Anyone Use the Good Ole Splitting Maul anymore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow your one bad mother if you can break the speed of sound with that maul...lol your sound is off a little on video..... but nice video...lol:rocker:

i wasnt quite sure if it was your video or if it's my cheap netbook...lol
any body want some vodka? you cant have any its all mine tonight...lol

Yup, Every now and then..

[video=youtube;g80nT9bmF-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g80nT9bmF-M[/video]

I'll give you a "hint" for FREE....
[video=youtube;WoAOYLMU1Wc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAOYLMU1Wc[/video]
[video=youtube;MVSwICvpIVE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVSwICvpIVE[/video]

I have an orange monster maul that I use a fair amount. What I can't split with that gets a date with the splitter.

I use a 6 lb. maul when I am in the woods and need to make the pieces small enough to lift in the truck. Once home, I typically use the hydraulic splitter to split the pieces small enough to fit inside of the tire mounted on the splitting block. Then use a splitting axe which is many times faster. Greatly reduces all the bending and picking up. I used to split my wood small enough to fit in the stove. Having the wood split to near the same size gives me a lot more control of the temp. I don’t think I would have learned that without the hydraulic splitter. Some pieces just are not worth all the work to split.

I usually sell between 20-30 cords per year, burn 2-4 myself, and split it all with a 6 lb. maul because...

- I could never justify the expense/hassle of a mechanical splitter with that amount of wood, especially at today's firewood prices.
- It would be slower for me to use one anyway.
- Using a maul gives me something easy to do for a workout and helps me stretch, stay flexible. The only thing that usually bothers me is my back when picking up the splits, but I'd be doing that with a splitter anyway.
- It's a tad easier to walk back into the woods with a maul than a splitter. Slightly.
- Chicks dig it

I have nothing against splitters. Some people just aren't physically capable, so they have their place.

I just use a 6lb maul for my 3 or 4 cords a year. It always starts, never runs out of gas, it fits in the front box on my atv, and I use it to split the big ones in the woods to save my back.
I noodle a bit too, for the knotty chucks or crotches.

I split with a maul, about 18 face cord/year. I recently broke the head off of a 12lb steel one like we see above. Got it welded back together, haven't used it yet. My other one is a 6lb which I broke a wood handle off quickly. I then got a fiberglass handle with an epoxy to put on it. I was skeptical about an epoxy to hold the head on the fiberglass handle, but it has been working for 3 years now and has yet to crack or break.

SPLITTING METHOD::
I didn't see this mentioned unless I missed it:
A friend told me to use a used tire about 3 years ago. It saves me about 50% of my time splitting, and incalculable wear on my back. Picking up the same piece of wood off the ground 5X really used to piss me off-no need for that anymore. THe flexibility of the tire also takes the impact of the maul if it is hit. You also don't have as likely a chance of a split flying over and breaking your truck tailight or shed window:)

I have a couple different sized tires (from a 4-wheeler to pickup truck) to use depending on the wood. I have two 30-40" rounds to put the tires on, one of which is ash, and round, and I can mobilize it right next to the pile. Some rounds get quartered on the ground if they are too large to fit inside the splitting tire.

Try this and you won't look back:

YouTube - SPlitting Wood With A Tire

Been using this for the past 30 years. Quicker than a splitter and better exercise too.

Mauls004.jpg

That is what I use to split wood with. I sold 20 chords of wood this season all hand split with a maul. Your right most times it is faster than a wood splitter. I do firewood as a hobby though. I will probaly sell 40 chords this season and all will be hand split. Usually one hit and they are split. Beats putting them on a wood splitter and waiting for it to cycle.

I don't own a gas splitter, it's all by hand, probably 4-5 cords a winter. Gone through a bunch of different mauls but it's 100% Fiskars now, or noodled if the Fiskars won't split it.

8lb maul, wedge, and a craftsman sledge for many odd years... migrated to the hydraulics for the past 2 years (WOW), but still do swing from time to time

No one can argue the "exercise value", using a maul.....

I won't argue that it's okay exercise. But a lot of folks here I think overstate the benefit. E.g., cheaper than a gym membership, etc.

I think you'd need to split a lot of wood by hand - a couple cords a week year-round maybe - for that to be true. Busting up 4-5 cords over a couple weeks - and remaining more or less dormant for the remaining 4 dozen weeks of the year is an effective strategy for getting a gut.

I usually sell between 20-30 cords per year, burn 2-4 myself, and split it all with a 6 lb. maul because...

- I could never justify the expense/hassle of a mechanical splitter with that amount of wood, especially at today's firewood prices.
- It would be slower for me to use one anyway.
- Using a maul gives me something easy to do for a workout and helps me stretch, stay flexible. The only thing that usually bothers me is my back when picking up the splits, but I'd be doing that with a splitter anyway.
- It's a tad easier to walk back into the woods with a maul than a splitter. Slightly.
- Chicks dig it

I have nothing against splitters. Some people just aren't physically capable, so they have their place.

Hey, I think you might be right, chicks DO dig it!

I split three or four cords/year with that yellow handled maul they sell at Home Despot.. been giving some serious thought to a Fiskars, though. Having the best there is for $50 or so is hard to resist. I've never thought of buying a hydro-splitter but I do admit there are a few knotted rounds every season that just stare back at me for a few months. Holding those still while I chainsaw them is a bit of a challenge so I tend to stew on it for a while. I prolly should do it in the woods when I cut the danged tree.

Latest posts

Back