Anybody twisted the beam on their splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the beam on my buddies TW-2. His isn't quite that bad but it still have a twist in it. He's only split 150 or so cords with it. Every time I see him I tell him he should have bought a super splitter. Funny I have never seen a twisted beam on a supper splitter. :hmm3grin2orange:

Scott

I see mine flex from time to time but it ain't twisted yet.

I did on the first splitter i built. This is my second and even with the hardest twisted wood you don't see any deflection in the beam.

attachment.php

I haven't twisted the beam on my splitter but the guy that splits for my dad sometimes ripped the wedge off of it. We welded it back and it's been fine since. Our log mauler for the bobcat, it's an upside down splitter for big rounds has a bent and twists beam. It still works. Building a newer bigger one is on our list of things to do but everyone who lives on a farm knows the to do list never ends.

Well Built

Eric 271: Your splitter looks great. It looks as if it is built so well it will handle any round placed on it.

Nosmo

HF splitter, 30 ton, bent , twisted, and generally destroyed the beam over the course of 8 years. Built new beam from 4x6x.25"x6ft walled steel tubes( 2 pieces welded side x side) with a .375" x 8" steel plate on top welded to the tubes. Wedge on end, ripped the wedge off once( not enough penetration on the welds) corrected that and re-plumbed the whole system reducing or eliminating the flow restrictions of the original. Trial by fire was 10 hrs of OAK, Hickory and Elm in one day ( the temps that Sunday were about 95 deg. with humidity about the same) not hitch and no over heating either. I have about 10 cord of sugar maple to split before the snow flies ( 2012-13 fuel)

Eric 271: Your splitter looks great. It looks as if it is built so well it will handle any round placed on it.

Nosmo

mga said:
damn, eric, that splitter looks good.

nice job!!

Thanks guy's. It's a horizontal/ vertical. Pull some pins on the tables and the slide off for vertical splitting. I saw pics of a splitter minus the table's at the splitez site and wanted one but couldn't swing for the $4,800 so i bought a little scrap steel, a 5'' cylinder and a 22 gpm barn's pump and built it. The hyd tank is 35 gallon and the 17 H.P. Kohler and 5 gal fuel tank came off my old Toro riding mower.
Believe it or not the most expensive part of the build was the plumbing and fittings. Got a little sticker shock when i seen that ticket. Lol

I don't plan to build one. The last time I welded anything was in 7th grade shop class. I think I might be a little out of practice! :laugh:

I do have a torch, though. Got it a couple of months back. Oxy-acetylene rig from Craigslist.

FREE.

Yep, FREE. Fella was moving up to a nice TIG unit. I checked CL when I got to work in the morning, like I usually do. Saw it, emailed, went and got it and came back to work. Total elapsed time, 30 minutes. :D

It needs new hoses. I got two cutting heads and a welding head with it. Tanks, cart, the whole nine yards. :clap:

But even with the torch, I don't plan to build a splitter from scratch. My Speeco works just fine. I may build some accessories, but that's about it.

If I ever hit the lottery, I'll probably buy a Split Right. :love1:

I ripped the wedge off mine and bent the end of the beam down about 3". It was a funky crotch in a piece of oak about 40". The gauge was at 2500 and the wood was moving I thought. I couldnt see that I was ripping the wedge off.
Splitter is built on 8x8x3/8 beam with a 6" bore cyl. I had to cut about 2 feet off the end and weld on a new piece. I also added a couple pieces of 1/2 plate parelell and about an inch out from the vertical web. That really helped with the flexing. I got pics of the carnage somewhere.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I ripped the wedge off mine and bent the end of the beam down about 3". It was a funky crotch in a piece of oak about 40". The gauge was at 2500 and the wood was moving I thought. I couldnt see that I was ripping the wedge off.
Splitter is built on 8x8x3/8 beam with a 6" bore cyl. I had to cut about 2 feet off the end and weld on a new piece. I also added a couple pieces of 1/2 plate parelell and about an inch out from the vertical web. That really helped with the flexing. I got pics of the carnage somewhere.

That makes me feel better about bending my foot plate! :laugh:

People who brag their 20 ton MTD has never seen wood that would stop it, just haven't seen tough wood.

splitter

eric that is 1 sweet looking splitter good fab work god bless

Latest posts

Back