Anyone use a 404 sprocket on a Stihl 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a 046, 460 whatever... 3/8 is cheaper, has a narrower kerf which makes it easier to pull for the smaller saws. Even though all my saws are ported and double dumped, I'd still never run .404 on my 46. The rigidity which you are looking for in the bars is an easy answer. It simply depends on what gauge of chain you are running not pitch. If you are running 3/8 .063 gauge chain, the bar is the same thickness as a .404 .063 gauge bar. you can swap bar tips with different pitches and run different pitch chain on the same gauge bar, with the corresponding pitch drive sprocket. so you won't gain any rigidity there. it would be a different story if you were running something like .050 gauge chain. i don't know what you're running, but i'd say go for the 3/8 pitch chain .063 gauge on a 046. I still run 3/8 pitch .063 on my hopped up 660 on bars ranging from 36" to 42". that being said on any larger saws say 075, 880, 084, 090, 3120, sp125, etc, most of those saws come stock with .404 pitch sprockets and bars and chains. i haven't even looked for 3/8 pitch sprockets and bars for any of those larger saws. i wouldn't say it was really all that wise to run 3/8 pitch chain on these larger displacement saws just because they could rip the smaller chain apart. the heavier chassis of the .404 chain will stand up to big torque.

My bars and chains are all .050 gauge. Maybe I'll migrate to .063 and see if that helps. I am coming to end of life on several chains so it might be a good time to make a change.

I run 404 chains on my 660 using 22" and 24" bars. Seven tooth sprocket. I much prefer them over 3/8 as the teeth are that bit longer so they last longer. Also when falling I like the wider cut to get a wedge into. They do need a bit more grunt though so the smaller saw might struggle a bit?

I've decided to get a bigger saw, hopefully I can find one with a ~40 bar. So now the real struggle begins, making up my mind which saw to get. I don't want to buy new because I can't justify the expense just for home firewood. I can go to $800 once I sell a couple things on Craig's list. These are the candidate saws I'm watching for:

Stihl 066
Stihl 076
Stihl 084 or 088

Husqvarna 394XP
Husqvarna 2101

I've decided to get a bigger saw, hopefully I can find one with a ~40 bar. So now the real struggle begins, making up my mind which saw to get. I don't want to buy new because I can't justify the expense just for home firewood. I can go to $800 once I sell a couple things on Craig's list. These are the candidate saws I'm watching for:

Stihl 066
Stihl 076
Stihl 084 or 088

Husqvarna 394XP
Husqvarna 2101

Why isn't the 056 Mag II on the list?

Last edited:
Wow 800 you can just about buy new. there are a lot of used 660s and 395s around for 500-700$ I still wouldnt run .404 on any of the saws you listed besides the 088 and 076.

Back