anyone ever have inconsistant burns?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aaronmach1

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
Been burning my wood furnace now pretty good with the new air supplies etc. It seems to burn inconsistant sometimes though and i feel like i cannot do anything when i burn because i have to babysit it so it doesnt burn too hot (try to keep flue under 600) or too cold(below 300). This is becoming a pain in my ass to have to run downstairs every ten minutes or so to check on it. I suspect the auto damper on the load door is part at fault. Lets say i put it on low then the fire gets burning and it closes then the fires calms down too cool so i open it back up then it closes and i try to open it to high and i trun the knob all the way but the damper wont open because the spring is too warm an d is all the way down. Somtimes if i leave it on high lets say and then it closes itsself ill walk away and come back to it burning too hot. blah blah blah. Anyone have any suggestions or simular experiance?

ziggo_2

ziggo_2

ArboristSite Operative
Your adjusting too much, too soon, and too often....settle down and let i burn in a cycle.

You could have too much draft. a barometric damper will help that. That would slow the burn times down too.

Those automatic dampers take awhile to get used to...and then they still dont work very good.

Search the forum this has been discussed many times. In the end they are cheap furnaces thats why they dont work so great. Im on my 4th winter with mine, I said if it lasts 5yrs id be happy. (i have low expectations, so im rarely disappointed)

CrappieKeith

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
O....well i was thinking about it for next year. thanks,now I know what kind it wont be.

My we are touchy this morning...you are upset about me telling you to go to the manufacturer for tech help......

You have been all over the board on so many different levels it isn't funny. You have not hired a pro as suggested so many pages ago on one of your help me topics. I guess I assumed...so I should have asked...did you call the manufacturer...are you having a dialog with them?
If so and your issues are not going away I can appreciate the angst you must be feeling and I'll lighten up on you for coming here as a last resort to solve your issues.

If I recall several of us have suggested many things...the other day you made a change and you marveled at how much the operation changed. Now you are still having issues.Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news ,but you will continue and I'm afraid it will not matter what you have...without proper installation and proper use you'll be having to deal with issues and you'll be complaining....
I'd love to earn your biz,but I'm afraid too after watching how you disregard excellent advice.

Sorry if that was over the top...just being honest.

Last edited:
jam4430

jam4430

ArboristSite Lurker
Your adjusting too much, too soon, and too often....settle down and let i burn in a cycle.

You could have too much draft. a barometric damper will help that. That would slow the burn times down too.

Those automatic dampers take awhile to get used to...and then they still dont work very good.

Search the forum this has been discussed many times. In the end they are cheap furnaces thats why they dont work so great. Im on my 4th winter with mine, I said if it lasts 5yrs id be happy. (i have low expectations, so im rarely disappointed)

+1

just let it be and it will level out and regulate itself. its ok if it gets too hot or too cold for a small period of time you just dont want it to burn for an extended period of time like that. i often bury the needle on my magnet thermometer at least once a day for a so called cleanout, i just dont leave it like that all night.

ziggo_2

ziggo_2

ArboristSite Operative
+1

just let it be and it will level out and regulate itself. its ok if it gets too hot or too cold for a small period of time you just dont want it to burn for an extended period of time like that. i often bury the needle on my magnet thermometer at least once a day for a so called cleanout, i just dont leave it like that all night.

Right. Ill start it off on say medium, wait till its down to coals before reloading...or Loading it full before bed then ill turn it down to low...8-10hrs sometimes 12hrs later i turn it back up to medium for another cycle or two of small loads and then load up and back to low while at work......come home, repeat. Ive had my flue temps in the 1000s at times...keep the chimney clean and you wont have a chimney fire.

You cant adjust them too fast or they will get out of whack and make themselfs overfire.

Crappie must be having a crappie day.

CrappieKeith

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
hey ziggo...do you pay attention to everything or just what's in front of your face.:biggrin:
There's a history running here...my advice is to read it all before you make stupid comments.

Aren't forums a gas!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Let's all do the do the safety dance..it's a Fri. the 13th.

ziggo_2

ziggo_2

ArboristSite Operative
hey ziggo...do you pay attention to everything or just what's in front of your face.:biggrin:
There's a history running here...my advice is to read it all before you make stupid comments.

Aren't forums a gas!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Let's all do the do the safety dance..it's a Fri. the 13th.

Shucks, aints no readin goin on in here.....

My computer is a piece of junk so i miss threads every now and then.

I just got done looking trough his other threads.....seems like he needs to talk to the previous owner. He could call the manufactures customer service but what would a guy in india know about burning wood.

Anywho I think you need more help than a internet forum can offer. A person that know something about it (hence previous owner) there to help you. Or anybody that burns wood! If you dont know anybody, use your nose and track one down.

By the way those spots on the side are usually from overfiring or power outages....

Oh....and i dont dance sorry.

aaronmach1

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
My we are touchy this morning...you are upset about me telling you to go to the manufacturer for tech help......

You have been all over the board on so many different levels it isn't funny. You have not hired a pro as suggested so many pages ago on one of your help me topics. I guess I assumed...so I should have asked...did you call the manufacturer...are you having a dialog with them?
If so and your issues are not going away I can appreciate the angst you must be feeling and I'll lighten up on you for coming here as a last resort to solve your issues.

If I recall several of us have suggested many things...the other day you made a change and you marveled at how much the operation changed. Now you are still having issues.Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news ,but you will continue and I'm afraid it will not matter what you have...without proper installation and proper use you'll be having to deal with issues and you'll be complaining....
I'd love to earn your biz,but I'm afraid too after watching how you disregard excellent advice.

Sorry if that was over the top...just being honest.
sorry i was a little #####y earlier.:smile2: I cannot contact the company they have been out of business for years. I always do apreciate the help u have though.

CrappieKeith

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Been burning my wood furnace now pretty good with the new air supplies etc. It seems to burn inconsistant sometimes though and i feel like i cannot do anything when i burn because i have to babysit it so it doesnt burn too hot (try to keep flue under 600) or too cold(below 300). This is becoming a pain in my ass to have to run downstairs every ten minutes or so to check on it. I suspect the auto damper on the load door is part at fault. Lets say i put it on low then the fire gets burning and it closes then the fires calms down too cool so i open it back up then it closes and i try to open it to high and i trun the knob all the way but the damper wont open because the spring is too warm an d is all the way down. Somtimes if i leave it on high lets say and then it closes itsself ill walk away and come back to it burning too hot. blah blah blah. Anyone have any suggestions or simular experiance?

ok so getting back to the subject...600 is not too hot...pipe should be rated to 2100.
When heating with wood there is no such thing as "continuity of operation" like you will have with gas,oil or electricity. During a power outtage your ducting could get to 600 degrees for the 1 st 6 feet away from the heater.

So with a proper draft speed,dry wood and proper ducting with the right sized blower(cfm) for your home you should be ok. Obviously clearances to combustibles are also important.

Running a 300 to 600 flue gas temp is certainly within an acceptable range for clean burning operation.

aaronmach1

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
ok so getting back to the subject...600 is not too hot...pipe should be rated to 2100.
Running a 300 to 600 flue gas temp is certainly within an acceptable range for clean burning operation.
Good to know. thanks but the thing i cannot find anywhere with different brand manuals or anywhere ive been searching is how how can my thermo dial get up to before my furnace is too hot? (overtemped)?

ziggo_2

ziggo_2

ArboristSite Operative
Throw caution to the wind!!

thanks everyone! going to be a cold ##### tonight definatly glad the propane furnace wont be running!:msp_thumbup: we finally got snow too!

Crank er up....when the stove pipe starts glowing red, back it down a little.

Im kidding...dont be afraid to get it hot and let it do it thing.

CrappieKeith

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good to know. thanks but the thing i cannot find anywhere with different brand manuals or anywhere ive been searching is how how can my thermo dial get up to before my furnace is too hot? (overtemped)?

I do not have a clue...steel warps at around 1500 degrees. I can not make a judgement or even an educated guess without way more intel...but here's a clue...if you are smelling burnt paint...it's too hot...it your flue pipe is orange it is too hot...if your blower is running non stop it is too hot.

aaronmach1

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
I do not have a clue...steel warps at around 1500 degrees. I can not make a judgement or even an educated guess without way more intel...but here's a clue...if you are smelling burnt paint...it's too hot...it your flue pipe is orange it is too hot...if your blower is running non stop it is too hot.
Ya i think i need a bigger blower maybe a big furncae blower or somthing. Basicly if i have a fire going the blower is always on. i do not know what size it is but its not very big. i see some guys like my neighbor, put a regular big furnace blower on his.

jam4430

jam4430

ArboristSite Lurker
sorry i was a little #####y earlier.:smile2: I cannot contact the company they have been out of business for years. I always do apreciate the help u have though.

its a johnson energy systems j-7900. Almost identical to hotblast 1400.

id call us stove and ask them about it as if it were a 1400. cant hurt any and might be able to get some new insight