Anyone have experience renting out their own log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol...years ago I rented one.
I fixed the already broken wiring and fender before I took it back.

I would never rent mine.I let my BIL use it once with no issues.

all the above counts double if you built it!

That makes you the Manufacturer. If someone hurts themselves with your machine... is it because it wasn't designed right?
Are you liable for damages? Did you train them on how to use this equipment?

First thing to do is to get a signature and date on a disclaimer (a fine example here): Second Disclaimer

Then, take a page from the rental store. Rent it at 10% of the replacement price per day! That will slow 'em down a little. You highway robbing miscreant want $110 a :censored: day for rent?

Yea... I make money with my splitters. loaning or renting them out is just silly.

Renting out personal tools and equipment is a huge mistake... and will leave you with a worn-out and abused piece of equipment in short order.
Loaning stuff to personal friends is a bit different... we all know which of those "friends" will take care of "STUFF".

If you want to be a "Rent-All" company... then you need to be a "Rent-All" company.
You purchase tools and equipment strictly for rental purpose, apply the depreciation to a repurchase date, take advantage of the tax incentives, buy insurance, draw-up the necessary contracts, post or advertize set fees and penalties, collect sales tax, and spend several hours a day maintaining and repairing the "STUFF"... because your customers will not!

I'd lend most of tools to my friends... all my friends are trustworthy... I don't have many friends, in fact I can count them on one hand. I loaned a compressor to a brother of a friend of my brother... never again.

John

I am one of those jack of all trades master of none guys that also happens to have a fetish for tools and fabrication so EVERYONE that even thinks they may have met me calls for a favor or tool. After I got my splitter built to where it is now 2 of my friends "borrowed " it from my yard while I was gone. They broke some bolts and didn't notice it right away. They replaced the bolts in the wedge slide, but didn't give me the whole story when I caught them bringing it back. Next time I used it, guess what? The seal on the cylinder was out. $250.00, time and lots of cursing latter, I had it back together, so NO, I won't ever let anything go out again. The 2 idiots that took the splitter refused to pay and know they better not come near the place or me again. I'll help anyone that asks, at my convienance, but please don't abuse me.

WOW! Thank you for all the feedback guys. Sorry to hear about some of your horror stories. I think the best route would be to transport the splitter MYSELF & do all the splitting MYSELF. :msp_biggrin:

You would also have to rent it cheaper than the rental place down the street. I have a brother in hampstead, can he rent it? It will be ok, he only brakes everything. His, yours, mine, no discrimination there.

Friends don't let friends borrow tools. They 'help' for pizza and beer. :msp_biggrin:
A stranger? Maybe help for pizza and beer, and that's a big 'maybe'.

Latest posts

Back