Are ported saws overrated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a pro logger, and i'm using a ported saw for the first time, it's a 346 ported by Dan Henry. That thing is a beast, i can tell you that i have more wood at the end of the day, and i'm less tired. I don't know what i'll do with my 562, now, i think i'll send it to Randy.
My old 346 that I ported can & does do it all, will never be without it! But I want to try a dozerdan at some point though. Might send him a top-end, or whole saw soon. The 562 is nice here when I get into wood over 18-20 inches & it's a keeper!

My 036 was a great saw stock. I cut a lot of wood over the years with it. After a muff mod, mild port and timing advance it is a blast to run. I don't know if I'd a saw to be ported but I REALLY enjoy messing with them myself.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Anybody heard from Dan lately? I sent him a message a few days ago and never heard back. I know there was some trouble with a storm a couple months ago, but that has been awhile.
dan was here at the pa. gtg.. 3 weeks ago, with some strong runners..
he told me his interwebs are all screwed up since being hit by lightning again..said they've been working on it, but had'nt figured it out as of then..

My old 346 that I ported can & does do it all, will never be without it! But I want to try a dozerdan at some point though. Might send him a top-end, or whole saw soon. The 562 is nice here when I get into wood over 18-20 inches & it's a keeper!
Dang sunfish, for 20"+ stuff the 390 is my go to saw!! I did use the 562 on a 24" hard maple to break it in but that was a lot to ask out of it pullin a 28" bar. CJ

I have never ran a ported saw. I am sure it is fun to run one.
I do not have a need for a ported saw, but I do not need the all the saws that I currently have anyway.
Need does not go into the equation of saws and CAD for me.
I would love to have one, someday maybe.
For now I will just keep a sharp chain and keep going up in Displacement if I want/need to cut bigger wood.

Dang sunfish, for 20"+ stuff the 390 is my go to saw!! I did use the 562 on a 24" hard maple to break it in but that was a lot to ask out of it pullin a 28" bar. CJ
I have no need or want for a larger saw, or a bar over 20". :)

Back