Anyone face this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scootermsp

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
VERY windy here today. OWB is 65' from house. I think some smoke blew into attic via eave vents and tripped whole house smoke detector system (there is a unit in attic; all are interconnected). This is the only thing I can think of. Has never happened before but only thing I can think of that would trip alarm. It only activated about 5-10 seconds and cleared.:confused:

modn

ArboristSite Operative
VERY windy here today. OWB is 65' from house. I think some smoke blew into attic via eave vents and tripped whole house smoke detector system (there is a unit in attic; all are interconnected). This is the only thing I can think of. Has never happened before but only thing I can think of that would trip alarm. It only activated about 5-10 seconds and cleared.:confused:

I guess it sure is possible.....did you smell it at all? Do you have quick access into the attic? Weird though, I would have never thought of that.

ericjeeper

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
need to clean your smoke heads

Get a can of aerosol air.. Like used to clean sewing machines.. Now go blow the dust out of all the heads.. Often they see the dust as smoke..
Some smoke detectors see, as well as smell smoke..

Husky82

Husky82

ArboristSite Lurker
Oh yeah i have a owb and when the wind is out of the south and strong i can smell a little smoke on the back porch. so i would think that it is very likley the wind was blowing smoke into your attic

Wirenut2266

Wirenut2266

ArboristSite Guru
Yup, I beleive it. New ones Way too sensitive. as other member stated, get rid of atmosheric one(They sense change in atmoshere, not really "smell" smoke), and put in a infared style to see flames. But, think about it, it god forbid an attic fire, the atmosheric style will trigger Wayy sooner then the other style. I have never put one in attic, but not a bad idea though!!:clap:

Booshcat

Booshcat

ArboristSite Operative
I'd Say Ya Got A Damn Good System

Everyone knows those OWB's smoke way damn too much...

Seriously though, smoke detectors may be positioned poorly.
Shoot em with air like mentioned. They are ion particle detectors, they don't know smoke from a burst of dust.

Did you smell any smoke up there????

This may be a one in ten year kind of thing, or if a new house, just fiberglas that was loose after install.

Bob

Last edited:
Mike Van

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
We had one in the hallway [not needed by code] trip so many times from the humid air from the dryer & kids not opening a window a little [shower steam] I finally unhooked it. Waaaay to sensitive. Our whole hose fan too, on those humid muggy nights will set the rest of them off at 2 or 3 AM.

Wirenut2266

Wirenut2266

ArboristSite Guru
Mike: Here in Minnesota, we need one in hallway if two or more bedrooms, must be within 10' of entrances, plus, need CO detector as well. Funny thing, CO is very heavy gas, some people put on ceiling or high wall, no gas up there till too late? Yoy can never have enough detectors in my opinion???

Latest posts