Anyone Use Race Gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artemis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been hoping to try some VP racing fuel if I can get my hands on a little bit. Anyone here try to use jet fuel or race gas through a saw? In theory I think it would work. I've seen people run nitrous through a saw...

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I've been hoping to try some VP racing fuel if I can get my hands on a little bit. Anyone here try to use jet fuel or race gas through a saw? In theory I think it would work. I've seen people run nitrous through a saw...

If you give jet fuel a try tell us how that works. :laughing:
No theory will support using jet fuel unless your chainsaw has a diesel engine.

Yeah, jetA is "premium diesel". I ran about 50 gallons through my diesel truck with no problems. I used to run C12 in all of my 2strokes, but I settled on 100LL. The 100LL has better storage life is the reason I made the switch.

I was wondering more about everything in the fuel and not just the octane. Like fuels that have performance additives like methanol or alcohol. What do you think the effects of E85 or alcohol fuel would have on a saw?

Not worth it unless you can find non ethonal non oxygenated unleaded for longer shelf life. There are some high dollar fuels(highly toxic) that can increase power but the carb would need to be reworked which is not for a work saw.

I keep a pail of 100LL around most of the time. Three year shelf life guaranteed. I run it most everything I own besides the vehicles. Never has given me an ounce of trouble. My Bolens garden tractor prefers this blend to anything else. I also have a can of 91 non-oxy that I mix 50/50 with the AvGas in some stuff. If nothing else, the smell is intoxicating. $4.08/gallon here right now.

its important to remember that lead is toxic and causes lasting health issues....I used to run a mix of leaded and pump in my saws but now use the 91 unleaded non ethanol fuel...I don't cut a ton of wood so don't mind the cost and it has a long shelf life. Lead is a good lubricant though and the rod bearings probably love it. The 110 leaded will slow the combustion down a bit and can make the saw feel dull to the throttle unless you retune...

good luck
sap can

I don't think I could bring myself to put leaded fuel in my saw haha. Seems like it would be instant cancer if you breath it in... Right now I'm using 94 octane ethanol-free mixed with amsoil dominator 2 stroke racing oil at 33:1 for the 372xp and 40:1 for everything else.

My grandpa lived to be 98. Sat in a tractor seat most of his younger life. Right behind a three inch straight pipe puffin' out leaded gasoline exhaust. Didn't seem to bother him at all. Matter of fact I don't know anyone who's ever suffered from any lead poisoning. How many of ya put split-shot in your mouth to open and close it? Anyone who's ever fished I'd imagine. I'll keep putting low lead avgas in my stuff til I die. Even if it's prematurely from lead poisoning.

I've been using Sunoco 260 gtx. 98 octane, unleaded and ethanol free. Only because I don't have easy access to non-ethanol fuels other than canned. It runs great in my saws.

I will clarify my reasoning for using 110 octane race fuel in my 046, and a few other saws. My 046 is pumping upwards of 190 psi of compression. It's not stock. Throttle response is excellent, I will note idle adjustments are a tad touchy running this high octane, I also choose to run 110 because it is the only proven source I have to get fuel without ethanol. If the race gas showed signs of low throttle response, or hard tuning at wot, I would not run it. If I had my choice I would prefer to run 93 ethanol unleaded, but its not a luxury I have readily available.

I will clarify my reasoning for using 110 octane race fuel in my 046, and a few other saws. My 046 is pumping upwards of 190 psi of compression. It's not stock. Throttle response is excellent, I will note idle adjustments are a tad touchy running this high octane, I also choose to run 110 because it is the only proven source I have to get fuel without ethanol. If the race gas showed signs of low throttle response, or hard tuning at wot, I would not run it. If I had my choice I would prefer to run 93 ethanol unleaded, but its not a luxury I have readily available.
190 PSI and more is not an issue with pump gas, not even when turning 13,000 RPMs in the cut. Storability is another issue if your saw is setting for 6 months or more without running

Back