Anyone have any reveiws on the new Carlton 5014?? vs vermeer 362??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody have any idea about a ballpark on how much the remote access cost on these machines 4012 or the 5014. It seems like it's highly sought after but I am already at my Max with just the machine as it is with the cutting system it comes with

Dont mind the knock at all, lol, thats why im moving on up!! Don't think I'll be able to afford the remote access but hoping that the regular controls will be plenty enough for me. Especially if I'm going to go with the sandvik cutting system
Jaysihl,
Wait a bit and save your money and get the remote. You will be very happy you did, and if you don't get the remote, you will latter severely regret it! Besides, it is nice to see the grinding operation and the machine (angle) from a distance

Swandog

Jaysihl,
Wait a bit and save your money and get the remote. You will be very happy you did, and if you don't get the remote, you will latter severely regret it! Besides, it is nice to see the grinding operation and the machine (angle) from a distance

Swandog
Okay thanks a lot swanny I appreciate your input! Can I just ask why it is so important to have the remote other than a convenience. I noticed that a lot of people say this but really don't understand why. I've operated my other little grinder for a long time with no issues and no remote, is there anything different with this machine. Is it just the fact that you can't see what your grinding without the remote access??

As a long time Vermeer dealership employee, 25 years and counting in parts, service and now sales, I've witnessed a great deal of change in the marketplace of Tree Care equipment. I have replied to questions about the SC362 in a previous post, referred to it as a 252 on steroids. More horse power, 2 speed ground drive, hydraulic steer and great visibility of the cutter wheel at an affordable price. I feel compelled to write a little about Vermeer Corp, a world wide company with annual sales of a billion plus dollars. Tree Care equipment has long been a staple in the Vermeer portfolio. I've seen the black & white photos of an early 3-point grinder shaped like a globe. If you have a relationship with a Vermeer dealer salesman, ask about a tour of the Vermeer manufacturing in Pella, Iowa. If you don't have a relationship with a Vermeer dealer salesman, strike up one! I think you will surprised what a farmer started in 1948!

Anyone have any tips for hardsurfacing the sandvik wheel? Type and size rod? Heat level?
I can not remember the details. However, I called Huey, in Carlton Customer Service, and he provide the info. I needed. Based on his recommendation, my welding shop took it from there. I think Huey said to tell the shop to used the hardest, hard surface rod they could get.
Jeff

Jaystihl
Question you asked me, yes your right the cordless remote is very convenient. I like being able to see exactly what I'm grinding and also see the grinder from the distance. When I say that, I look to see what angle the grinder is at or any changes to it when I'm moving it, also easier to see the grinder if there is any unusual vibration to it etc. In addition, with the remote you do stay a little cleaner and not eating so much dust. Plus, when you get ready to sell your grinder, it will sell much easier if there is a cordless remote. When you get old you always look for easier methods to do the job, of course easier methods may not be the best methods. I do understand everyone has a budget they have to stay within. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Swaney

Jaystihl
Question you asked me, yes your right the cordless remote is very convenient. I like being able to see exactly what I'm grinding and also see the grinder from the distance. When I say that, I look to see what angle the grinder is at or any changes to it when I'm moving it, also easier to see the grinder if there is any unusual vibration to it etc. In addition, with the remote you do stay a little cleaner and not eating so much dust. Plus, when you get ready to sell your grinder, it will sell much easier if there is a cordless remote. When you get old you always look for easier methods to do the job, of course easier methods may not be the best methods. I do understand everyone has a budget they have to stay within. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Swaney

That's a good point on the resale value. Does the remote set up cause any more breakdown issues being that I'd guess there's solenoid going to the valves?

Had mine since 2014 ,had a couple of hiccups when batteries in remote were low,would shut down intermittently once i found the problem easy fix,four AA batteries and back in business.I keep batteries in truck,other than that no issues.Like Swaney said your right there you can se exactly what the wheel is doing,production is better,with a flick of a switch you can take a bigger bite or lighten up the load.

Same here, low battery issues only, and it was my fault. If I replaced the batteries when the little red warning light starts flashing. But nooo, I always think I can get a lot more life out of those batteries.

Only hiccup I've had with the remote, is E-stop switch I had to replace and a toggle switch. In the past I would misplace the remote at times, but I put that on a belt to wear around the waste and never issues since. Like mowingman and stumper52 say, batteries don't last as long as we would .like them to. I still love my remote, once you have one, it would be hard to go back without one.

oh man you guys are making me have second thoughts. i basically already pulled the trigger on a 5014. i haven't wired the money yet but now im thinking of ordering one with a remote. He told me it was a $5,000 upgrade, which seemed really high. The other downfall was it would take 6 - 8 weeks to order one . i am already backed up on stumps with trees ive already cut down and promised customers i would get to them soon. i could always sub it out but thats money lost. i usually only grind 3-4 stumps a week. do you guys still think i should worry about the remote??????

The remote is great, and once you have used one, it is a real adjustment to go back to lever control. However, if you have not had a remote control machine, you will never miss it, as you are used to lever control anyway. Yes, resale is probably a little better for a remote control unit, but I bet you don't plan on selling it for many years. I foind I missed the remote a lot of multistump jobs, where I was moving the machine around a lot. I did not miss it all that much on single stump jobs, where you just set up and grind. Would I buy remote control again? Tough call, I would miss it some, but not sure I would miss it enough to spend the extra $5000.00 it costs now. I know it is a hard choice, but:
1. Can you afford it?
2. Can you live without it?
3. Can you afford to wait for the machine to be built?
4. How much "Buyer Remorse" will you have if you don't get it now, while you have a chance?
Tough decision that only you can make. Good luck. Whichever way you go, you are going to get one heck of a great machine.
Jeff

Jaysthil,Have you looked around,George at Shelter Tree in Attleboro Ma has a 2015, SP4012, 12 HRS. on it 44HP Kutoba,Sandvic Wheel, lever controlled, full warrenty, Asking 31K,not a SP5015 but no slouch.I personally deal with George,good people always willing to help you out.On Craigslist in South Winsor, Conn. Kaz Equipment has a 5015 with all the bells and whistles ,advertising [End Of Season Sale] doesn't list price.Season winding down quick up here, if interested send me a pm,i have their numbers.These units in stock all you have to do is have them shipped.

Well i bought the 5014 and absolutely love the quality of Carlton. It is definitely built very well. The only thing I was a little disappointed in is the power of the 35 horsepower gas. It seems to bog down rather easy once you get below ground level. I have the sandvic wheel which seems to be rather large with a lot of teeth which may be the problem. Has anyone tried green teeth on a 4012 or 5014?

Back