Anyone else burning yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I was right. Lit the boiler Friday night and due to these cool evenings and mornings she'll likely be going till April now.

Had a few fires the last few nights, more because of the wind chilling the house, temps still around 10c+ but the Wife likes it toasty...... time for the winter shorts!!

None yet, but I've been thinking about it.

About 200 - 300 ft lower in elevation than the hills on either side of the farmhouse, and is almost like a micro climate. On a still night with no wind, it can be 5 - 10 deg F cooler at the house. Been into the low 40's a couple times. Starting to fall into the 60's in the house pretty steady, so it might not be long now before I'm burning a couple hours at nigth to keep the 1st floor comfy.

Tossed in a couple pine blocks this morning to take the chill off.. The sun won't come out so its staying cool today.. :(

Getting closer. I double checked the chimney and stove today, and have some kindling and junk wood brought in for the occasion. Hasn't hit 70 in the house yet today, if it's down in the 50s when I get home tonight, I'll find a match.

Got home to 59° upstairs, slightly warmer downstairs, but high humidity, so I got out the strike-m-anywheres and touched off a small load of pine at about 12:30. 2 hours later, temp is up close to 70 upstairs, might be downright warm in here by morning.

I can't remember the last time I lit the stove in September. I blame it all on peer pressure.

Well, that and having wood to spare, something I never had back in the day.

Yep, last nite I struck a fire to the OWB.
Forecast was calling for low 40's this morning and HEY!! whataya know,,they had it rite,,,for once.!!
40 degrees outside and the house feels pretty good rite now.
I dialed the H2O thermometer/temperature back to 145-155 and just a few small pieces of wood.
I wonder if we'll get an "Indian Summer" for a couple/few weeks of nice weather again?

Yup....fuel oil :msp_ohmy: Not staying cold enough for me to fire the OWB yet, the furnace has been only kicking on for a few minutes some mornings. October is my usual boiler light for the season :rock:

First fire was Monday night with a quarter load of ash. Dipped into the low 40's overnight. 2nd fire last night but not as cold. Don't think I need another till Friday with a low of 37F predicted and highs in the mid 50's for Saturday. Good time to burn up some of those oddballs and short pieces...

It's about an every morning thing now. The house is still ok in the evening at bed time, but a little chilly in the am, I light a quick fire with some white pine, the tree fell over in April during a storm, I cut it and split it and its ready to burn now. Free wood free heat.

There's been grumblings the last couple of mornings in the Williams household about a fire. I'm trying to put it off as long as possible though cause with only down in the 50s it will get hot quickly. I imagine the women folk will win the argument sooner or later, they usually do :msp_rolleyes:

Like I posted earlier, I run my OWB year round. We have had a couple of nights in the upper 30's but I haven't turned up the thermostats yet. My daughter who lives in the basement was asking if I would turn the heater back on because was cold. The answer was no it's too early!

Like I posted earlier, I run my OWB year round. We have had a couple of nights in the upper 30's but I haven't turned up the thermostats yet. My daughter who lives in the basement was asking if I would turn the heater back on because was cold. The answer was no it's too early!

Why are you hoarding the heat if your burning anyway??

First fire was last night. Wasn't really cold, but that storm that rolled through left everything damp. At least alot of my clothes were damp..... and the dog was damp. Hard frost predicted tonight. No doubt I'll light the stove after dark tonight also. In fact, I'm headed out right now to bring in hanging plants, cover the pepper plants, etc.

Latest posts

Back