg

If a lower box is needed, the Arher is a rather nice fit:

Egyptian_archer_tank_destroyer_knocked_out_by_Israeli_tanks_at_Abu_Ageila_-_1956.jpg

Just remember the gun points to the back of the tank:

Archer_Aalten_NL_March45-vi.jpg

1911s and Belgium made Brownings, been collecting both of those way longer than saws.
Two of my favorites!!! Always wanted a ww1_1911. Someday.... Got a a5 light twelve and light twenty though. By far, favorite shotguns

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Two of my favorites!!! Always wanted a ww1_1911. Someday.... Got a a5 light twelve and light twenty though. By far, favorite shotguns

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I got my grandfathers A5 light twelve when I was 14, that's what got me started on those. Got my other grandfathers 1944 Colt WWII 1911A1 when I was 19, been all downhill since then.

I was starting to think that I was the ONLY ONE on here. Been collecting model trains since before I could walk, now after 52 years, I have enough to open a small Hobby shop. I have mostly HO, and O Gauge, but a little, bit of "N" scale and "G" scale, plus I had some American Flyer "S" gauge when I was young.

For the last 12 years or so, I have been collecting "O" Gauge/scale trains, with Union Pacific my main interest, with a strong secondary interest in Southern Pacific, and Weyerhaeuser Timber logging trains, mainly Steam era, and some early diesels.

Doug
I have some trains my great grandma gave me around forty years ago. Her husband collected them. Don't know the scale but they are metal mostly, Japan on the bottom, about a dozen locomotives, cars, track, buildings, huge transformer.

Been packed away for years but a locomotive I kept out. Don't know a damn thing about them or really how old they are. The metal is bringing parts have broken off on some like pot metal. Here's one of them.. One of the few not damaged from being moved around .

39086e3361ad066b51ad7374788515ad.jpg
0f0a756e91fbdf1bd5cd89dd220bf222.jpg

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

I have some trains my great grandma gave me around forty years ago. Her husband collected them. Don't know the scale but they are metal mostly, Japan on the bottom, about a dozen locomotives, cars, track, buildings, huge transformer.

Been packed away for years but a locomotive I kept out. Don't know a damn thing about them or really how old they are. The metal is bringing parts have broken off on some like pot metal. Here's one of them.. One of the few not damaged from being moved around .

New One Model trains were sold for export through a variety of Western importers. Apparently they were very active in the 50's and 60's but then disappeared pretty much overnight.
Most of them were Zamak but as high purity zinc was hard to obtain outside the US until 1960 or so they tend to suffer from zinc pest/rot like most period ZAMAK toys. That's why you are seeing some models fall apart while others remain in good shape.
There were also a line of brass trains made by the same company which are apparently very rare and very valuable.

No idea what happened to New One Model: it may have absorbed by another Japanese manufacturer such as Kato or more likely they went out of business.

39086e3361ad066b51ad7374788515ad.jpg
0f0a756e91fbdf1bd5cd89dd220bf222.jpg

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

Nickolas, from what I have been able to research, New One Models, they are "HO" Scale/Gauge, and were imported by Polk/Aristocraft and by AHM as well, from the Late 1950's through some time in the 1960's, and they had a pretty wide selection of locomotives offered.

Some reported questionable running qualities, while others said theirs ran well, some needed mior tinkering to get good running out of them. It sounds like the Sentimental Value would be greater than the resale value, so I would suggest Run and ENJOY them, as that is what model trains were meant for.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your transformer, as most "HO" transformers would not be described as HUGE, if possible include a shot of the electrical info plate, with the Input/Output Voltages and Wattage ratings. Chances are it is the right one for those trains, but HO are USUALLY DC , with the exception of stud rail Marklin, but O Gauge, like Lionel is typically AC power, and many of those transformers can be quite large.

If you have any questions, I would be Happy to try and answer any I can, and if possible pics are usually helpful

Doug

If we want to keep this among British tanks, it's hard to beat the Bishop as far as boky appearances go:

p1.jpg

If a lower box is needed, the Arher is a rather nice fit:

Egyptian_archer_tank_destroyer_knocked_out_by_Israeli_tanks_at_Abu_Ageila_-_1956.jpg

Just remember the gun points to the back of the tank:

Archer_Aalten_NL_March45-vi.jpg

Tamiya just came out with a new 1/35 scale Archer kit this year as well as a new Valentine Mk II/IV kit in the same scale. I would like to get both, as the Valentine is one of my favorite WWII tanks. Bishop kits are a little harder to come by as not many manufacturers made them due to low demand.

Bishop looks like a KV 2.

Steve

I do have a KV1 in the to-do pile somewhere.

Any collectors of model trains?

I do have a small collection of HO-scale stuff and a N-scale set, but it's buried in storage somewhere. But I just got a new Walthers Proto 48' well car and matching intermodal. Growing up I remembered seeing lots of the real things. Now I just need to get a green Burlington Northern (not BNSF) EMD SD40 to go with it.

24294083_520240001694113_7090826855663733751_n.jpg

Nickolas, from what I have been able to research, New One Models, they are "HO" Scale/Gauge, and were imported by Polk/Aristocraft and by AHM as well, from the Late 1950's through some time in the 1960's, and they had a pretty wide selection of locomotives offered.

Some reported questionable running qualities, while others said theirs ran well, some needed mior tinkering to get good running out of them. It sounds like the Sentimental Value would be greater than the resale value, so I would suggest Run and ENJOY them, as that is what model trains were meant for.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your transformer, as most "HO" transformers would not be described as HUGE, if possible include a shot of the electrical info plate, with the Input/Output Voltages and Wattage ratings. Chances are it is the right one for those trains, but HO are USUALLY DC , with the exception of stud rail Marklin, but O Gauge, like Lionel is typically AC power, and many of those transformers can be quite large.

If you have any questions, I would be Happy to try and answer any I can, and if possible pics are usually helpful

Doug
Thanks I appreciate the info. I'll find the transformer and take some pics. It is quite large and it worked years ago last time I ran the trains. They all were running at one time when I was a kid. Now forty years later I've nearly forgot about them. Crappy pics but all I have till daylight. It's about a foot and a half long. Pretty large

18471fa6a61b1f5b83005a570c2ef5d6.jpg

3825abfa1f6e9c24d962e9a90f1fc73d.jpg

Latest posts

Back