Anyone use northstar 37 ton log splitter ????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrweymo

Reaction score
any one use one of the northstar 37 ton log if so, like and dislike of the machine and what they would change thank you i am trying to figure out what kinda log splitter i want to buy i get a lot of free wood and as a lot of people know free wood isnt always small and easy to split i just picked up some wood its about 2ft dia and heavy. so any help would be great thanks
jeff

I have an old northstar 30ton and itl split anything you throw at it and anything that's too long for my stove I just cut through it sideways.There new rating of 37tons is based on a line pressure of 3800psi and is unrealistic.Its a 30ton with a high rated sticker to make it more attractive to consumers.But its a beast all the same.

I have the 22 ton, it splits pretty much anything I want it too. The 37 ton should be much better and split anything you throw at it.

I have one. Really enjoy the idle down feature. The Honda engine is first rate, starts easy and low noise. The splitter is well designed and build quality is great.

I replaced the control with a double detent model. Really speeds up production when you work alone. Replaced the fold down jack under the tongue with a screw type. Makes it easier to setup and more stable.

Replaced an old low beam splitter. The new one is stronger, faster, quieter and much easier to use. Should have done it years ago.

Keep it in the dry, change the fluids every year and don't loan it to anyone.

I considered the northstar myself a month ago, but went with the speeco splitter instead. I got the same tonnage, but got a log table and four way head all for $400 less than the Northstar would have run. Google omni manufacturer and check out the deals that Rock has this month. Free freight and he is also knocking off $100 this month on the 35 ton model.

Regardless of what Northern Tools is saying, there is no way
That splitter is putting out 37 tons. Compare pump size and cylinders and you will find they are the same as the Speeco.

Last edited:
I considered the northwest myself a month ago, but went with the speeco splitter instead. I got the same tonnage, but got a log table and four way head all for $400 less than the Northstar would have run. Google omni manufacturer and check out the deals that Rock has this month. Free freight and he is also knocking off $100 this month on the 35 ton model.

Regardless of what Northern Tools is saying, there is no way
That splitter is putting out 37 tons. Compare pump size and cylinders and you will find they are the same as the Speeco.

I do believe the question concerned Northern splitters. I have a good friend with a Speeco. We sometimes split together. The Speeco won't auto idle down, the Briggs engine is noisy then compared to the Honda and the four way wedge is useless on big tough blocks.

The Speeco is a good splitter, will do as much work as my Northern. But in the end, you get what you pay for.

I do believe the question concerned Northern splitters. I have a good friend with a Speeco. We sometimes split together. The Speeco won't auto idle down, the Briggs engine is noisy then compared to the Honda and the four way wedge is useless on big tough blocks.

The Speeco is a good splitter, will do as much work as my Northern. But in the end, you get what you pay for.

I am fully aware the question was about Northern splitters wise guy. His follow up question also was," i am trying to figure out what kinda log splitter i want to buy"

when I was shopping for a splitter myself a month or so back, I was highly appreciative that someone around here mentioned an alternative that saved a few bucks, was just as good quality if not better than the Northern model, and reminded me not to fall for the sales gimmicks that a lot of manufacturers resort too to sell a splitter by pumping up the tonnage rating.

Next time you feel like bashing someone for swaying off topic I suggest you read the entire post, maybe you wont put your foot in your mouth.If we cant mention our experiences around here to help one another, then the whole point of visiting here is rather mute, dont you think?

Last edited:
I am fully aware the question was about Northern splitters wise guy. His follow up question also was," i am trying to figure out what kinda log splitter i want to buy"

when I was shopping for a splitter myself a month or so back, I was highly appreciative that someone around here mentioned an alternative that saved a few bucks, was just as good quality if not better than the Northern model, and reminded me not to fall for the sales gimmicks that a lot of manufacturers resort too to sell a splitter by pumping up the tonnage rating.

Next time you feel like bashing someone for swaying off topic I suggest you read the entire post, maybe you wont put your foot in your mouth.If we cant mention our experiences around here to help one another, then the whole point of visiting here is rather mute, dont you think?

Perhaps staying on topic is wise.

any one use one of the northstar 37 ton log if so, like and dislike of the machine and what they would change thank you i am trying to figure out what kinda log splitter i want to buy i get a lot of free wood and as a lot of people know free wood isnt always small and easy to split i just picked up some wood its about 2ft dia and heavy. so any help would be great thanks
jeff

Jrweymo,i got my northstarr 37 ton splitter in 2008,i have been very pleased with it so far,i did make me a set of fenders and added a return oil filter with an indicator,i split a 24 inch ash on 8-30-11 with it and it had no problem with it.View attachment 198074View attachment 198075View attachment 198076

Thanks guys for all your help

i have been toying with the idea of either building a slitter or buying and older used one and making it to what i want like a horizontal with a log lift, i saw one on craigslist one with a 4cyl Wisconsin motor for $500 i cant get a hold of the guy thought but thanks again

The actual maximum output of a 5" cylinder fed by a 3500 psi pump is 34.36 tons. So how many maketing ploys are in this thread?

I bought mine three years ago. I also looked and crunched numbers, pros and cons till the cows came home. For the dollar, I couldn't find a better overall machine. We split approx 15-20 cords per year, between two houses. I love the Honda engine. It handles just about anything you can throw at it. The one thing I would suggest staying away from is the 4-way attachment. What a piece of crap. I think it would make a wonderful boat anchor!!

I love the idea of adding the screw type leg. I know some will complain the Chi Com's make it, but for the price and the overall quality, I had to purchase it.

Latest posts

Back