anyone ever have inconsistant burns?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya i think i need a bigger blower maybe a big furncae blower or somthing. Basicly if i have a fire going the blower is always on. i do not know what size it is but its not very big. i see some guys like my neighbor, put a regular big furnace blower on his.

My friend had a Hotblast, sounds like the same model you described here and other posts. His was the same way, once the blower kicked on it ran pretty much 100%. It seemed like they went cheap and put too small of a blower on it. He never once cared what temperature anything was it, he just ran it as hot as he could and never let up. It would be 85 in the basement and 80 upstairs. He never had a problem until there was a week long power outage, he has a young daughter and had to keep warm somehow. Burned up the thermostat, warped the firebox a bit, cracked a few welds, and the paint melted off the side. The furnace still works good, just leaks air a bit around the door and the blowers are on a light switch. It's currently heating a good sized garage, and he finally got a better one for the house.

What I'm getting at is that you are worrying too much and trying to run this thing like a propane furnace. I have about a 7 or 8 degree range in my house. I start closing dampners around 67 or so, and open everything wide open between 58 and 62ish. 55 I start re-thinking my plan and actually pay attention. Otherwise the only 'checking' I do is listen every hour or so for the blowers. If they are running continuos I have a hot fire, if they are cycling I have a small fire, if they don't cycle I need to go check on something. If the fire department comes I have a problem.

I have a 2500 vogelzang I think its close to your stove in design. If It has a auto damper in the door like mine this is what ive done. I sealed it off with foil duct tape. mine has a screw in damper at the ash pan below that is where I adjust the intake air and I also added another blower. on a cold day open it up warmer day close it down or for overnight. Mine is an add on that is outside my house in a building and forced to ducts inside has to get really cold or low wind chills before furnace kicks on and if it was in my basement as it was designed I dont think I would ever use the gas. It took a couple of years to get a good handle on exactly what It was needing for the different conditions.

thanks guys. Jules083, thats exactly what one of my uncles told me. Trying to mess with it too much. I dont see him much but just found out he has the same setup i do. Been letting it go and its been great last two days. Much better and less stress! I have figured out my auto damper thermostat spring on the front is too weak. I bought a new replacement for $20 it will be here in a few days. Right now i just hold it open with a calibrated size piece of metal stick.:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back