Anybody sharpen their wedges???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol i have used my axe on about 5 trees that were over 5dbh :potstir:. and yes they were wild trees. i had used a couple wedges on most of them and they were almost over so instead of wasting time and hammering in another wedge i just lifted them over. theirs no reason to condemn somebodys idea just cause u cut (wild trees) lol. although looking closely at the felling bar it doesent look like u get quite the leverage that i do. the maul has a 36 inch handle thats twisting a 2.5" head in the cut vs the other thingy you are basically just inserting it and lifting instead of twisting if that makes any sense lol. thanks for the part numbers ill hafto check them out and see if they fit my budget lol :msp_thumbup:

I've got something that will fit your budget logger and work every bit as good as a felling lever. A leafspring spring out of a pick-up works ,just pick a leaf of whatever length you like ,I have a long and a short one,the taper at the end allows them to slide easily into the cut. I usually use it with the curve facing to the ground, works better than the ones you buy. Leaves out of a heavy duty or 3/4 ton are great,very best of steel. Try it,but if you get any ideas about patenting it I want my cut!!! The bit of give in the spring seems to make them lift even better and I've never broke one. I suppose if you want to feel like you've gotten something all shiny and new you could paint it up to match your saw colors !

I've been logging for 30yrs. and using them for the last 20,works for me, as far as anyone else I guess it's up to them. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I will say that hanging around the stump as the tree is falling trying to tip it more is foolish. You could get yourself injured or killed that way. Especially with the 5' dbh trees you are cutting. Please, just set your wedges and get out of the danger zone.[/QUOTE]

lol. i was just picking fun, but one question? if the tree is falling then why would i be trying to tip it? :confused2: but honestly i would rather be lifting on a maul while watching the sky and any widowmakers that are up their and also standing to the side of the tree than standing behind a tree with all my attention on pounding wedges. just a thought. i think my sense of sarcasm sometimes gets me into trouble because people cant sense that im just pokin a little fun.:msp_thumbsup:

I've got something that will fit your budget logger and work every bit as good as a felling lever. A leafspring spring out of a pick-up works ,just pick a leaf of whatever length you like ,I have a long and a short one,the taper at the end allows them to slide easily into the cut. I usually use it with the curve facing to the ground, works better than the ones you buy. Leaves out of a heavy duty or 3/4 ton are great,very best of steel. Try it,but if you get any ideas about patenting it I want my cut!!! The bit of give in the spring seems to make them lift even better and I've never broke one. I suppose if you want to feel like you've gotten something all shiny and new you could paint it up to match your saw colors ![/QUOTE]

ahh yes theirs a good idea. a leaf spring should be indestructible and inexpinsive also. thanks for the idea. im going to fiddle around with it some more and see if i cant fine tune the tecnique. if i get anywhere ill post pics :msp_thumbsup:

Mostly I do use wedges, no metal ones either,sorry to disappoint you. I simply offered up an alternative to buying a felling lever or "falling lever" if it makes you happy. I do call it falling but the term for those levers is felling levers at least that's how they're named in the brochures I've seen. Yes you'll have to give us all some "felling" lessons for us poor easterners then maybe we'll learn to do it the left coast right way !!

One thing I do know for certain is that there's not a whole lot of nuclear physicist brainiac types among us or we'd have found an easier way to make a living !!

Last edited:
As Mentioned in my original post , Im not trying to be Insulting are comming across as a ####### , I was just expressing my thoughts. Its just sometimes I think guys come into Falling/Felling a little "untrained" so instead of be able to learn the skill and gain confidence of there Ability they turn over to these "Tactics" of timber falling.

Fair enough,big diff. between what I fall and what you do, our biggest trees max out at about 4ft. & 110,& they're pretty scarce now. Company I work for is sitting on 6000 acres of prob. the best timber left in this whole little backwards province and all we've got to cut on it are a few roads !! It's just not fair !

Latest posts

Back