Anyone running Opti-2 at 32-1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsnext

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought I had my oil taken care of with a recent switch to Mobil 1 but then I went to an auction and bought a 5 gallon pail of Opti-2 for $20. I really need to stop hanging out at auctions. I run everything at 32-1, and have for years, so I'm not changing the ratio. Anyone have a good reason not to run Opti at 32-1 before I break the seal on this blue pail? I just picked up a few mowing jobs and all my equipment runs 2-stroke mix so I'll use it up eventually.
Thanks, John.......

I had the opportunity to speak with interlubes President a few years back Dan ???????? I believe, he told me they had tested their oil at a 150:1 mix very successfully. I have used it at 100:1 with no problems but I do not think I would mix it at 32:1 however. You can call their toll free line 800-332-5851 and they will gladly answer any questions you have.

I don't use 32:1 mix with any oil personnally in modern equipment, I don't subscribe to that theory, others here do and I guess its to each his own.
I have not seen any certified test data that does prove this to be better than 40:1 or 50:1 and until I do I will stick with manufacturers recommendations if using dyno juice and a bit more but not 40% more.

Thanks for that toll free number. I'll call them tomorrow. I do subscibe to the theory that more lube is better as long as you don't gum things up which good oil, at 32-1, will not do. I have no problems with plug fouling ever at that rate but I'm pretty good about keeping the mixture set. I'm hoping that they don't use some 'super additive' that would build up when run at 32-1. The local dealers all sell it so I'm not too worried and at $1.00/quart I think it's worth a try.
Thanks Again, John.......

P.S. How's the smoke/smell?

I just talked to a guy there named Brad Clark who claimed that Opti-2 is mineral oil based and that running at 32-1 would cause my equipment to run hotter while producing less power than if I ran it all at 100-1. I'm not sure how this would work because I always thought that more power=more heat. But, what do I know. I got a fax from him and his title is "National Sales" so I really don't know if I can trust his technical advice. I don't want to resort to a 'two gas cans' stategy but I may have to just for my own piece of mind. If I do do that I'll run it at 50-1 in all the less intense equipment and 5 gal of it should last just about forever.
Thanks All, John.......

I just talked to a guy there named Brad Clark who claimed that Opti-2 is mineral oil based and that running at 32-1 would cause my equipment to run hotter while producing less power than if I ran it all at 100-1. I'm not sure how this would work because I always thought that more power=more heat. But, what do I know. I got a fax from him and his title is "National Sales" so I really don't know if I can trust his technical advice.
I think your mistrust is very valid given the psuedo science BS on their website.

whatsnext said:
I just talked to a guy there named Brad Clark who claimed that Opti-2 is mineral oil based and that running at 32-1 would cause my equipment to run hotter while producing less power than if I ran it all at 100-1. I'm not sure how this would work because I always thought that more power=more heat. But, what do I know. I got a fax from him and his title is "National Sales" so I really don't know if I can trust his technical advice. I don't want to resort to a 'two gas cans' stategy but I may have to just for my own piece of mind. If I do do that I'll run it at 50-1 in all the less intense equipment and 5 gal of it should last just about forever.
Thanks All, John.....

Without going in to too many details what you have been told over the phone basically confirms my many years of experience on grease and lube. Basically over lubing can cause as much friction and sometimes more than under lubing,

(sometimes too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing)

ask any Tribologist about this issue and these studies and results can go on for hours and hours and hours.

Tribology is the branch of engineering that deals with the interaction of surfaces in relative motion (as in bearings, gears, seals, rings etc.) their design and friction and wear and lubrication.

NOTE: Friction causes heat

i still have like half a bottle of opti-2 i got around 10 years ago when i bought my very first new saw.. a poulan pro 255. was after a stihl 009 or similar that the dealer had, but he was spouting off about how the lay down cyl was bad, will load up with gas.. flood out.. not worth the money.. buy this Poulan pro.. its so superior.. well the poulan kept falling apart and i burned up a piston & cyl within a month.. NOT impressed with that opti-2! poulan has a great engine but the dealer messed it all up when he put it back together.. instead of a short bolt holding the handle spring to the head, he put one LONG bolt all the way from the handle, through the spring, to the head.. doing that the nice round bolt hole is now a big wide oval and the handle falls off every 10min of use.. bigger bolt every time.. maby ill fix the darn thing with an insert..
sorry for rambling on endlessly guys.. but i just aint impressed with Opti-2.. bottle is finally going to get tossed in the trash.

Basically over lubing can cause as much friction and sometimes more than under lubing,
When one considers how little oil is actually present in a two stroke engine compared to a four cycle of equal size its easy to say why that argument doesnt hold any water in this case. I might also add that I have never seen evidence to suggest that a lower oil content produces more power. There are however multiple SAE papers that conclude the opposite.

bwalker said:
When one considers how little oil is actually present in a two stroke engine compared to a four cycle of equal size its easy to say why that argument doesnt hold any water in this case. I might also add that I have never seen evidence to suggest that a lower oil content produces more power. There are however multiple SAE papers that conclude the opposite.

I didn't know how to answer Lobo's post so I'm glad you did. I would think that at some point your engine would suffer enough hydraulic drag, at the friction points, to effect engine performance but it's likely your engine wouldn't run at that point anyway. I did think it a little odd that Brad, at Opti, didn't instantly fall in love with the idea of me using his high dollar oil at 32-1 just because I would end up using more. I guess his own ad-speak got in the way. One thing he said was kind of interesting. He claims to have users of both 4 and 2 stroke equipment using the same fuel. Thus preventing non english speaking employees from using the wrong fuel can.
John......

He claims to have users of both 4 and 2 stroke equipment using the same fuel.
Our fishing lodge has one tank of fuel that is mixed at 50:1 for our ourboards. This tanks fuels everyhting in the camp inculdings, early 80's gmc truck, several Kawi mules, several Yamaha rhinos, a four stroke Merc outboard and a newer Chevy p/u.

i use the mobile syn. the only question id have is, since opti is dino ,might it not foul plugs an such a bit more. ive got it here ,but luckily found a place that had mobile. which ive found to get outstanding longivity from engines. so i never really used the opti ,i had. but if i had. id have had to at least try at 32-1, as im convinced this mix ratio works best for my purposes.jmo

I run Opti-2 at 100:1 in my Husky 345 with absolutely no problems. I was uneasy at first and kept pulling the plug and muffler. I turned the idle down a bit having run Husky 50:1 previously and there was a noticeable increase in speed at top end. The oil will work at 32:1 if you feel better doing it but power will be reduced and you may have problems with plug and screen fouling. I have met Brad Clark and found him to be a straight shooter albeit with an axe to grind.

Latest posts

Back