Anybody heard from Avalancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just checking my PM for the same reason. I sent him a PM about 2 weeks ago asking how he was doing. If I remember correctly, he had that Lyme. That can be some nasty stuff. I had it for about three years before I found out what was wrong with me. Even after the meds and a year later, I still get some bad days.

Hope all is ok on his end.

Haven't seen our favorite story teller for a while. Hope he's just busy and not more health issues.

Heck, it sure is nice to be missed when a guy vaporizes for a bit, thanks for the concern.

I have been having to deal with some of the side effects of the dratted lyme recently, but with the help of a few good doctors and a very cranky nurse I believe that I am on my way forward once again. You would be surprised at the reaction that a guy can get when an ancient nurse who was born back in the 1800 insists on taking off your boots for ya and discovers a half a cord of oak chips in your boots. And contrary to what that nurse says, I was wearing my town clothes.

While on the mend, I have done some serious soul searching, some self analysis, and to some degree a little self honesty. After a recent visit with a member here, I wondered if I have been totally honest with everyone here as to who I am, who I want to be, and how I want everyone to perceive me. To dissipate any misconceptions of who I am, then here it is.My life story of who I am, and the events that have shaped my life.

I am not a scrawny thin built tree guy.I dont believe in finesse. If I cant muscle it to the ground, heave it in the truck, or convince it that one way or another its going with me, I aint interested. I stand 6foot 1 inch, and top the scales at 260 at my current weight. I have always weighed most of my life in the 240 range, but recent illness has left me a bit more time to lay around and pound on a keyboard rather than the heavy work needed to keep my weight in check.

I don't own a suit, slacks, or anything nice like a dress shirt. If you invite me to your wedding, plan on me tugging on my collar in irritation and muttering under my breath about the clown that fitted this dang suit at the rental place. I come equipped for just about any get together with a pair of levis, a t shirt that looks like maybe it was new back during the Nevada Gold Rush and the same dang boots I pull on every single morning. On Sunday morning they get a polish before heading off to church. I own one nice polo shirt that gets taken out for Sunday, and its always the same shirt. Makes it easy to spot me in a crowd, I have never been confused for the pastor.

I cuss. Lots. Especially when some Jap decides to see how much motor he can cram in an opening the size of a beer can. If I bark my shin, bust a knuckle, or lose a $30 wrench down the radiator cowl, small children, women, pastors, and every dog within 300 yards might want to burn some serious Nike rubber until I get over it.

Dont invite me over for dinner and expect me to sit around in the living afterwards telling stories. It doesnt work that way for me. Every single story I have ever told comes from conversation that sparked a memory from my past. As natural conversation goes along, something is said that will spark something in my mind, and I will find myself drifting back over time. If you are a glutton for punishment, ask me what I am thinking about, and I will be happy to relate the events that made me smile.

Like many of you around here, life has been hard. From the age of ten, I realized that somehow I was very different from the other kids. When I showed up, things happen. I dont know why. I don't cause them to happen, things just work out that way. I have probably spent more time in the ER than any ten of you guys combined, and for that reason my wife not only insures that the health insurance is always paid up, but I am very heavily insured with life insurance. Not that she is greedy, but she has always faced the fact that when I cash in my chips there is surely going to be a few innocent survivors around that will file a lawsuit against my estate to recoup the damages to their barn, house, or anything else I might happen to take with me when I go.

I am very opinionated. If you are an idiot, then chances are one way or another I am probably going to get around to letting you know. On the plus side, I also respect your right to let me know what you think of me and in most cases you are probably going to be right.

I am not some happy go lucky kind of guy. In fact, my wife calls me a curmudgeon. While I look back at events in my life with a great deal of humor and sometimes even with a great deal of fondness, when the events were happening I was not standing around with a great big smile on my face while the world came crashing down around me. Like I said, I cuss. Lots.

With that being said, I enjoy making folks laugh, and I am perfectly willing to make a fool out of myself to entertain a group of folks. But I reckon my humor is a little more twisted than some, for what I think is funny may not appeal to many others. The really sad part is, I often fail to see the humor in many things that have happened in my life, but recognize the fact that folks often enjoy hearing about them. And for that reason, I enjoy story telling.

Well, for now that is my confession. If you are uncomfortable hanging out with a overweight middle aged guy who buys his apparel from the local feed store, has a tendency to make wives nervous, and is also a fine example of the kind of guy you dont want your daughter marrying, then dont invite me over for dinner. I hope this clears up any misconceptions. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I may even answer them if I can manage to clean all this @#$%#$ root bear out of my keyboard.

Well, hell Avalancher!!!

Thanks for writing that for my funeral.

But I am stihl very much alive!!!

Bet the tick that bit, bought the farm!!!

Glad you are on the mend, as it has been my job this year to be the Commondant of sick bay!

Kevin

Haven't bought a new pair of jeans in a long time. Get used work jeans from a vendor at the local flea market, my t-shirts are from seed, feed, local coops or a machinery dealer. Go to enough meetings your clothed for the year. Hope you get that lyme disease kicked in the ass.

whats for dinner? :hmm3grin2orange:

That all depends on the route that I take home. Along the river bottoms I generally can take out a coon before he makes it to the steep part of the ditch. The highway along the lake often can net you a nice possum if you time your swerve right. Other than that, it all depends on what they got left over at the curb store after 10pm. Although I will have to say if all they got left over is those dratted barbecue burritoes, you are better off with what nature can provide. Last time I almost lost a good pair of Levis and a truck seat cover when they made their announced exit before I made it home. Even the dog rolled the window down all on her own, and I aint ever taught her that trick.

Av, any time you're up this way, you're invited to dinner. Sleeves are optional, but recommended anytime after August and before July for you southerners.

Heck, I'm likely to even break out the good Chinette and real glass beer mugs for a fella like you. (Don't carry the beer mugs into the local with ya, they might want em back :D )

That all depends on the route that I take home. Along the river bottoms I generally can take out a coon before he makes it to the steep part of the ditch. The highway along the lake often can net you a nice possum if you time your swerve right. Other than that, it all depends on what they got left over at the curb store after 10pm. Although I will have to say if all they got left over is those dratted barbecue burritoes, you are better off with what nature can provide. Last time I almost lost a good pair of Levis and a truck seat cover when they made their announced exit before I made it home. Even the dog rolled the window down all on her own, and I aint ever taught her that trick.

Oh, thank you so much for this. I thought I had finally forgotten that truck stop burrito that made me lock up the brakes on that freightliner, and drop my pants in the middle of a four lane.:msp_angry:

good to see ya again av. i'll venture to say i'm speaking for most on here, although i'm sure there are some who don't fit my category, when i say you sound like you may be seeing me when you look in the mirror. when i got out of the service in the 70's i described myself as rude, crude, and socially unacceptable. down through the years i've tried to minimize the rude part (not always possible) and just restrict myself to when the much suppressed temper blows over and i just have to tell specific people what i really think (don't think they really wanna hear it though). can say that i'm pretty much still crude and socially unacceptable although i can pretend long enough to pass for one of the crowd (for a little while). tend to agree with george carlin's assessment of the 7 socially unacceptable words; do try not to say them around my kids and grandkids though. i've come to believe that taking the Lord's name in vain is prolly more about using his name and position to "convince" someone they are doing wrong (often only the opinion of the poser) than it is about GDing someone or thing. not too picky about what i eat either. always take the do unto others... instruction literal since i just want people to be straight with me and not play games. you don't like what i do? okay, you have the right to say so. don't mean i really care about your opinion though. in most cases i can agree to disagree long as someone don't press the issue. then, not so much. i can get along with most anyone IF they want to get along. sorry for meandering (older folks tend to get that way and assume that everyone really wants to know what we think), really just wanted to say glad to see ya back and i tend to agree with what you said.

Dear Avalancher,
I have been reading this site for a long time and the first time I read anything from your keyboard was in the craigslist thread when that thread was new. I have always enjoyed your sense of humor, way of spinning a yarn and telling about your escapades. In fact, if you publish your book I'd really like to buy a signed copy. Please pm me when the time is right.

Good luck recovering yet again..... and thank you.

Very glad to hear you are on the mend! Looks like we have the same fashion sense, my wife has been sick all week so I have been picking up the youngest from after school...today the social worker called and asked if we would be needing any "assistance" during the upcoming holidays...I had to promise her I would change out of my work clothes to pick her up from now on.

I'd just like to say that I was the lucky fellow that got to meet him a few days ago. He's been under the weather, and has had a very rough two years, but when I met him he looked great, and I was very proud to finally have the opportunity to shake his hand. He told me some great stories about his past, and we shot the bull for an hour or two before I had to hit the road. Next time we meet, we'll have to get down to some man stuff and fire up the saws and whatnot.

I also encouraged him to get back on AS, for we all missed him here, and I'm glad to see someone else started a thread about him, for in spite of his brash words, he's really a very kind and caring guy, with a good sense of right and wrong, and more personal responsibility than any three of us, except where cell phones are concerned.

If I may make so bold, he even has a red-headed wife, and I salute any fellow man that, like me, takes a ginger for a bride. You never go wrong with red, as long as you know when to buy them chocolates.

Avalancher, thanks so much for your friendship, and for sharing a bit of you life with us all here on AS, and a bit more with me in person. It's an honor I greatly cherish.

Wow! Them be some mighty fine words Stach. Many of us would have left this site long ago if not for him. The truth is, I’ve been gone for a long time myself and only check in every now and then to see how he was doing. That Lyme can do funny things to a persons mind. One day you can be your normal self and the next day you can’t remember how to spell your own name. If that's not bad enough, someday I get those mood swings. I'm just glad my wife doesn't have red hair. :msp_ohmy:

If I remember correctly, she is a peach of a gal. If he gets to be anything like me, I gott'a give the little woman a lot of credit.

This forum has a great bunch of people on it. Almost like family.

It goes to show you we are seem to care.

Back