Anyone use Exvex Prolar chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Edit: Make that ELVEX chaps (I can't edit the subject line, apparently)

I need to get some chaps, and I was checking out the Elvex brand, which are made out of this special material called Prolar which supposedly "explodes" on contact with a chain and jams in the sprocket/sprocket cover area, stopping the chain fast.

It sounds like good stuff, better than kevlar and some of the other materials, but on the other hand, the Elvex chaps are more expensive than the other kinds, and I'm not sure whether all the claims are true, or just marketing hype.

Can anyone advise me on these chaps, or recommend any other types / brands?

BTW, here's a site that describes the Elvex Prolar chaps. The description of the Prolar material is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.elvex.com/chainsaw-chaps.htm

Thanks,

Jeff

I can't help you with your question, but those chaps look sweet. I just upgraded from to the Husky pro wrap around chaps. I like them, but I might have opted for the ones you are looking at. FWIW I got the Husky wrap arounds for 70.00 + shipping.

I remeber many years ago when safety chaps first came out (at least the kind that jamb the cain), I saw on tv who I think was the developer or company owner put a full speed chainsaw down hard and fast on his leg. The chaps really worked. It was scary to watch.

Jim

Well, I don't use chaps - allways protective throusers.

The Stihl "Forestwear Comfort" from Pro-tech are very comfortable and light, and this year also Husky and Jred have their versions of it, but they don't look as good.....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The old fashioned 9 layer protective trousers are OK for yard use (still use them), but they are seriously lacking for comfort in the woods...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back