Arborvitae topping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastbub

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I had a customer that wanted me to reduce the height of the Arbs. around his patio for a better view from his 2nd story window. These were about 20 ft in height and wanted about 5 feet off. I could see they had been topped once before I would guess several years ago. What are the ill affects of this practice? I don't think it is good for them and I think that it is a poor choice to top for a "view" of your backyard. Also they are his and if I don't do the work, 800 other guys around here will. What is the best thing to do here?

Do it! Makes them look funny from up above but it doesn't do any harm to the tree. I am not for doing anything a customer ask but in this case I would cut where he wants. While your at it offer to replace them with something that won't block his view in the future. Or something that takes better to topping.

As mr boston says a hedge is a hedge, Just make sure that the home onwer knows that he will be looking at wood on top for quite a few years till they grow back. Time depending on your location. (lat.)
I have a few hedges where i walk on top to trim them. form doing this same thing quite afew years ago.
I just make sure that we tell them to water them alot when we take that much off.

Lawmart play safe

Latest posts

Back