Anyone willing to hook one of these to your chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's really bulky compared to other set ups out there. I sell the qick stix and the mingo marker

Been using the Quik Stix for years and they work excellent. Flexibility really makes a difference when bucking in the woods. Be hard pressed to find a faster way to mark and cut firewood length's .

Quick Stix are the way to go, only not the way the directions say. Thread coupler nut after bar nut (not instead of, only needs a couple threads), mark the log , take it off and put in back pocket. Bucking with it attached is a guaranteed way to break it at the plastic threads. I've made 'em out of graphite golf club shaft (nut epoxied in hollow and ground flush) and the latest iteration, a stainless car antenna whip. Most times it stays on a small saw just for marking.

i use the bar of the saw to measure,,, then once I cut a couple I can usually get the lengths close with just my eyes,,,, what we cut they don't have to be exact

I could maybe see it working in a place where there isn't anything to get tangled up with it.

I guess my answer would be no.

I've thought about having a small saw with some sort of stick attached just for marking.

I just use my eye. I've used a measure stick, but it gets chucked aside very soon while cutting.

I want to get a Mingo

http://www.baileysonline.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=Mingo Markers

I guess if we were using the rounds to hold up a building, they might have to be the exact length. I've burnt just about everyone I've cut.

Just mark your bar at whatever length you want with a permanent marker . After a few cuts , you most likely won't even use the mark on the bar ,and still get within a inch either way . I figure that's good enough precision for something that's going to be burned first chance I get !

Measuring you wood isn't necessary for some, but for others it may mean getting a piece in the stove or not. My brother's wood stove will not accept a piece longer than 18" and still get the door closed. My insert will take pieces 22". I could eyeball my lengths and be just fine, but we use his length for everything and maximize what he can load by using a Mingo with an 18" wheel (they make several diameters). It's pretty aggravating to put a piece in his stove, and then try and fail to close the door, and then deal with having to pull it out and trim it down to a useable length.

For the OP, I would use a Mingo. Marking and bucking the straight pine you show would be a breeze. I guarantee it will make for faster work than a measuring stick, rod attached to the studs, or the contraption you have bought. And I don't have to worry about snagging it on limbs or having to take it off if I want to use the saw to drop trees.

None of them work for me. I buck right to left, not left to right...
A big zip tie attached to the lower left of your handlebar will work. I cut that direction also and I'm not a southpaw.

I can burn a 20"log but usually try to keep 16"-18" cuts to avoid the ones that don't fit.
I just eyeball it. But, I lernt long ago that I have a hard time eyeballing logs that are 30"+ until I have a few rounds to compare to.
I like the rope/washer idea as well as the zip tie. May have to try that next time.

I just use a big zip tie off the side.
One of the easiest methods in my eyes! I can use it at rear extended full length(it adds up bar&saw&zip tie for lengths of 1metre) or sideways for short lengths. And when the cs is not in use you can just fold it alongside of the saw.

Looks like somebody dragged a giant **** magnet through a chineese hardware store, and bolted all the crap that stuck, to a formerly usefull saw.

Seriously. If you need Grandmas friggin walker bolted to your saw, in order to make a consistent cut, you quite possibly need to shy away from pointy objects in the first place.

If an engineer was tasked with designing an aparatus, that would reliably snag every damn green brier vine, sapling, bramble, and stray cat within 20', causing the bar to deflect into flesh or brains....it would look just like that abortion in the picture above, or possibly a little less complex.:eek:

Here's a way to save some $$, your back, fingers, toes, lips, and nether regions.

Go to the hardware store. Find the hard of hearing old geezer, that wanders around looking to help people, by telling them what they need isn't in stock.
Ask the geezer for 36" of 1/4" Nylon cord.

Cost will be around 50 cents to a dollar.

Then grab half a dozen 1/2" washers, while the geezer tells you about how you're gonna need lock washers or you'll end up like cousin Earl.
Figure two bucks.

Then drive to the dollar store and head to the aisle where they keep the school supplies.
Find the Chalk and select a color. Blue, red, Pink, purple...whatever.
Chalk is expensive these days. 2 bucks a box in some places...ridiculous I know, but it's chalk.

Now this is the hard part.

Use a tape measure, and mark the cord at the length you commonly cut.
Then thread a washer to that point and tie a big assed granny knot, so the washer stays there.
Do the same thing for the next longest length.

When you are in the woods or car port, and need to buck to stove length, take the cord and Chalk out of your pocket and holding the chalk and proper washer in one hand, and the proper end of the cord in the other, then mark the log. When done, wad up the cord and place back into your pocket.

5 bucks, with darn near a lifetime supply of replacement markers...and it wont cause the saw to pluck your eyeballs out when it gets snagged, walking in the woodlot.;)
If there is a "Best of Arboristsite" thread, I'd like to nominate this post. Humorous and helpful!

Back