Anybody miss winter yet...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guns, been in the low 90's most every day here in mid-Ga this past week...and just is June. Bream, bass, and crappie fishin's been damn good so far this year, but it'll peter out a bit due to the oncoming heat. Come late July thru Sept we'll be itching for a fall/winter to come. Just gets blistering hot and stays that way 7-days a week...and the 90-100 humidity every day just compounds it.

Ground is rock hard here most places. I can handle around 2-3 hours mowing and bush hogging, and that's it, my head feels like I have gone ten rounds with a heavyweight. And I go slow, real slow, dusty and bouncy, don't want to break equipment or my neck. All the bouncing around. I'm actually taking today off to recuperate from the week. Every time they claim it is gonna rain, nothing, clouds up, dissipates, maybe a few sprinkles. In one day I lost most of my fruit off the trees, it all just fell off! Took that as a clue and ran the hose on them for hours.

I'd like to go cut some easy clean splitting wood, but can't until oakzilla is split and stacked. Every dang piece is twisted and got knots, etc.

I am starting a separate savings account, keep socking it away until I can get a log boss.

Ground is rock hard here most places. I can handle around 2-3 hours mowing and bush hogging, and that's it, my head feels like I have gone ten rounds with a heavyweight. And I go slow, real slow, dusty and bouncy, don't want to break equipment or my neck. All the bouncing around. I'm actually taking today off to recuperate from the week. Every time they claim it is gonna rain, nothing, clouds up, dissipates, maybe a few sprinkles. In one day I lost most of my fruit off the trees, it all just fell off! Took that as a clue and ran the hose on them for hours.

I'd like to go cut some easy clean splitting wood, but can't until oakzilla is split and stacked. Every dang piece is twisted and got knots, etc.

I am starting a separate savings account, keep socking it away until I can get a log boss.
I hear ya. And I like that Log Boss. Never heard of it til @Whitespider mentioned he had one a long time ago, then looked them up on the Internet. Good log splitter, nice hydraulic setup and built damn good.

Zog, you might do well to contact DHT to see if they have or will have any demo units in your area. You can get a pretty good deal as its too expensive to ship them back so they sell them on the spot after the demo is over.

Yes yes and yes. Plow or blow snow every so often not mow grass every 3 to 4 days. Hunting deer squirrels and rabbits is fun look out coyotes we got your number. Ice fishing if you like that drilling holes, and more holes moving to find the fish.
Snowmobiling, cross country skiing and snow shoeing. Beats the heck out of sitting in a chair in your thong watching old movie reruns cause it is so darn hot and humid.

ry%3D400

You can have the heat and humidity, gnats mosquitos and all the rest of those biting bugs.

:D Al

Yesterday I pulled my summer clothes out of the attic and packed up my winter clothes. I hate that day every year. I am the anti-bear. I want to crawl into hibernation at the end of May then wake up on that first crisp day of September. I'm just miserable in the summer heat. Always have been, even as a kid.

I still can't believe the lack of mosquitos we have. The other night I fell asleep in the chair by the firepit and snoozed for about an hour and didn't have a single one on me. Nearly no ticks too. I have found one tick on me and one on my son so far. Mine was a deer tick so he met a bic lighter

I figured October thru April is when I wear a base layer. heck the high today is 57
<----Cohasset, MN
I lived down south most of my life and I'll take the cold over the high heat any day.

Agree with that! During my 21 years in AF I spent too many tours in Central TX, high point was leaving San Angelo at 9am on change of station, bank thermometer was reading 109!, couple summers in DC. Only place I have ever been where one could stand in a rain shower and be sweating!

Heat wave going on here past 3 days, right now temp is 92 about 20 degrees above normal. couple more days of this to go before I can go back to cutting wood.

I still can't believe the lack of mosquitos we have. The other night I fell asleep in the chair by the firepit and snoozed for about an hour and didn't have a single one on me. Nearly no ticks too. I have found one tick on me and one on my son so far. Mine was a deer tick so he met a bic lighter

Seen a couple ticks but nothing too crazy. Swatted a mosquito Saturday night by the fire but he was a loner. Nothing like the swarms that try to carry you off some times.

I was just not built for hot weather, or maybe I was. I sweat just from thinking hard and that's no joke. I can handle working in the heat all day long but sweat literally pours off me. What I hate the most is sweat running in my eyes and ears. My face gets raw from wiping it all day long. Did I mention I hate cutting grass?

We have already hit 90/90. Thats 90F and 90% humidity and it isn't even summer yet. Gonna be a long season. Bring on Fall.

I was just not built for hot weather, or maybe I was. I sweat just from thinking hard and that's no joke. I can handle working in the heat all day long but sweat literally pours off me. What I hate the most is sweat running in my eyes and ears. My face gets raw from wiping it all day long. Did I mention I hate cutting grass?

We have already hit 90/90. Thats 90F and 90% humidity and it isn't even summer yet. Gonna be a long season. Bring on Fall.

Try something like this:

sweatbands_zps53rsrjdt.jpg

I get them from my wife's sister in Kamloops BC - issued to the saw mill workers They look rather ineffective but soak up more sweath than you can believe when you squeeze one out. Back in the day when I used cut wood in the heat I would have at least three working in rotation, wearing one and two hanging on something drying. They last a long time before becoming saturated.

Sports stores have similar, their's are larger. I tried them but they didn't stnad up to the torture very well. I also mop my head when needed with small face towels, not bandanas - they are too rough.

Me, not even a little! We're just now getting ready for our annual father's day camping trip.. Wish it was summer for 11 months a year.

Horseflies, gnats, mosquitos, all came at once and are great in numbers, no see ums will come shortly, I have to keep visor down just because some of those are eye seeking bastards, there is constant pinging on visor and helmet and it is not the plant life I'm cutting with trimmer.

I most prefer autumn, temperature around 50 with close to freezing nights, blood suckers will not fly and my toes won't freeze.

Not missing winter too much, -20 and air so hard to breathe, but this almost 70 degrees of heat is not my thing either, I can only produce sweat, not a chance to get firewood chopped.

Thankfully there is rain, storm like winds and below 60 temps coming, I rather chop wood in rain than in middle of blood suckers.

Hell no!

Winter is nearly 8 months here. Thankfully summers are nice, it's the only saving grace!

Summer Out Door fashion is a mosquito jacket with head net and mittens to protect you from those biting blood sucking pest.

Summer indoor fashion is a thong. so you can set and watch a movie with out melting away or water damaging the furniture.

:D Al

Back