Anyone have a system to dump firewood out of IBC totes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevensandeights

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm considering switching my firewood storage to IBC totes. I have easy access to 275 gallon totes and intermittent access to 330 gallon totes. Has anyone come up with a way to easily dump the totes into a dump trailer for delivery? I have a 100 hp farm tractor with a loader that I need to get a set of pallet forks for. However before I go all in on this system I'd like to know if there's a way to easily dump out the totes without doing most of it by hand.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: does anyone have a system for dumping totes that costs less than $5,000?

I was aware of pallet rotators but unfortunately it's not practical for my small operation. They are cool though!

I was thinking more along the lines of something clamped onto the ends of the forks to prevent the tote from slipping off but still allowing it to dump at least half of the way.

Try a c clamp or an f clamp. Used to pick diesel engine mounted on shipping pallets and clamp the fork so they wouldnt fall off. Also you could step it fast to the mast or where the forks mount on the tractor. Just an idea.

What if you got some fork extensions. (I bought mine through Uline, next day delivery, very reasonable)
The clamp could be a z plate (no hinge) that passes through and passive captures by lifting slightly and reversing. The extension forks would need a chain keeper to hook to fel. The z plate welded 2' from fork tips, so when dumping the tote rotates 90° and catches on the tips. You might want a stop block several inches to the rear of the z plate to bump against when tipping the tote upright by hand. Maybe not.
I've never used a tote, not entirely sure what the bottoms look like.
Just a thought. Once you get your fork set-up, slip-on fork extensions are relatively cheap.
Good luck sevensandeight...
Edit: Photo is actually of beehive, but shows part of fork extension. I'll get a better picture of them.IMG_3402.jpgIMG_3605.jpg

Totes hold so little wood that I can hardly see the advantage.

They would hold more if the wood were stacked but it is a real pain to stack in a tote.

I cut my wood to 18" so I can stack two rows deep easily (inside width of tote is 37-38") through a cut out in one of the sides. The 330 gallon totes are 48" tall and 44" wide so they fit slightly more than a face cord (4' x 3' x 3.66666 = 44 cu ft)

I wonder if c-clamps attached to the end of the forks and a simple keeper chain attached to the top of the tote would be enough to dump the majority of the contents?

I have a three sided 5' wide wooden box that holds 1/3rd of a cord (43 cu. ft.) when stacked. To dump it with my pallet forks on my QA, i just chain it to the fork frame so it cant slide off. I do have a bunch of IBC totes, but I've never tried to dump them. If you cut the face of the cage out, I don't see why you couldn't dump it. Chain the cage to the fork frame, and you should be good.

Could you set the tote on a platform above the trailer, and use some type of winch or hoist to lift up the bottom edge, tipping it over? Ore even use the forks? Maybe some type of clamps to hold the front edge of the tote in place, or hinge the whole platform to tilt / tip? Would be pretty low tech, but effective.

Philbert

How much and where are you located T Mainus? Our tractor has the global euro mount so I'd need an adapter to run your skid steer style rotator.

Totes hold so little wood that I can hardly see the advantage.

They would hold more if the wood were stacked but it is a real pain to stack in a tote.

The do make nice deer stands though for climbers that want some real elevation.

View attachment 849188
Some one missed the opportunity to use the plastic as floor roof and walls.....

I just use a ratchet strap on either side hooked back onto the pallet forks. The final tote being dumped into my single axle dump truck does tend to have issues getting it all dumped out. I tend to have to toss the last 10 or so pieces out into the back of the truck. Works fairly well.

Back