Anyone taught Community Ed classes in a college?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
From what I can see, I'll be doing a community ed pruning and tree care class at Portland Community College next summer.

Has anyone taught this style of class?

If so, did you find anything particularly useful, or on the other hand, not useful?

Any particular starting hour for the eveing being better than another?

I start out by explaining how the tree/branch connection is put together. This really helps them see why you make the cut based on the branch collar. Beyond this, use simple language. If you use big words and terms, you might as well be illiterate. If no one understands what you are saying, the amount of expertise you have is worthless. I have to start each year with a group of students who only know that they think they like trees or the work looks like fun. This is where a lot of your continuing ed students are.

Good luck. You will be amazed how much you learn about both pruning and people.

md,
i've been teaching these types of classes for the past 2.5 years. the classes have evolved in both length and content. i've coupled tree pruning with an introductory tree climbing class. this class is targeted at tree companies and landscapers. i've also had good success teaching it as a vocational program in a state prison.

i use several references, limbs that i've disected (ripped with chainsaw), videos and field trips. the disected limbs easily show codominant stems and proper branch attachment from the inside and out.

good luck in your endeavors. just remember that the material will evolve as you progress. any time that you run across new info/research in "journal of arb", etc.; mention it in your class. this expands your knowledge and prepares you for the numerous questions that you will get.

--in betwee evolution--

By the way, these are rank and file public that will sit in the class. The degree programs have the classes with climbing, etc..

After I got the application to be employed, I may already ask to get on the record for several semesters so I don't have to fill this 5 page application out a again.

:)

Latest posts

Back