Anyone else burning yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are you hoarding the heat if your burning anyway??

To conserve wood. It takes a lot of work and time to make these piles. The OWB supplies the heat for hot water year round and for warmth in the cold months for 2 houses. There's close to 20 cords in these 2 stacks. That probably won't be enough to last until spring if we have a cold winter.

downsized_0916121329_zps47e7a0cd.jpg

He's the wood nazi :msp_w00t:

Wood Nazi! I resemble that remark! :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm not an oak snob though! :cheers:

No fire yet or for the next few. In past years, we've lit as early as mid-August.

Actually hoping to free up some space asap by torching loose-tossed woofah punk wood to make room for more hard winter wood in the barn.

When I got home from my ride last night, wife was in a hooded fleece with the hood up doing the dishes. Then later when I was reading on the futon she came over and put her ice cold hands on the back of my neck. I think she was trying to tell me something...

Tonight may be the night. Just a small break in fire. Between being down in the valley and having the kitch and living room towards the north end of a large house, it tends to chill off in there and is hard to warm back up, even on sunny days.

Oh darn. Where dem matches at?

No fire yet or for the next few. In past years, we've lit as early as mid-August.

Actually hoping to free up some space asap by torching loose-tossed woofah punk wood to make room for more hard winter wood in the barn.

Just depends on so much, doesn't it? The "Strawberry Festival," that the local Grange puts on every year, is always on the third Thursday of June. We open up the Black Tavern, a restored historic inn (I'm on the board of directors) for it to give tours and generally hang out. About three years ago it was only in the low 50's, overcast and rainy so we lit up the big fireplace in the hearth room. I'll tell you, at one point we had more people trying to shimmy their way through the crowd into the hearth room and eat their shortcake by the fire than the Grange had people in line to buy the shortcake!

To conserve wood. It takes a lot of work and time to make these piles. The OWB supplies the heat for hot water year round and for warmth in the cold months for 2 houses. There's close to 20 cords in these 2 stacks. That probably won't be enough to last until spring if we have a cold winter.

Wood Nazi! I resemble that remark! :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm not an oak snob though! :cheers:

Nice pile! You cut them beasts in half I hope :msp_scared:

According to my hi-tech, state-of-the-art, ($12.oo) digital thermometer, it’s 41[sup]o[/sup] outside this morning… and will most likely drop into the 30’s before sun-up. Overnights have been hovering either side of 40[sup]o[/sup] for the last 10 days or so, but we still have a few windows open. Indoor thermometer reads 68[sup]o[/sup], which is plenty warm for us… we keep it right around 70[sup]o[/sup] all winter. After this hot, dry summer the cool evenings and chilly mornings feel good to me… Heck, I’m sittin’ here bare-back sippin’ my coffee. Last night I was outside until well after dark in a sleeveless t-shirt (although the daughter did slip a sweatshirt on).

Supposed to be ‘round 70[sup]o[/sup] today with loads of sunshine; all the windows will be wide open when I get home this evening. There won’t be any fire in this house until the storm windows get put on, and that won’t happen until all the windows have been closed for the last time this year… and that won’t happen until the house stops warming up during the day. I just can’t see any chance of a fire before October end… Heck, I ain’t even thought about moving a single stick of firewood in the house yet (but I might start cutting some standing-dead and tossing it in this weekend, if it’s cool enough (like low 60’s).

Livin’ pretty much outside, I guess we tend to acclimate as the weather cools off… we don’t get “cold” until Thanksgiving, or later. Except for a handful of real cold days during mid-winter, the wife will let the fire burn out ‘round mid-day… and it don’t get restarted until sometime after dark. If I “misjudge” and put too much firewood on, and the house temp climbs much over 72[sup]o[/sup], the wife will start glaring at me and mumbling under her breath. I really don’t understand how a lot of y’all say you’re “warm and toasty comfortable” with the house at 80[sup]o[/sup], or 85[sup]o[/sup] during winter… man, I’d be moving out into the unheated shop!

Nope... not even close to burnin' yet.

I havent started a fire yet but it was a bit chilly this mornin at 42 outside. Not quite cool enough inside though, nothin wrong with a small fire though to get things warm. I'd hate to get carried away and have a hot stove for the afternoon warm ups..
I'm the same way about the seasons chore's changing. By the time fall comes I don't want to look at mower and weedeater!! All I want to do is run some chainsaws and smell some wood. And then when spring comes I can't wait to fire up the rider, put some earplugs in with some Tom petty radio and get to cuttin. I even like firing up the weedeater if you can believe that. I got abetter head start on my firewood stacks than I have in the past, feeling pretty good about that. Stay warm up there!! (-:

According to my hi-tech, state-of-the-art, ($12.oo) digital thermometer, it’s 41[sup]o[/sup] outside this morning… and will most likely drop into the 30’s before sun-up. Overnights have been hovering either side of 40[sup]o[/sup] for the last 10 days or so, but we still have a few windows open. Indoor thermometer reads 68[sup]o[/sup], which is plenty warm for us… we keep it right around 70[sup]o[/sup] all winter. After this hot, dry summer the cool evenings and chilly mornings feel good to me… Heck, I’m sittin’ here bare-back sippin’ my coffee. Last night I was outside until well after dark in a sleeveless t-shirt (although the daughter did slip a sweatshirt on).

Supposed to be ‘round 70[sup]o[/sup] today with loads of sunshine; all the windows will be wide open when I get home this evening. There won’t be any fire in this house until the storm windows get put on, and that won’t happen until all the windows have been closed for the last time this year… and that won’t happen until the house stops warming up during the day. I just can’t see any chance of a fire before October end… Heck, I ain’t even thought about moving a single stick of firewood in the house yet (but I might start cutting some standing-dead and tossing it in this weekend, if it’s cool enough (like low 60’s).

Livin’ pretty much outside, I guess we tend to acclimate as the weather cools off… we don’t get “cold” until Thanksgiving, or later. Except for a handful of real cold days during mid-winter, the wife will let the fire burn out ‘round mid-day… and it don’t get restarted until sometime after dark. If I “misjudge” and put too much firewood on, and the house temp climbs much over 72[sup]o[/sup], the wife will start glaring at me and mumbling under her breath. I really don’t understand how a lot of y’all say you’re “warm and toasty comfortable” with the house at 80[sup]o[/sup], or 85[sup]o[/sup] during winter… man, I’d be moving out into the unheated shop!

Nope... not even close to burnin' yet.

You have a wood furnace right? In my old drafty farmhouse, if it's in the 40s at night and high 60s/low 70s in the day, the ell where we live mostly, and where the woodstove is, won't get much above 66 in weather like this and it's nice to have a place to get warm. This is coming from a guy who's been known to be out backcountry skiing in nothing but a poly pro t-shirt and uninsulated shell pants in windy weather as cold as 5 deg (on the way up, anyway). Frost in my hair and sweat on my face!

My dad, who moved outta the farmhouse when he was young and built a well insulated raised ranch on a south facing slope with lots of south facing glass won't need to use his oil boiler or his stove typically until late Oct/Nov.

In the winter, the rooms around my stove will be in the 70s, and the bedroom will stay in the mid 60s. Just right for sleeping, for me.

Awww... Man... Don't get me started. LOL
I positively detest cuttin' grass. I can't think of a single job I hate more. If I never had to start the grass cuttin' machine again it would be way to soon. At least my new machine (this year) has cut the time it takes to cut the main yard by at least a third... but spendin' 3-5 hours (depending) sittin' on those machines drives me bonkers when I have so many other things I could be doing. If I could justify the massive expense I'd concrete the complete yard, ditch and roads/trails in the woodlot. And although I have a weed-whip, it don't get used much... I find RoundUp to be a much simpler option.

You have a wood furnace right? In my old drafty farmhouse...

Yeah Marc, I have a wood furnace (of sorts, it's not thermostatically controlled), but I also live in a 110-year-old, uninsulated farmhouse. It can get drafty when the wind is blowing wrong, but I've learned to control that by putting plastic over the windows and strategic placement of things like rugs and whatnot. Really, unless the wind is blowing from the wrong direction (we're pretty much protected on the north and west sides by woodlot), we don't lose much heat (relatively) overnight until temps drop into single digits. The south side of the house (living room, dining room and kitchen) is unshaded which allows us to take full advantage of solar energy, so even in January, during the day if the sun is shinning we easily stay in the high 60's to low 70's without generating our own heat (this time of year the windows are open)... and enough heat spills into the north side bedrooms to keep them comfortable. During winter, unless it's nasty cold or nasty windy outside, we let the fire burn out most every day.

unless it's nasty cold or nasty windy outside, we let the fire burn out most every day.

That's the beauty of my OWB. When the temps are 65° during the day and 40° at night. I never have to start a fire. Mine is going 24-7 now just to take the chill off my shop and house. I'm usually cold in the mornings so when I get out of bed I just bump the t-stat for about 20 minutes and the house is good to go for the day. My shop will cool down in the evenings so usually about 9pm I'll kick the t-stat up and I'm all comfy again. Same thing in my shop in the mornings. My employees show up at 7:30 and my painter girl goes for the t-stat as soon as she walks in. No need to start a fire every time I wanna take the chill off. The great part of this is that during these months I only need to throw in a couple chunks a day. With the right wood I can go 2 days.

Yup, they get cut in half and then stacked by the OWB and house. Me and my OWB like the 2' sticks. :msp_smile:

Ok jest checkin! :D I got the 5648 which is bout the same as your 6048, the first year I thought I should use 3' wood :dizzy: 2' is what has been getting cut for the last 5 years :msp_thumbup:

Ok jest checkin! :D I got the 5648 which is bout the same as your 6048, the first year I thought I should use 3' wood :dizzy: 2' is what has been getting cut for the last 5 years :msp_thumbup:

2' is easy to handle, easy to stack and easy to measure up when counting cords. I can put 3' sticks in the bottom but they get a little tight up near the top. :msp_thumbup:

Yup, they get cut in half and then stacked by the OWB and house. Me and my OWB like the 2' sticks. :msp_smile:

2' is easy to handle, easy to stack and easy to measure up when counting cords. I can put 3' sticks in the bottom but they get a little tight up near the top. :msp_thumbup:

Yup, my splits even seem to get smaller every year :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back