Anyone ever had a gusher tree ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I saw a gusher was a surprise to me. I drilled a big Dougie up the Mackenzie for a Site tree and didn't bother to look at its crown (like duh, right?) and when I pulled the extractor out, the tree just started SPEWING.

I spun my borer out ASAP but the damage was done: pitch all over EVERTHING (bit, extractor, handle, me) and the tree took an hour or two to drain. The only solvent I had to clean my borer with was DEET.

Top was busted out a couple hundred feet up. Go figure.

A buddy of mine was falling a doug fir on a logging job near here a few years ago when he hit a pitch pocket. Before he could get the saw out of the cut he was soaked by several gallons of thin runny pitch. An hour later as the pitch started to dry it acted like glue. In all the wrong places! His... uhm, package was glued solid to his legs! He had to pull his pants down and have his partner throw dirt all over him to try and stop the adhesion. He ended up sitting in the dirt with his pants around his ankles trying to put the dirt where the sun don't shine. Yep, he tried saw mix the remove the pitch. All he got was a big burn from that. He worked another hour before calling it quits.

I fell a lot of cottonwood although I don't want to cut the ones I gotta cut next-We bean flooded fore about 3 months at work and have atleast 8 that Iv seen swell and split-If I can ever get to them It will be a wet time for me.The nastiest pisser Ive ever got was a mulberry tree never expected it.Foamie brownish white ooze that about made me loose my cookies from the smell-I switched chains after I cleaned up and later wen I was sharpening chains that one was strait out soled.Had to soak it in turpentine for 2 days-Glad i washed off

i cut a 30'dbh white oak the other day that had lots of water in it with building pressure from the heat .when i cut into that thing it blew out like a fire hydrant and kept going for a solid minute like a fire hose. it had so much pressure that when the water stopped spewing it looked like a mist of water from bleeding off an air compresser. and yes i was soaked, it even stained my clothes.

i cut a 30'dbh white oak the other day that had lots of water in it with building pressure from the heat .when i cut into that thing it blew out like a fire hydrant and kept going for a solid minute like a fire hose. it had so much pressure that when the water stopped spewing it looked like a mist of water from bleeding off an air compresser. and yes i was soaked, it even stained my clothes.

stained your clothes?Never got stains that didn't wash out before except pine

It just now occured to me, I have some video of Redwood logging from the mid '80s, there is a tree on there that pours many gallons of sap, they cut a channel to get rid of it.

Alyse makes me wonder how they can hold so much in them.You can only fill a glass to the top but trees over fill and still doesn't spill over

Get it alot in the old growth hemlock on the west coast. Some times in the cedar too. Knew one crazy faller that was desperate for water on a hot day and drank some.........................needless to say, he regretted it!
That edd be gross . Ya , I've had to leave a tree gushin and come back in an hour and still it was running out .. pretty nasty stuff .. . Sitka Spruce , Western Hemlock , Yellow and Red cedar . and had it happen on a big Cotton wood ...

Latest posts

Back