Anybody collect anything besides chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really a current or former collection per se but in college, to fund my book purchases I wheeled and dealed on, get this, Magic cards. As in, Magic: The Gathering. By buying in bulk on eBay I could then separate the valuable ones and resell them individually and I made over $1000/year. I got out of it because my returns started getting less and less. Im not sure if the market got saturated or there was some competition that cropped up. Either way before I sold completely out, I had over 100,000 MTG cards. Ive never had so many of anything from a single category before. I still have nearly 20,000 scattered between my house, my parents house, and one of my friends.

So the next logical question is: Was I a Magic nerd? Well you have to be to be able to buy and sell and trade like I did. An offshoot of that, which I learned years later, is that it made me a better poker player. :envy:

Played that game for awhile, I sold out my cards to my brother in-law, he was glad to get them, said I had some rair ones, he played in tournaments till he got tired of play then he sold out.

Steve

1960's-1970's snowmobiles, 1/16th scale farm toys, Vermont license plates, Chevy pickups, farm tractors, hats.
I'm a hoarder trying to be less of a hoarder, so I am trying to downsize, but I love local history, so I keep any of these items that were family or have a known local history/story.

I'll include a picture of the '51 Chevy I got for free when I was 13, my '87 GMC with 24,000 original miles, my toy collection before the downsize and the '67 Sno Jet that was my grandmothers. She was the doctor here in town for 30 years and purchased this machine for emergency house calls in bad weather. She only used it for one house call, but also rode it for fun too.

View attachment 498030

View attachment 498031

View attachment 498032

View attachment 498033
Love the Sno-Jet I had a 197? 4 maybe SST-340 would go like a raped ape when it would go at all...

I have a couple of old toy tractors NIB. One is an Ertl Co-op E5 that has only seen a few minutes of daylight. I also have the complete series of Funline Muscle Machines CARtoons. 36 cars total 18 different car models, each in two different colors, 1/64 scale, in sealed display stand blister packs with magazine cards accompanying each car.
cartoonslogo.jpg upload_2016-10-31_6-47-3.jpeg

Zippo lighters, slowly growing but I like the old ones. Best one is a 1934 store promotional advertisement lighter in pristine condition, newest is a numbered 50th anniversary Ford Mustang lighter, only 5000 made.

My other collection is Griswold cast iron over 100 pc's. 1890s-early 1900's. Have some early Wagner, Piqua ware and Birmingham Stove can't remember the others.
Shep

I collect all kinds of small engines stuff, especially Lawn Boy mowers (2 cycle only). Also collect Hot Wheels. Have roughly 200 of those.

This is a map of where the Chinese settled in our little town ,my property is plot 13, 14, 15 and 16. This map dates from 1860. The Chinese came for the gold, then moved on to work on the railroad.View attachment 498304

That is so cool that you know the history of your property. We went up to Auburn for a weekend getaway about a year ago. I didn't want to leave.

I explore abandoned ghost towns and mines in the deserts for California and Nevada. We followed the gold rush trail across the 40 mile desert the end of September and the Applegate-Lassen Trail through Black Rock Desert the beginning of August. I found a square-cut nail with my metal detector on the 40 Mile Desert Trip. It was about 4" or 5" underground. It's so cool to hold history in your hand like that.

I have collections too although my wife would say i am a hoarder.

I love older machinery that I can use around my house. I have a couple of Cub Cadet garden tractors and implements that were made in the 1970's. I grew up mowing a neighbor's lawn with one I own. They gave it to me about 25 years ago. I have a model 1000, a 1450, a #2 tiller, a Brinley BB-36 box scraper and two 44" mower decks. I also have a Lickety Log Splitter that I use to split wood. I am not sure when it was made but I do know that the company went out of business in 1982.

I collect anything WWII I can get my hands on. It's getting harder to find decent stuff where I live.

I have a collection of antique fishing reels from the 1950's that were my grandfather's.

We have lots and lots of books. We both like to read.

I also have a lot of old chainsaws.

Link to thread with picture of the 1000 and splitter: http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...cs-lickety-log-splitter-and-cub-cadet.261980/

100_1102_zps4bd03315.jpg

Back