Anyone ever had a gusher tree ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiluxxulih

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My dad worked for Weyerhaeuser for about 30 years and we have a video of cutting down an old grown tree that just gushed about 50 gallons of tree sap pitch out when the chain hit the pocket , man that must have been a sticky son of a *****

anyone ever had a gusher tree

Used to get a lot in IL. Cottonwoods just have to wait for the water to stop or drone the saw. Siberian elms most anything with WET wood. Once we put a saw into a green Ash Flame of the shot out of that cut, 10 feet up it had Bees and someone had tried to burn them out Fire got into the Honey Comb tell we gave it air and puff it went up City tree had to call the Firehouse to put it out so we could cut it down

Get it alot in the old growth hemlock on the west coast. Some times in the cedar too. Knew one crazy faller that was desperate for water on a hot day and drank some.........................needless to say, he regretted it!

We dropped a 48"+ cottonwood that gushed water for over a week.

The logs were so heavy we pulled the NorwoodLM2000 next to them for milling. At the time we had no access to equipment that could lift them.

Wish I could find the pics of the water.....and it was almost a geyser.

Kevin

friend in NY had a 1 yr old cherry blowdown with a rotted crotch,been collecting water the whole year,took two days to drain out after he cut into it.

There are a few vids of tree gushers floating around Youtube. Some of them have been posted here. Fun stuff!

Here is one. Never saw one in person. Looks pretty neat. <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nc9-snQrHiE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nc9-snQrHiE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Definately we have it too- and it can be anything from mollasses to tea to pure water. Sometimes there will be a gas pocket instead.

Like other posters, I fell a big Cottonwood that spurted water like a drinking fountain.

I think he was talking sap, not water. Water is common in White Fir, some Red, Hemlock and Cedar in my area. Seeing actual sap pump out is quite the site. the best time to see that is in late spring when the sap is fully running in the bigger defective or injured trees. I had a big fir drop 5 gallons of sap or so this spring. Started off amber colored, then went to a milky white color and thick like paste.

Ah, 10-4 Burvol.I fell a lot of big cedar on the Olympic Peninsula, and never really saw much come out of them??? Used to get into a lot of pitch in Hemlock however.

Here is one. Never saw one in person. Looks pretty neat. <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nc9-snQrHiE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nc9-snQrHiE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

When I was clearing land with the first excavating company I ever worked for we were on a job takin down big oak, ash poplar etc.

A couple of trees there had water (not sap, sap doesnt run like water) running out of the big cuts like crazy. I believe that was a spring time job also

Beech trees are bad about water i have seen them drain for days and only get pockets of all the water. Just depeneds on how it rots i guess

gusher

I was cutting a 40+ inch cotton wood on our farm for barn lumber and once i got a good ways in i hit a pocket of luqid that sprayed back and coverd my girlfriend at the time.....needless to say that was the last time she cut timber with me hah

Back in my Redwood days, there was a 22 footer I helped fall in '78, an entire day to put it on the ground. Funny thing, it was holding about five hundred gallons of water and crap, collected over the centuries. I was wrassling a block out of the cut, old Ray leans in, takes a swing with a pulaski, and knocks a 6 inch square hole into the hollow. Ray got knocked off the springboard by a column of fluid that looked like used oil, smelled bad. Ray waited for the water to clear, washed off, went back to hacking at the trunk. There were bird beaks, small bones, teeth, rusty sand, acorns left in the debris.

Back in my Redwood days, there was a 22 footer I helped fall in '78, an entire day to put it on the ground. Funny thing, it was holding about five hundred gallons of water and crap, collected over the centuries. I was wrassling a block out of the cut, old Ray leans in, takes a swing with a pulaski, and knocks a 6 inch square hole into the hollow. Ray got knocked off the springboard by a column of fluid that looked like used oil, smelled bad. Ray waited for the water to clear, washed off, went back to hacking at the trunk. There were bird beaks, small bones, teeth, rusty sand, acorns left in the debris.

Now thats a story! You gotta love old trees.

big forked red oaks are famouse for that ****. Chesnut oaks too. The saw shoots it all over your trousers before you know what hit you.

I had a big old dying red fir pump out a few gallons of thick sticky gluey sap, i thought I had blown up my saw cause of the smoke from the muffler when it first started. if I still had that saw, i bet you could find some sap on there.

Back