Anyone getting the "long running script" message?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The script problem has made my computer impossible to use on this site. I am running Windows 2000 with the Explorer browser that came with it. I know I am overdue for a newer system, but it still works for everything except this site. The following string on my command line always hangs the computer up for a minute or so before I get the pop-up window that lets me abort the script: Opening page http://static.ak.facebook.com/conne...esponse_type=token,signed_request,code&domain. There is a space after the word page, but no other spaces or returns.

I know I am overdue for a newer system, but it still works for everything except this site...

Join the club. The Mods are doing nothing about it that I know of. You would think that they would at least notify the members that they are aware of the problem and trying to work with Microsoft to resolve it. Having run a software development company for 35 years, that's what I would have done.

So, what did you eventually install for virus protection after dropping $180? Did Mozilla offer anything to go along with their Browser?

Guys, remove all antivirus software. It's a waste of time and money. Run Malwarebytes AntiMalware for free, and keep it updated. Link: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

If anyone needs help or has questions, PM me. I been using it for about 6 years and my PC is clean.

Last edited:
The script problem has made my computer impossible to use on this site. I am running Windows 2000 with the Explorer browser that came with it. I know I am overdue for a newer system, but it still works for everything except this site. The following string on my command line always hangs the computer up for a minute or so before I get the pop-up window that lets me abort the script: Opening page http://static.ak.facebook.com/conne...esponse_type=token,signed_request,code&domain. There is a space after the word page, but no other spaces or returns.

You can get Chrome to work on Win2k.

http://m.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1017453/windows-2000-runs-ajax-apps-google-chrome-browser

So, what did you eventually install for virus protection after dropping $180? Did Mozilla offer anything to go along with their Browser?
NO..I think you misunderstood me...I Didn't pay the computer dude the $180...I removed all the traces myself...and it
took me a day and a half to do it...Computer dude charges $80 an hour...he could have done it in like 2+ hours or so..??

I now use "Avast" as my computer anti-virus and am happy with it..it's free

Only complaint is it updates itself several times a day and takes like 5 minutes and slows my computer down while updating

No Mozilla Foxfire is just a browser...it doesn't do anything else
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Guys, remove all antivirus software. It's a waste of time and money. Run Malwarebytes AntiMalware for free, and keep it updated. Link: Restaurant Menu | MenuPix
If anyone needs help or has questions, PM me. I been using it for about 6 years and my PC is clean.

I can't speak for your computer but mine will just keep giving pop-up warnings that there is no anti-virus installed.

Soo I just load a good free one and problem solved..I'm looking for a good free firewall other than windows Defender.
(you can run multiple firewalls but generally not multiple anti-virus software - tend to "conflict" with each other)
J2F

Playing around with Google Chrome. Yes, it does get friendly once you get the hang of it. Imported all my IE Favorites (Bookmarks) and that's about all I need. Greatest thing is that Google blocks all the Popup trash that IE Explorer lets through, regardless of Explorer's settings. All my Favorite sites now run faster without a bunch of garbage and popup garbage in your face. Tabs at the top are now becoming friendly. It could be the best two hours I've ever spent learning how to use Chrome.

I'll report back tomorrow after I've spent some more time with it. Too dang hot outside to run the saws anyway. We're looking at almost 100 F. BTW, I like the built-in spell checker that Google Chrome has triggered to all the sites. You will need to know your site passwords, but that's to be expected..

I can't speak for your computer but mine will just keep giving pop-up warnings that there is no anti-virus installed.

Navigate to Control Panel.
Double-click Security Center or System and Security.
Click Change Action Center settings.
Uncheck the box for Virus protection.
Click OK.

Navigate to Control Panel.
Double-click Security Center or System and Security.
Click Change Action Center settings.
Uncheck the box for Virus protection.
Click OK.
Thanks for the reply and instructions...BUT...I just feel better running a good and free anti-virus...

Not saying that you Not running one is ??..or anything...

Just that for both good and free..."I rather have it and not need it..than to need it and not have it"..:msp_wink:

'Avast' updating doesn't bother me..it's just while switching windows it's slower but it does it..5 minutes..it's done.
(it's only like twice a day..I'll do the manual one first before trading begins..maybe a 2 pm..but usually it's at 6- 8 pm.)
J2F

Last edited:
Roger. Well, I'm here for help if needed.

Though I hate computers, I know them better than I know saws. Gotta pay the bills, right?

Chrome Works

Much obliged. Any way I can give back for the years of help I've received here........
Well, I've now used Google Chrome all afternoon and it looks very good. It only froze up once, and that was probably my fault, opening up a dozen Tabs or so just to see what it could take. This runs so much faster on Win XP Home than Internet Explorer that I will never go back to the old snail. No stupid popups or delays anywhere. I simply transferred all my "Favorites" to Chrome and put the little house next to the back/forward arrows. These navigation arrows work better than IE also.

I have yet to try all of the Chrome goodies, but at this point, I can safely recommend it to anyone who likes execution speed and anyone who does not like waiting for IE to figure out what it is supposed to be doing. I'm running Zone Alarm Free for a virus/malware/spyware checker, and the two work very well together. I may try Avast, but at this point, things are working nicely again and good bye "Long Running Script."

Guys, remove all antivirus software. It's a waste of time and money. Run Malwarebytes AntiMalware for free, and keep it updated. Link: Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer

Yep...again, not my knowledge, but the IT gurus at the college swear by this for spyware protection. Like Mike, I have been running it for about 3 years trouble free.

NO..I think you misunderstood me...I Didn't pay the computer dude the $180...I removed all the traces myself...and it
took me a day and a half to do it...Computer dude charges $80 an hour...he could have done it in like 2+ hours or so..??

I now use "Avast" as my computer anti-virus and am happy with it..it's free

Only complaint is it updates itself several times a day and takes like 5 minutes and slows my computer down while updating

No Mozilla Foxfire is just a browser...it doesn't do anything else
J2F

I think you can set it to 'manual update'. I have it set at auto like you, takes I don't know, few seconds? Doesn't slow anything down. It just pops up a screen and a woman says it's been updated. I use Avast with Malwarebytes and Privatefirewall.

Glad to see you guys running some newer technology :)

When it comes to Stihls, I prefer older '0' name saws. But with computers, it needs to be current. Period.

Did somebody fix something? For the first time in a week or so I am not getting hung up on the culprit script. HOORAY!!!!
Oh oh! Spoke too soon. As soon as I posted the above the script reared its ugly head again. And the wait for the Abort window seems twice as long as it was before.

Last edited:
Did somebody fix something? For the first time in a week or so I am not getting hung up on the culprit script. HOORAY!!!!
Oh oh! Spoke too soon. As soon as I posted the above the script reared its ugly head again. And the wait for the Abort window seems twice as long as it was before.
Dump Internet Explorer and start using another browser. It has more many problems than the long script syndrome that recently emerged at this site. The target of thousands of malicious hacks, it's a wonder that IE works as well as it does, which at this point is lousy. :msp_sad:

Dump Internet Explorer and start using another browser. It has more many problems than the long script syndrome that recently emerged at this site. The target of thousands of malicious hacks, it's a wonder that IE works as well as it does, which at this point is lousy. :msp_sad:

That is correct and good advice. IE is guaranteed to be on every windows machine. If you were a hacker writing spyware, wouldn't a safe bet be to gain access via IE?

Not a lot of hackers will waste time writing bugs for Firefox of Chrome. That's just simple logic. Only a small percentage of machines run other browsers. Don't make yourself a number.

Back