Anyone ever heard of a kataba tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtFromJersey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm most likely spelling it wrong, but thats what the guy i got it from said. It had long round beans hanging on it bout a foot or more long. Kinda like locust beans but round and not flat. Is it worth milling? Thanks in advance.

Catalpa is easy to work in the woodshop, but soft, almost as soft as pine. Light brown, pretty wood. When sanded it takes on an almost shiny appearance. I have made picture frames from it among other things. Many people use it for carving. I have milled lots of catalpa, and it mills very easily, as easy as pine or cedar. Worth milling? Depends on if you would use it. I would.

There's LOT's of them around here, i have one in my front yard that i planted years ago...

I'd mill it too..

Rob

Just as an aside... if any of you grew up or worked on a farm, Catalpa has the unique property of smelling like dried hay when you run it through a bandsaw or table saw. Good earthy smell, I love working with it for just that reason. Again, some carvers use it for large carvings, and thus large clear blocks of it can bring a pretty penny IF you can find that particular niche market where you are.

yes catalpas giant leaves esp on young trees.Stand under one with a full canopy in the rain and never get a drop on you,I have some myself,the wood is supposed to be rot resistant ,they did made railroad ties out of them dont know if they still do

Catawba

Catalpa. Called Catawba in lots of the south. Catalpa worms are some of the best fish bait you'll find.

Judge

Last edited:
Back