Are high perfomance saw guys into other high performance stuff?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fastest I have been is 150. That was in my old Mustang. It looked like the sheet metal fender were flapping in the wind. LOL. It's a weird feeling going that fast. Like tunnel vision.

I had a Z06 vette up to 145 on a winding highway near here. Sucker was on rails. It would hit speeds like that in no time.

Indeed. Z06 is the most impressive car I've driven and I'm not really a fan of Vettes. My car has the same incredible handling feel but not the power. It's amazing how far cars have come. My first fast car was a 396 Chevelle. It was fun, and I'd own one again, but the driving experience just isn't the same. Unlike when I was a bit younger, I'd rather carve a corner now than smoke the rear tires. But, the rumble of a big block and the scream of a flat six are both music to my ears. If it has wheels and goes fast I like it. It's fun to argue for your favorite brand, but just like saws the reality is that there are winners made by several manufacturers.

At 170 things happen really fast. But the car was solid. I probably won't ever do it again, but just had to see for myself after the mods were done.

I tached out my 89 fox body on Rt 460 in VA at night It scared me ALOT when I rounded what was a gentle gentle turn at 70 and the thing almost went ape ####, it sounded like it was going to go into a million pieces. . . im guessing 150, 160. . . . .

Been Riding and racing motorcycles since 1972 or so. Last race was 2001..now just trail ride.

1970's
attachment.php

1980's
attachment.php

Last Race...old man on old bikes:
attachment.php

2010 on the farm trails:
attachment.php

Surprisingly after 20 years, my old YZ490 still had the same power as a new 450 today....

Those old YZ490's were animals. All or nothing type powerband but when that "all" bit hit they were awesome machines...

I have a kx500 and a yz450f both stock. On the track the 450 has an edge due to usable power. However, on a long stretch it will not nearly keep up. 65 hp at the rear tire on the 500 is just too much for a 450 to keep up with. Not many bikes can make as much power as a kx500 and still be reliable. I have seen many 250r quads send banshees packing.

My brother's mate has a worked KX500. Fastest thing I've ever been on or in. Has done a few gearboxes in and we chewed a new rear tyre out in one tank of fuel on a gravelly rocky track one day. You'd just lean over the handlebars and stick it. It was still spinning the back wheel at about 160kph - hence the wrecked rear tyre (and gearboxes)...

The new 911T rips to 60 in 2.9secs and nears 200mph. That's quicker acceleration than a ZR-1, and any Ferrari or Lambo.

Your new model 911 Twin Turbos must be faster than ours. The road tests in Australia from the major automotive magazines have shown about 0-100kph (basically the same as 0-60mph) at around 3.6-3.8 seconds (still very very quick). The one thing that people forget is that the world isn't a straight line, it has corners and old grannies who pull out in front of you.
You won't beat a Porsche's brakes thats for sure and it's handling is rarely matched either. I love Porsches and the 911's just keep getting better and faster.

I sold most of my fast toys and now i got the family workhorse but you can still have a little fun with her now and again.

first video i ever tried to put on here so i dont know if it will work

Indeed. Z06 is the most impressive car I've driven and I'm not really a fan of Vettes. My car has the same incredible handling feel but not the power. It's amazing how far cars have come. My first fast car was a 396 Chevelle. It was fun, and I'd own one again, but the driving experience just isn't the same. Unlike when I was a bit younger, I'd rather carve a corner now than smoke the rear tires. But, the rumble of a big block and the scream of a flat six are both music to my ears. If it has wheels and goes fast I like it. It's fun to argue for your favorite brand, but just like saws the reality is that there are winners made by several manufacturers.

At 170 things happen really fast. But the car was solid. I probably won't ever do it again, but just had to see for myself after the mods were done.

I outran piles of them at the track. 1/4 mile they did'nt have anything for the ole mustang. The same ones would kill me on the interstate after about 110-120. TThey have wicked topend speed. And an extra gear. The mustang had 3:90 gears in it. It would pull the front tires every now and again. I only ran for fun though. Never did much bracket racing or anything. I just liked the speed. I never thought when I started building it that I'd be running 10's one day.:) When I sold it, the guy who bought it wrecked it with a month. There's parts of that car in mustangs all around this place now. A performance shop bought it from that kid and parted it all out.
I miss that car every summer, but I'm thinking about making another go at a hotrod. This time it's gonna be a '67 fastback though.

Last edited:
Your new model 911 Twin Turbos must be faster than ours. The road tests in Australia from the major automotive magazines have shown about 0-100kph (basically the same as 0-60mph) at around 3.6-3.8 seconds (still very very quick). The one thing that people forget is that the world isn't a straight line, it has corners and old grannies who pull out in front of you.
You won't beat a Porsche's brakes thats for sure and it's handling is rarely matched either. I love Porsches and the 911's just keep getting better and faster.

"The Turbo whistled from 0 to 60 mph in 2.9 seconds and from 0 to 100 in 6.8, 0.5 second and 0.8 second faster than the ZR1, respectively. At the finish of a quarter-mile, the ZR1’s 128-mph trap speed was as good, but the Porsche got there 0.5 second quicker, at 11.0 seconds. Technical editor Aaron Robinson was wide-eyed over the way the Turbo launched, and he normally reserves that kind of reaction for rockets at Cape Canaveral."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q1/2010_chevrolet_corvette_zr1_vs._2010_porsche_911_turbo-comparison_tests/2010_porsche_911_turbo_page_3

Beating a ZR-1 in the 1/4 is more than a little impressive. I can't wait to get a ride in the new 911T.

Porsche is notorious for sandbagging their performance numbers.

Trust me, I know the world isn't a straight line, especially here in Colorado. Hence my choice of car. Mountain roads are a blast.

Last edited:
Its a prototype, but I bet I will cost less than the Porsche once its in production.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDHX9GQwQcE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDHX9GQwQcE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I outran piles of them at the track. 1/4 mile they did'nt have anything for the ole mustang. The same ones would kill me on the interstate after about 110-120. TThey have wicked topend speed. And an extra gear. The mustang had 3:90 gears in it. It would pull the front tires every now and again. I only ran for fun though. Never did much bracket racing or anything. I just liked the speed. I never thought when I started building it that I'd be running 10's one day.:) When I sold it, the guy who bought it wrecked it with a month. There's parts of that car in mustangs all around this place now. A performance shop bought it from that kid and parted it all out.
I miss that car every summer, but I'm thinking about making another go at a hotrod. This time it's gonna be a '67 fastback though.

Nice. My dad was a ford guy. We'd scour the countryside and newspapers looking for old torinos, etc. Anything with a 351C. Not as cheap to build as a SBC but the stock heads are awesome. I remember one time we picked up a torino that had been sitting for years. We stopped in the middle of nowhere and smoked the tires. Suddenly, the cab filled with nasty smoke. The trunk was so rotted the tire fire came straight into the trunk and then the cabin :laugh: Good times.

Its a prototype, but I bet I will cost less than the Porsche once its in production.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDHX9GQwQcE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDHX9GQwQcE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Probably. Totally different target markets. Judging by the wheelspin that's one beast of a car. The 911 would eat this for lunch on a track though. Depends on what you want to do.

My Father was the General Manager of Holman & Moody, Him and few other guys Made the 460ci ford motor (to compete with chevys 454) My first car was a 1970 Chevelle SS 396(in 1980) Now I Drive a Supercharged Crewcab Silverado as my daily driver. I bought a Brand spankin new S10 pick-up in 1985, when that motor got tired I put in a 1969 327ci Corvette motor. Anything I ever take apart to fix or rebuild gets ported/milled/flowed/polished/etc......I Believe everything should be all it can be. Heck, as kids we made my moms lawnmower run an alcohol, the flame throwin 3 1/2 hp Briggs :) Yep, if it has a piston(s) in it, I'll hop it up and let it prove it's self:laugh:

How About Some Antique Performance?

attachment.php

Lodi Ca. 1958 300ci Desoto Nitro 162mph mid to high 9's
attachment.php

1974 Forest Hill Ca. Nationals...... Family picture
attachment.php

1974 Wilseyville Ca. Hare Scrambles
attachment.php

1976 Stonyford Ca. Sort of an ISDT type event

Here's some pictures from the "senior" section.......... :cheers:
Not all of us are as recent as the great pictures seem previously!!!

Last edited:
Fantastic pics Bob. Ever race with Robert Ewing? He's an old friend (both know him for a long time..............and he's pushing 80 now LOL) who raced scrambles and such all over Ca in the 60's and 70's. May have gotten out of it before you were racing however. Just a thought.......

Senior Stuff!

Sorry eccentric, don't remember an Ewing though there was one who was a friend of the Markley brothers (salt flats) that had been a photographer at the Nuremburg trials. I lived in Belmont Ca. ( SF bay area) at those times but did race all over northern Ca. and then did the deserts in the winter. The bike was a 70 Husky 400 with an 8 speed kit. Case and ports were matched, expansion chamber, Moto plat ignition, and a Mikuni carb. I ran it through the mid 70's and early 80's as a dist 36 top 20's, open, expert.
Seems like a 100 years ago now.........Bob

Sorry eccentric, don't remember an Ewing though there was one who was a friend of the Markley brothers (salt flats) that had been a photographer at the Nuremburg trials. I lived in Belmont Ca. ( SF bay area) at those times but did race all over northern Ca. and then did the deserts in the winter. The bike was a 70 Husky 400 with an 8 speed kit. Case and ports were matched, expansion chamber, Moto plat ignition, and a Mikuni carb. I ran it through the mid 70's and early 80's as a dist 36 top 20's, open, expert.
Seems like a 100 years ago now.........Bob

He would have been living in San Francisco or Sacramento at that time. Looks like you raced a bit later than he did. Those old 8-speed Husky's are cool. I raced some hair scrambles, flat track, and a bit of MX in D36, but that was in the '80s. Last race I ran (as a lark, and after over 10 years away from the dirt) was the 2000 or 2001 (can't remember which ATM.....and the bike with the sticker on it has been sold) Hollister HS. I was never fast. Just did it for fun. C-Open for me...:jester:

1976 Stonyford Ca. Sort of an ISDT type event

Here's some pictures from the "senior" section.......... :cheers:
Not all of us are as recent as the great pictures seem previously!!!

Love it...

Last edited:
This is my 2003 V-Rod that started out stock at 1130cc's. All work was done by me except the CNC machining of the cases for larger sleeves and head porting.

105mm 1250 Bore
81mm (3/8) Falicon Full Circle Billet Crank
K1 H-Beam Connecting Rods
CP Pistons 12:1
V&H Race Port Heads
V&H Competition Exhaust
Jones .500/.460 Cams
Destroyer Injectors
Fitzgerald Motorsports 58mm Throttle Bodies
Fitzgerald Motorsports Case Girdle and Studs
Fitzgerald Motorsports Pinned Bearings
V&H 2nd Gear
VRFI3
Walbro 255HP fuel pump from Ford Mustang with 5 bar pressure regulator
Buell XB wheels with ZTL front rotor

Puts out in the 150's for HP and over 100TQ. Over 90TQ from 4K to 9K rpm.

0029.JPG

Latest posts

Back