Are Stihl saws inherently feminine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RDP have you ever ran a 125 or a 2100 they are some of the best saws ever made you would have to run one to know i have all of the above saws and i would take my 125 over any saw made to date even my 372,385,and my 066, but thats just me

That is what I just posted.

Those were things and saws of the past, today is so different, not even close in anyway, their products today are not really worth spending a dollar on.

Nothing against these old timers, they were revered in their own times and rightfully so.

The question remains how do they really on all aspects compare pound for pound, cc for cc, ci for ci, db for db, vibration for vibration to todays offerings in all brands.

I am playing devils advocate here, not being purposely argumentative. ;)

Let me add more fuel to the fire.If,and I say If,McCulloch would have done further development of the 10 series saws,They would still be a major player.They did not.They dropped the ball ,years ago,with that regard.If,and I say if,a person knows how to tune one,they will ,in fact,run on a par ,cubic inch,per cubic ,with a Stihl. Not many of us left,that knows,or cares,how to make them talk.In this case,I am talking about the piston ported 3.3 to 5 cu in . saws[I am putting the sp 81,in the 10 series].I guess,though,it's a moot point,other than us old die hards.Fact is,I ran Indian motorcycles,until I couldn't get any more parts,so chainsaws,are the same,for me. :)

They would loose on the anti vibe but power and sound they would win as far as pound for pound that would be close i think a sp81 is lighter than a 460 or a 181 and had more power A 125 is lighter than most peaple think If Mac did still make real saws they would be some of the best out

You know that MS could stand for Moto sierra. which means chainsaw in spanish. This makes some sense too right?

BTW Macman, Just a quick question. WHY the heck do you have a dirt bike in the house? quick escape vehicle?

Motor Saw (Which is an exact equivalent of Moto Sierra). Dolmar's PS stands for Power Saw (Not Piece of Spit) Echo's CS =Chain saw-Duh.

I will be the first to admit that the 10 series of saws would rattle your bones.Why ,Mcculloch,when it came out with the cheaper saws ,like the pro 610,for example,didn't update the 10 series to some kind of suspension system,I will never know.A lot of big name companys ,made bad choices in the late 70's,that bit them in the back sides,in the 80'. By the end of the decade,they were history.This has turned into a fun thread.

:laugh: Looked like you needed a pot stirring.

I have so many people claiming to be my dad on this site.... :rolleyes:

For the record, I like Stihls; it just struck me as odd that they would choose Ms as a prefix.

"The MS 290 is one of the first chain saws that STIHL has introduced under its new model classification system, MS.  In an effort to coordinate its chain saw model numbering system with the prefixes used for all of its other power tool models, STIHL has adopted this new prefix, which stands for Motor Säge (Motor Saw in German)." [January 2001 press release]

Stihls system used to be great 031-3.1 cu in-50cc, 051 5.1 cu in-89 cc. Simple. Then they threw in "mid range professional" and homeowner models. Now the model numbers are all over the map and have very little to do with engine displacement other than in the pro saws.
Macman, my dad's Mac 15 beat the crap out of me, never mind the log. Once we got it started. I collect old saws and enjoy the nostalgia, no Mukluks yet, but prefer to cut with my Husky 345. Getting too old for the rough stuff.

I went to my local dealer and by the way he said ms meant must service I found a 1020 super today I know the real saw men will know what kind of saw I talkimg about The saw is VERY clean what should I offer him for the saw

Back