are red dawgs practical for a groundie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ScottinAK

ScottinAK

ArboristSite Operative
I need new boots. My 3 year old irish setters are slick as a dog turd. I hear alot of good things about red dawgs but are they practical for me. I hope to start climbing soon but still would be mostly on the ground.

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
Good boots always pay you back. I had to go back to Whites this summer because of some injuries. Ive been wearing Viberg since 03 and they are still the best boots Ive ever wore . But , the Arch Ease last that Whites are built with is hwlping my old injured knees. . Buy the best u can . I would reccomend a boot you can stand in the spurs comfortably . Even if you have to spend most of your time on the ground . Eventually you will spend more and more time up a tree .

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Great Jeff ; well , the screwed op poplar satyed under me when I took the top out of it. I had my life line in a healthy white spruce next to it. And I had a guyline in it holding it against the dominate lean. . I had to lower the top as there was a big propane tank right under it. Not to heavy so I used my 8 and lowered it myself. It was definately big enough to bust the heck out of propane lines and fittings. But . 3 hours in the spurs and my knees are still ok. Tired but ok.

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Scott; there are serious boot guys and not Serious boot guys. . I'm a Serious boot guy. Ive only made a bit over 1k climbing since I got this pair . But, my feet and knees arent hurting . And they worked great skinnin a cat before that . I didnt really consider climbing when I got them. And tho they wont last nearly as long as my Viberg's . They are worth what I paid for them . I think I have a bunch more climbing coming up so these will make me more money up the trees. Plus the old timer Overhead on the fire I was on were soewhat put at ease with a new dozer hand . That was familiar enough with the brush to be wearing Whites. . I didnt tell them that they were Loggers and not Smoke Jumpers . :blob2:

Matt J Leppek

Matt J Leppek

ArboristSite Operative
Check out the 2015 Salewa mountain trainer boots. I got a pair last week and love them. They are as light as a tennis shoe, but have the support and feel of a boot. They also come with a 2 year warranty. I spend about 50% on the ground and 50% in the tree, and they do well in both. Comfortable with spikes, and nimble without. Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 11.45.46 AM.jpg

KenJax Tree

KenJax Tree

Terraphobic
What I'm really looking for is a 10-12 inch logger, lace-toe, non steeltoe, but can't find it anywhere.
Scott look at the Wesco Job Master boots. I've had a few pair and love them. I don't know your budget but the about $380. They're pricey but i've tried cheaper boots and they don't last.
http://workingperson.com/wesco-boots-jobmaster-logger-work-boots-110100-79438.html

If im not climbing i wear Danner Quarry
http://www.danner.com/product/work/quarry/quarry-usa-gtx.html

ScottinAK

ScottinAK

ArboristSite Operative
Scott; there are serious boot guys and not Serious boot guys. . I'm a Serious boot guy. Ive only made a bit over 1k climbing since I got this pair . But, my feet and knees arent hurting . And they worked great skinnin a cat before that . I didnt really consider climbing when I got them. And tho they wont last nearly as long as my Viberg's . They are worth what I paid for them . I think I have a bunch more climbing coming up so these will make me more money up the trees. Plus the old timer Overhead on the fire I was on were soewhat put at ease with a new dozer hand . That was familiar enough with the brush to be wearing Whites. . I didnt tell them that they were Loggers and not Smoke Jumpers . :blob2:
I'm a serious boot guy. I've decided to go with Nicks Ridgeline @ 12 inches.

ScottinAK

ScottinAK

ArboristSite Operative
Check out the 2015 Salewa mountain trainer boots. I got a pair last week and love them. They are as light as a tennis shoe, but have the support and feel of a boot. They also come with a 2 year warranty. I spend about 50% on the ground and 50% in the tree, and they do well in both. Comfortable with spikes, and nimble without. View attachment 438568
I'm weary of that style. I've always been a full leather boot man. Maybe one day but it's like a hard habit. My climber wears something similar.

Latest posts