Anyone built there own log splitter? I'm thinking about it...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I found a old log splitter attachment for a farm tractor and was told I could have it for free. I have some spare metal laying around and the welders to make one... My neighbor has a splitter he lets me use but it's a little gutless....

So what would be the major expenses if I have the metal and the hydralic cylinder? what would be a good hyd pump and motor combo? would it be worth it to make my own or are the parts going to cost me to much????

I wish I had A dollar for everytime somebody has asked me this in the last 15 years I have done hydraulics. The bottom line is if you want a basic splitter it is cheaper to buy one. If you want something above the basic splitter than it swings the other way. I have built a couple and the smallest had a 16hp liquid cooled v twin with a 28 GPM pump. My biggest expense was the pump motor for $600, the rest was basically given to me and I still had $1200 into without my time. BUT it is fun to build something better than you can buy!! CJ

I wish I had A dollar for everytime somebody has asked me this in the last 15 years I have done hydraulics. The bottom line is if you want a basic splitter it is cheaper to buy one. If you want something above the basic splitter than it swings the other way. I have built a couple and the smallest had a 16hp liquid cooled v twin with a 28 GPM pump. My biggest expense was the pump motor for $600, the rest was basically given to me and I still had $1200 into without my time. BUT it is fun to build something better than you can buy!! CJ

I guess looking at your specs I am more of the basic kind. Backyard splitting for 2 wood burners (shop and home). It might not be feasable but could you run a verticle shaft engine instead of a horizontal shaft? Between me and my buddies, we believe one of us should have a small engine that could power the pump (vert. and hori. shaft 3-12hp). What kind of small pump would you recommend using for a home use log splitter? kinda trying to figure cost of parts that I actually need. Chassis/wheels, cylinder, and motor are all things we believe are areas we have covered... I know it would depend on motor/pump combos; to determine what parts would cost but we are looking at the cost of a good hydro pump vs a 30-37ton splitter from Northern ($1600-$1900)...

16 GPM 2 stage pump,8 hp or better engine, splitter valve, tank. You can run a pump verticle or horizontal it does not matter. Just don't forget all your little stuff like engine pump adapters, hoses,fittings,couplers,oil ect,ect. It all adds up. CJ

16 GPM 2 stage pump,8 hp or better engine, splitter valve, tank. You can run a pump verticle or horizontal it does not matter. Just don't forget all your little stuff like engine pump adapters, hoses,fittings,couplers,oil ect,ect. It all adds up. CJ

My buddy works at a shop that does a ton of hydralic work... he doesn't do the hydro work, but he can still get hose, fittings, fluid and valves for the commercial cost (which i understand is substantially less than consumer cost). We were going to make our own tank out of 1/8in steel plate... My other buddy works at a fab shop so smaller (24inx36in) pieces are readily available for scrap price to him. Hell we could even add finns to the steel tank to help the fluid cool... I have a 11hp verticle B&S motor that runs good but needs a muffler... In combination, between the 3 of us, we have the parts and metal for a decent trailer...

Couple questions...

1.) what determintes the "ton" rating of the splitter? the pump, motor, or hydralic ram?

2.) Couplers: I assume with the right coupler I could mate any pump to any motor... But, is mixing and matching motors and pumps a problem to find specific couplers? Or can i find a coupler for about any situation?

1) Tonnage is pressure x bore diameter. Typically splitter pumps will produce 3000 psi. At max. pressure a 4" bore will give you 18.8 tons, a 4.5" bore will give you 23.8 tons, and a 5" bore will give you 29.4 tons.

2) Pump adaptors are available for most horizontal engines. Vertical shaft engines require custom made adaptors. Which are not difficult to make.

1) tonnage is pressure x bore diameter. Typically splitter pumps will produce 3000 psi. At max. Pressure a 4" bore will give you 18.8 tons, a 4.5" bore will give you 23.8 tons, and a 5" bore will give you 29.4 tons.

2) pump adaptors are available for most horizontal engines. Vertical shaft engines require custom made adaptors. Which are not difficult to make.

+1 cj

Tonnage math

1) Tonnage is pressure x bore diameter. Typically splitter pumps will produce 3000 psi. At max. pressure a 4" bore will give you 18.8 tons, a 4.5" bore will give you 23.8 tons, and a 5" bore will give you 29.4 tons.

2) Pump adaptors are available for most horizontal engines. Vertical shaft engines require custom made adaptors. Which are not difficult to make.

Actually it's this way.... bore dia. X 3.14 = bore Area Area X max psi = total pressure Total pressure psi / 2000 psi = tonnage

So for a 4" bore cyl. you get 4 X 3.14 = 12.56 square inches 12.56 X 3000 psi = 37,680 psi 37,680/2000 = 18.84 tons

For a 4.5" cyl you get 21.2 tons and 23.5 tons for a 5" cyl.

Also look at the specs. for the pump and valve. They both may have design features that lower you max. operating pressure. You may find that you are actually running as low as 2,500 psi or lower.

I don't mean this to come off as snippy. I just hate mfgrs. false tonnage claims.

Roy

Splitter parts

My buddy works at a shop that does a ton of hydralic work... he doesn't do the hydro work, but he can still get hose, fittings, fluid and valves for the commercial cost (which i understand is substantially less than consumer cost). We were going to make our own tank out of 1/8in steel plate... My other buddy works at a fab shop so smaller (24inx36in) pieces are readily available for scrap price to him. Hell we could even add finns to the steel tank to help the fluid cool... I have a 11hp verticle B&S motor that runs good but needs a muffler... In combination, between the 3 of us, we have the parts and metal for a decent trailer...

Couple questions...

1.) what determintes the "ton" rating of the splitter? the pump, motor, or hydralic ram?

2.) Couplers: I assume with the right coupler I could mate any pump to any motor... But, is mixing and matching motors and pumps a problem to find specific couplers? Or can i find a coupler for about any situation?

I thin you have some of the good connections that make building a splitter viable from a $$ point of view. I would go ahead with the build if you have the time. See my build here http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/158031.htm

I had the steel, engine and 4" cyl. for free.

Best of luck!

Roy

I agree with CJ.
You cant build a basic splitter for what you can buy one for. Period! I have figured it every way possible and it does not add up.

I am in the process of building my own, not necessarily to save money, but to upgrade and add elements that work for me. Also i had all of the steel, axle, wheels tires already. And i enjoy the work.
I will have about $1200 in mine when its done. But, instead of the 160 cc B&S and 11gpm pump, i went with the 200cc commercial Honda and a 13.6 gpm pump. Also have built it to fit me, being 6ft5 many of the store bought ones are just too short.

If you can scrounge or already have a good amount of the parts then go for it. There are many posts on here about this exact topic and everyone has their opinion. I am putting the finishing touches on mine (painted yesterday) and am glad i decided to build my own.

Here is my splitter project http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/172061.htm

Last edited:
Sorry radroy92, since you claimed "Actually it's this way....", I gotta fix the "error" in your math....You are still my favorite welder on this forum....LOL

Actually it's this way.... bore dia. X 3.14 = bore Area Area X max psi = total pressure Total pressure psi / 2000 psi = tonnage

So for a 4" bore cyl. you get 4 X 3.14 = 12.56 square inches 12.56 X 3000 psi = 37,680 psi 37,680/2000 = 18.84 tons

For a 4.5" cyl you get 21.2 tons and 23.5 tons for a 5" cyl.

Also look at the specs. for the pump and valve. They both may have design features that lower you max. operating pressure. You may find that you are actually running as low as 2,500 psi or lower.

I don't mean this to come off as snippy. I just hate mfgrs. false tonnage claims.

Roy

"Actually it's this way...."

Piston area = bore diam x bore diam x pi /4 (pi=3.14)
Ram force = piston area x pressure (sqi x psi)
examples...for every 3000psi
bore diameter >> piston area
4.0>> 4.0 x 4.0 x 3.14 / 4 = 12.56 sqi >> 12.56 x 3000 = 37680 lbs = 18.840 ton
4.5>> 4.5 x 4.5 x 3.14 / 4 = 15.90 sqi >> 15.90 x 3000 = 47700 lbs = 23.850 ton
5.0>> 5.0 x 5.0 x 3.14 / 4 = 19.63 sqi >> 19.63 x 3000 = 56550 lbs = 28.275 ton

Latest posts

Back