Anybody Use this maul ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering about those monster type mauls .. how they work and are they worth it?

Along with a welded piece of pipe on the bottom of the head, I would also put a big steel washer with a lag bolt into the top of the handle to hold the head on. Save your money, for a few bucks you can make a maul just as good for under $40.

I was wondering about those monster type mauls .. how they work and are they worth it?

Nothing better for splitting up tough or large rounds. I use my regular 8 lb maul for medium stuff and the double edged axe for the stuff that barely needs to be split.

They do get tiring to use after a while though.

Nothing better for splitting up tough or large rounds. I use my regular 8 lb maul for medium stuff and the double edged axe for the stuff that barely needs to be split.

They do get tiring to use after a while though.

Yeah I can imagine.. what are they about 14 pounds? that will get tiring after a bit. unless you are the incredible hulk ...
and I saw that $140 for a splitting maul? good grief... it out to split for you at that price... ouch:jawdrop:

Yeah I can imagine.. what are they about 14 pounds? that will get tiring after a bit. unless you are the incredible hulk ...
and I saw that $140 for a splitting maul? good grief... it out to split for you at that price... ouch:jawdrop:

For that price it should also stack the wood for you.

The good ol' Sotz Monster Maul. Big and orange, that thing would pop just about any block of wood open with one or 2 good swings. My Dad bought one, and the neck weld busted after 2 years of hard use. They had a lifetime guarantee, so he sent it in, got a new one. Same thing happened 2-3 years later. Got a 3rd one, I busted it, but by then, Sotz had gone out of business. I will stick to my wooden handle mauls, I like them better anyway. For the OP, that maul head is made for Stihl by Oxhead, and the Stihl maul is about $85.

when I was manually splitting... a long time ago... a hydraulic splitter is the only way to go!

a solid steel monster maul worked best for me. mine's is orange. this type splitter worked the best out of all different types of mauls I tried.

Bailey's has em for $47

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15780

15780_L.jpg

Last edited:
I also used a monster maul for about 25 years and loved it. Tried a Fiskars splitting axe this year and love it even more. $40 at menards with a lifetime handle warranty. $140 for a hand maul is retarded expensive!

I've always used a MM as well, but I also bought the Fiskars.I can't say I love it, yet, as it seems to bounce off the Hickory and Locust I've been cutting.I'll try it on the Oak I cut this weekend.It does have nice balance and seems well made.

Latest posts

Back