Anyone Burn Brush Chipper Chips In Their Stove Or Furnace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not chips or sawdust, but I do burn my scraps from cutting/splitting. I built a large wooden box to keep them dry and add an ash buckets worth after placing a few logs over top of the coals, then fill the remainder of the box with logs. Doing so this way helps keep the burn process clean, and am keeping the house warm with what usually amounts to several tractor buckets worth of scraps each year rather than having to find a way to discard it.

20231008_172132.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/HayWHNKN-Animal-Pellet-Chicken-Machine/dp/B08P4JP7WW
Cheap Chinese pellet mill. Looks like for animal food, but the shiny sides of the pellets make me think it's good enough for burning in a pellet stove.

Any of these would have to be largely automated, set and forget, with feed stock generated on site, to be worth the trouble. If I have to prep the material first, and then babysit the machine, might as well just burn firewood.

I own a Buskirk pellet mill and have for a long time. Mine is PTO driven and requires around 30 pto horsepower to drive it. I believe Buskirk (Ossian, Indiana) is no longer in business but I never needed any replacement parts because I only used it a couple years and I was pelletizing old round bales of hay I could not sell. Making pellets is a royal PITA, much easier to buy them pre made in 40 pound bags, which I do and I mix them with off grade seed corn, how we heat the house and the shop. I get my off grade seed corn for free so it's pretty cheap heat. The Buskirk will pelletize about everything from sawdust to hay, it will even pelletize old dry leaves.

Sitting in the barn collecting dust.

Been heating with off grade seed corn and pellets for about 20 years now.

I have 2 multifuel stoves, one in the house and one in the shop.

I might add that the outfit I retired from used a Hurst Scotchback 100 horsepower steam boiler that they fired with wood chips and have contracts with all the local arborists around them where they take all the chips.

They have a huge open ended on both ends, Clearspan Truss arch building (same as the one I own) but mine has roll up doors on both ends, I store my tractors and harm implements in as well as my RV and round bales if I have any left over after my one customer takes all he wants...

They have the chip trucks dump under the Clearspan and then they use a front end loader to pile them up inside. The boiler has a moving feed floor next to it in a separate building and they load the moving floor feeder with the front end loader.

Don't matter if the wood chips are green or dry, the boiler is computer controlled and senses the moisture content of the chips and adjusts the primary and secondary draft control automatically to compensate for differences in moisture content.

The chip feed is via a large auger that feeds the chips into the firebox but the chips have to pass from the feed conveyor in the other building through what is called a 'clarifier' which pulls out large chunks of wood that would jam the auger as well as landscape rakes, busted up road signs, jackets, pants, hardhats and occasionally a chain saw or brush cutter.

Because it's a gasifier boiler, it burns the fuel twice. Once in the fire bed and once in the firebrick arch above the fire bed so there is no smoke emitted by the stack, all you see is heat coming off and you can smell the woodsmoke though you cannot see anything and it's EPA approved too. It also has a fly ash scrubber on it and the fly ash goes in a 55 gallon drum which gets emptied into a roll off box and goes to the landfill.

Quite the contraption, like I said, all computer controlled so it really don't require human attention constantly and if there is an issue, the computer alerts one of the maintenance people who are all certified high pressure steam anyway. About the only human intervention is shoveling out the ashes and I've done that on occasion myself.

If you goggle up Hurst Corporation, they have a nice website and I believe the unit I'm talking about is on their site. I have pictures of it but I need to find them. If I do, I'll post them up. They use it to heat their steel pickling line as well as the offices.

When it's bitter cold out and the steam demand is high, it burns around 1000 pounds of wood chips per hour.

Quite something to see plus it keeps the steel warehouse (where it's located at) toasty all winter but in the summer it's really hot in there.

I used to deliver parts to a lumber mill that burned their own wood scraps to run a boiler. Steam heated the place, provided process heat, heated the drying kilns, and ran a steam turbine to generate power. Slick setup.

I have burned plenty of corn cobs and black walnut hulls in my shop stove and let me tell you it burns HOT!
That don't work with mine because the fuel (shelled corn or wood pellets is delivered via computer controlled auger to the fire chamber so when the thermostat (both of them are controlled by a remote thermostat) calls for heat, the on board computer increases the fuel delivery until the thermostat is satisfied then it cuts the feed back to an idle mode. Both mine are old as in 20 years old. Modern units actually go completely out and then restart when the thermostat calls for heat. They have a Calrod ignitor that ignites the fuel. I don't.. Whatever fuel I use, it has to fit the auger flights.

I do not burn oilseed like soybeans because the burn way too hot. Just shelled corn (below 10% RM and processed wood pellets.

Latest posts

Back