Anyone Using The Stihl 2 in 1 Sharpener ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the worst, you could quickly go through with a raker file and round the leading edge a little. That would do away with any worries about flat rakers. I doubt it would matter unless you were cutting large hardwoods.

Well I learnt a bit from you guy's comments after the video lol, his rakers would be low as well if the forward guide was resting on the chain when he was filing.

Anyone using the Stihl 2 in 1 Sharpener ?

Likes or Dislikes ?

Thanks

[video=youtube;ucIpjJ-BNWQ]

I have the version that's not made by sthil, they work well when sharpening a chain that has only been sharpened with it, it teaches you proper cutting angle and how to hold a level plane, for what they cost they are a good investment, I don't use it anymore because I sharpened other people's chains all at different tooth sizes, but they do a good job.

I have both Stihl and Pfred in .325 and 3/8 respectively. Neither of them get the gullet if that’s something to you. I’ve been learning to sharpen chain and found that no two files cut the same, especially Oregon, and I don’t file the same when switching sides. I’ll use the 2 in 1 to touch up in the woods but on the bench the chain comes off the bar, is put in a vice, and I free hand with a single file. No cutters rocking over and changing the angle in relation to the file. I like to make sure that the entire top plate and side plate has the same edge. I also use a digital angle finder to set the rakers which works great since not all of my cutters are the same length. When using the 2 in 1 I brush the dust out of the file with a paint brush after a couple of cutters. When free handing I just wrap the file on the vice. You need to make sure you turn the files in the 2 in 1 every now and then.

Not looking for an argument just clarification, when you say they don't touch the gullet what do you mean exactly as as best I can see (with RM chain) is the top plate and side edges seem to look touched up, new to all the terminology, not saws so much.

The lower portion of the side plate. Since the 2/1 sharpener maintains a set depth the lower portion doesn’t get filed. At some point after several sharpenings with the 2/1 you may want to talk a round file to this lower portion so the hook on the side plate has a nice even radius. Some folks don’t worry about it. Some folks say it clears the chips better. You can do a search on “gullet” here and read till your hearts desire, or cross eyed.

but he is cutting soft pine. I've seen chains that would cut real good in pine, but not do very good in hardwood.

He might get a surprise if he tried a cut into a dead hardwood or even a green hardwood.
Yeah I don't imagine the side plate was very sharp with him round filing it at the 15 deg top plate factory angle.

The lower portion of the side plate. Since the 2/1 sharpener maintains a set depth the lower portion doesn’t get filed. At some point after several sharpenings with the 2/1 you may want to talk a round file to this lower portion so the hook on the side plate has a nice even radius. Some folks don’t worry about it. Some folks say it clears the chips better. You can do a search on “gullet” here and read till your hearts desire, or cross eyed.
Thanks again for the tip, did as you suggested, I get it now, while this has not been a real issue to me in the past as I've always used 3/8 RM chain I will now be touching the gullet up as a part of my sharpening regime.

Chucked a worn RM chain on the 029 and cleaned out the gullets to strap level on a few cutters to get a visual comparison to untouched ones, the difference is rather obvious, doing that cemented the info I had read about gullets on here, great site, glad I came across it.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back