Are ported saws overrated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I can't get any of my stock chainsaws to cut right. No matter HOW hard hard I pull it back and forth. Do they cut on the push stroke or pull stroke? And what side of the blade do you drill a hole in to port it?

try some bigger dogs .............when the chain goes dull they double as a misery whip ............

To be honest I wish I would have had modded saws 25 years ago, anything that increases production by +25% would have been great. Don't really want to run any of them stock anymore. The only downfall is the louder exhaust. CJ

I have both of your saws done BTW.

Yeah......the 562 is really stout. I'm not sure about the 390......no wood here that would really challenge it.

Yeah......the 562 is really stout. I'm not sure about the 390......no wood here that would really challenge it.
Great, I would have been happy with the 562 just running right. Glad to hear it is strong. The 390 will go into a thinning with 24-40" hardwood for grade and veneer so it will get tested. Thanks again MM. CJ

For the majority of chainsaw users, a stock saw is perfectly fine. Then you get the AS crew, the opinions here might be a bit biased :ices_rofl: Really though, there seems to be cult followings of ported chainsaws here.
I can't think of a single professional hand felling logger (Northeast US) that I personally know that has a ported saw. Most run there saws into the ground, 2 years maybe, then buy new ones.
All of the professional loggers I do know however, can file a chain razor sharp. That, IMO is the best thing you can do. Learn to file a chain by hand, and do it well. Your saw will cut better, run better, and last longer.

The most important thing to remember is this.......just because your saw is ported does not mean it will be impressive with a dull chain, or out of tune.

For the majority of chainsaw users, a stock saw is perfectly fine. All of the professional loggers I do know however, can file a chain razor sharp. That, IMO is the best thing you can do. Learn to file a chain by hand, and do it well. Your saw will cut better, run better, and last longer.

Quotes for truth.

My stock 290 Farm Boss, with a sharp chain, cut everything I asked it to. I had a ms 180 with a sharp chain (sharpened by me---oh yeah) cutting faster than my buddies 260 pro with a dull chain (in 3-8" wood). He was like "WTH?". I also have a ported 361 that was so-so until I got the tune dialed in,,,it definitely has the "wow factor" now.

I'm a pro logger, and i'm using a ported saw for the first time, it's a 346 ported by Dan Henry. That thing is a beast, i can tell you that i have more wood at the end of the day, and i'm less tired. I don't know what i'll do with my 562, now, i think i'll send it to Randy.

I'm a pro logger, and i'm using a ported saw for the first time, it's a 346 ported by Dan Henry. That thing is a beast, i can tell you that i have more wood at the end of the day, and i'm less tired. I don't know what i'll do with my 562, now, i think i'll send it to Randy.
What are you using the 346 for? We would drop to the 50cc saws for pine thinning, just curious. CJ

Really? I can't get any of my stock chainsaws to cut right. No matter HOW hard hard I pull it back and forth. Do they cut on the push stroke or pull stroke? And what side of the blade do you drill a hole in to port it?
i usually beat the saw on the wood it has worked for me haha.

Up until a week ago I didn't even know people modified chainsaws - which I find pretty cool.

Question - Is the life of a chainsaw engine significantly reduced when it is ported?

Up until a week ago I didn't even know people modified chainsaws - which I find pretty cool.

Question - Is the life of a chainsaw engine significantly reduced when it is ported?

Not necessarily. If the saw is lightly ported for a "work saw" then the general consensus is it does not detract from its life at all. If the saw is highly modified to extract the most power from it for sport purposes, then yes, it would have a shorter life. (think drag strip car vs everyday driver)

It really depends on the saw, some are just a LOT better right out of the box than others, and no need to port/modify them anyplace for the average user.

The skill level of the person doing to work plays a big role here as well. Larger ports and super-loud muffler do NOT make a saw more power, efficient, or cut faster in all cases. Tighter squish, increased compression, and well timed porting have more impact that just opening up a muffler and hogging out the intake/exhaust openings....IMHO.

It really helps to buy better saws right to start with, if high HP to weight ratios are desired, faster chain speed, and getting more work done with less fuel and less time, once again, IMHO. There are some saws that are just OK, some are complete "turds", and some will absolutely SCREAM in the cut without any work anyplace.

There are also different levels of saws in any CC range. The Husky 55's are a good example of this. They made several different models/designs on the same basic chassis. Some of the early EPA saws were made with closed port P/C's, and even though slightly smaller in displacement than the later "Rancher" and other open port P/C's, they are stronger in the cut and run higher rpm's with more upper mid-range and top end power.

Same deal with their 60cc saws. The 262XP will be at the top of that pile, where the Rancher 61 would be a "turd" in comparison as far as power to weight ratio, etc. Even so, you can cut a lifetime supply of firewood with a 61 Rancher and it's unlikely to even grumble if well maintained. I ran one for many years, right beside my old 480CD, and both were pretty slow and lethargic for the cc's, but got the job done just fine, and the 480 still lives today and runs as good as when I bought it back in the early 1980's......Cliff

It all depends on who and if done correct. To many people think just taking the jug off and closing one eye and a 6 pack later and wallering a grinder around and it's ported... I ported a saw years ago and absolutely ruined it and have seen others that obviously were not done correctly. ..

Latest posts

Back