ariens 22 ton log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revturbo977

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i recently joined and made a post about a new 261 i just bought. got a lot of helpfull feedback and figured id ask another question about a log splitter. i dont own one and dont have time to split 10 cord by hand. home depot has the 22 ton for around 1200. is this a good buy? or should i look into the 27 ton? or different brand all together.

As with any purchase, look around and compare.

For a log splitter, key components include: engine, pump, and cylinder. Look at the quality of the welds and the way the hoses are routed, etc.

Visit the web sites for splitter manufacturers and compare what they say about fittings, cycle times, size of hydraulic tanks, etc.

Brand names are good to compare. Ask the HD folks who would perform warranty service, or where you would get parts. If they have a rental department, ask why they rent a different brand than they sell.

Money will always be a factor, but if you educate yourself a bit beforehand you can make a good choice for you.

Philbert

seems like it has good reviews, but they all do . was unsure if anyone had any issues with a particular model or not.

Ya, it's spring, they want to get those things out and move in mowers and stuff. Make an offer to the department manager, doesn't hurt to ask, either home despot or TSC.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at splitters and the Ariens have slow cycle times. On paper some of the best looking splitters are the dirty hand tools line. If I did not find a sweet deal on a used splitter I was going to get one.

I looked at the ariens but I purchased a Dirty Hand tools splitter and love it. Faster cycle times and full length I beam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I second the TSC 22 ton Huskee for $999. It will split anything you put on it. I used my neighbors 38 ton machine and it didn't do any better. The 4 way on the 22 is a bit of a let down. The wings don't stick our far enough. If splitting 10' rounds of straight grained wood it is fantastic. I tried it on some bigger Hickory chunks and the wings didn't stick out far enough to separate the wood. I used to have a 40 HP splitter that cut in both directions, at 58 I couldn't keep up with that machine. The Huskee, made by Speeco, is a great one man machine with good support, Joe.

Let me clarify, The 4 way struggles with bigger pieces. You can put the biggest, ugliest knot on the 22 ton Huskee and it will shear right through it, Joe.

Let me clarify, The 4 way struggles with bigger pieces. You can put the biggest, ugliest knot on the 22 ton Huskee and it will shear right through it, Joe.
Do you mean it struggles because the fins are so small or just doesn't have enough power?

Do you mean it struggles because the fins are so small or just doesn't have enough power?

I have a 22T Huskee and I love it, but putting a 4-way wedge on it (or any other small splitter for that matter) would be asking more than the machine was designed to handle IMO. Straight-grained rounds wouldn't be a problem but it's not a commercial machine. No sense in beating it up. It usually takes longer to pick the splits up and stack 'em anyway. If splitting speed is the choke point in the production, you need a bigger splitter.

Well my problem is I have a old homemade wood splitter with a 8hp brigs that's wore out needs to be repowered the valve needs to be rebuilt and I beam has a large crack all can be fixed and it splits everything but I have never run anything else to compare it to but I would think a 22 huskee would out perform my old wore out splitter mine has a large 4way and works great I would hate not to have that but verticle and ease of moving is what are appealingIMG_20140329_155530_218.jpg

OP: The Ariens is a nice unit. Just look at the way it is made, you can tell.
As far as cycle times go, the 22ton (Ariens) is at 12 seconds. This is right in line with other splitters of the same size (and price).

Now, the 27ton unit is at 16 seconds, so, a little slower, but stronger.

I am picking up my Ariens 22 ton tomorrow if all goes well.
I would like to have the 27 ton, but I am gonna put the extra cash towards a new chainsaw.:D

Home Depot has them here, BUT, I am buying from my "local" dealer instead. Why would I give $$$ to a BIG BOX store when a family owned business can get me the same price AND assembly it AND have it all full of fluids and ready to go AND deliver it to my door?

The local dealer happens to be the same Husqvarna dealer I am getting my 550XP from also.:)

FYI, $1200 for the 22T Ariens is right-in-line.

There is 2 22 ton ariens models at my local hd. Both look like they have been left out in the rain and weather for at least a year. Starting to rust in many spots. I'm going to see if they can move way down on the price because of it. If not I'm going to try and find a dirty hand tools to look over and compare . They are the same price so I want to get the best one . I did see a Troy built 27 ton today for 1399 and it had a honda on it. Those are mtd correct?

I have the Dirty hand tools and I went with it because it has a full I beam. I have seen a few splitters with out a full I beam break in a few years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back