Anyone else burning yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, my splits even seem to get smaller every year :hmm3grin2orange:

I split mine in 4' lengths so they have to be light enough to load onto the cord wood trailer and then be stacked afterward. The oak seems to get split the smallest for some reason. :msp_smile:

Broke down this eve. when I got home at the wife's suggestion. House never really warmed up today, so an hour of burning some loose bark and some ant nest oak gave us a little smudge of heat, cooked up supper, and boiled enough water for the wife to dye a bunch of wool destined to be spun into some kind of fiber art.

No fire Here

No need for a fire here.
It is mid 50's at night and mid 80's during the day.

Sure feels better than the 105 we had a month or two back.:msp_tongue:

David

OK… So I’m a big fat liar.

Yesterday morning, after coffee and checking AS, I head outside to get something done… had to fasten the top button of my shirt, it was like only three degrees above freezing out there. The first thing I notice is a puddle under the little tractor… darn if one of the tires ain’t leaking fluid at the valve stem core. Thinking it might be loose, I slide under there to give it a tightening and it breaks… and now I’ve got calcium chloride solution on me. I get the leak slowed down with a metal valve stem cap, get the wheel off and pump out the fluid with my homemade (leaky) pump. Anyway, by the time I get a new tube installed and everything washed-up I’m wet over a third of my body. No sun, windy and barely in the 40’s by this time.

So I figure I’m wet already, might as well wash-up some of the storm windows and such. By the time I get that done the wife wants me to build a corn shock for fall decoration and harvest the pumpkins and gourds for the same reason. The garden was wet, and by the time I get all that done I’m pretty much wet from head to toe… it’s mid-afternoon, still no sun, still windy and the temp somewhere in the 50’s. I got’ta say, I was startin’ to get a bit chilly.

'Bout that time mom called, she and dad had just got back from the summer lake home. Mom asked if I’d run down and help dad unload some stuff. So I jump on the open golf cart and buzz down to their house… helped dad unload the ATV and a few other miscellaneous. That didn’t take long, but then he wanted to have a couple beers and kick the can around a little. So there we stood, down by the river sippin’ beer, me still mostly wet (calcium chloride never drys), and the temperature droppin’.

It was after dark when I came up the road on the golf cart, belly full of cold beer, wet, and more than a bit chilly. Spent a little time getting’ “stuff” picked up and put away and walked in the house. Well, after that cold(ish) night, morning and day with no sun it was only 62[sup]o[/sup] in the house… and now I was flat cold. A hot shower helped, but it wasn’t enough to get the down-deep chill from the bones…

I started a fire… and it weren’t no little one neither! Sat right next to the firebox for a couple hours.

Yeah, I know I said there wouldn't be a fire here until Halloween... and I don’t believe I’ve ever in my life had the fire goin’ in September… but a-guy’s-got’ta-do-what-a-guy’s-got’ta-do.

49 outside last night and 76 in the shop.
Myself, daughter, grandson
ry%3D480

Last edited:
Low 40's here this morning started the first fire just to take the morning chill off :msp_w00t:

Just started my first - more to be sure everything's operating correctly. It is cooling off at night now though.

y2yzy3yb.jpg

Can smell the stove polish burning off as I type.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ask yer wife :msp_w00t:

You started :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

So I asked her and she agreed with you. Some guys might be offended, but instead, i decided to make myself more manly. I made an appointment with one of those hair implant places........ for my chest. We'll see who's more manly in two weeks !! :msp_wink:

So I asked her and she agreed with you. Some guys might be offended, but instead, i decided to make myself more manly. I made an appointment with one of those hair implant places........ for my chest. We'll see who's more manly in two weeks !! :msp_wink:

Meh....I'll have a fire going by then :D

Yup. Started the first fire of the season today. :)

Temp dropped last night to the mid-50s and the house got cold. Warmed up a little today but the house was still cold. Asked the SheWolf if she wanted a fire yet.

She's setting there in her sweats and sweater, under a blanket. "Yeah, just to take this chill off." :D

Had loaded the stove already in anticipation of this day. Just had to light it. Sure wish I'd remembered to clean the dust off... that first fire burning dust smell ain't pretty. ;)

2012-09-24_19-43-37_426.jpg

Yes. Yes I did. Last night. Burned a load and a half of ash and still warm this mornin.

Yes. Yes I did. Last night. Burned a load and a half of ash and still warm this mornin.

That's a nice stove! What kind is it?

I've been burning off and on for two weeks now, hit mid 40s last night here..I'm just burning all yard branches and oddball chunks now, doing cleanup. Might as well get some use from it!

That's a nice stove! What kind is it?

I've been burning off and on for two weeks now, hit mid 40s last night here..I'm just burning all yard branches and oddball chunks now, doing cleanup. Might as well get some use from it!

That's a Hearthstone Heritage. Good stove though, like most stone stoves, you can't be in a hurry for heat. Holds heat a long time though.

Marc...... that door is awesome. Don't ever replace it !

Don't worry, I've got thirteen or fourteen other hand made drawn mortise and tenon panel doors just like it. Plus several older wide plank doors. I'm up to my ears in doors and old furniture in this house.

Back