Arizona Wallow fire pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Lots of good pictures there. How close did it come to the power plant right outside of springerville? I worked on unti 3 when it was being built about 6 years ago. I was staying up in Alpine if I remember right in a little tiny motel beside a gas station.

As long as the environmentalists and the Feds run the National Forests... they'll just keep on burning.

We need more proactive forest management, and less reactive firefighting.

Last edited:
Sure makes ya think about doing some controlled burns, under supervised conditions to remove the large amounts of 'fuel' on the ground.

Half million plus acres, property and whatnot.....whew!
Cool link!

Scott B

Lots of good pictures there. How close did it come to the power plant right outside of springerville? I worked on unti 3 when it was being built about 6 years ago. I was staying up in Alpine if I remember right in a little tiny motel beside a gas station.

It never got north of Springerville. I work at the power plant 20 miles further north.

Has anyone heard if there are any plans for salvage logging from the burn?

I have not heard what the plans are but I did see a log truck loaded with burnt logs sitting in Eagar just a few days ago. Not sure where they came from exactly but it couldn't have been far.

I just heard on the radio that they were going to take bids on a ten year thinning project. They were talking about how thinning would benefit the owls rather than it burning up. I guess they had to see it first?:bang:

I just heard on the radio that they were going to take bids on a ten year thinning project. They were talking about how thinning would benefit the owls rather than it burning up. I guess they had to see it first?:bang:

More like Congress had to see it and be reminded. They are the ones who really control the purse strings.
Memories are short.

They declaired the Wallow fire 100% contained yesterday at 6:00 PM. The last acre count I saw was 538,049.

Figured I'd give you all an update on this as those of us south of the fire are starting to see the after effects.

I live in Clifton, AZ. About 31 miles south of the Wallow Fire. And the easy part of the fire is over. There were threee major watersheds affected in this fire.

The San Francisco River watershed (where I live) is completely destroyed. Pretty much the entire river has been rendered devoid of life due to the sediment runoff and the acidity of the ash. The river runs the color and consistency of chocolate syrup when it rains. Many endangered species have pretty much been wiped out due to massive fish kills. Spikedace and loach minnows and the Chiracahua leopard frog are among them. The cottonwoods along the river are turning yellow and dropping their leaves already. USFS tells us it will take 5 to 10 years for the river to recover. Wonder how SAn Carlos Dam is going to handle all this?

The Salt River watershed has also sustained heavy damage. It feeds the area around Phoenix. The extent is still unknown at this point.

The Little Colorado River watershed has also sustained heavy damage due to sediment runoff and the acidity of the ash.

We are being told to stay of the Coronado Trail (Route 191) due to mudslides and trees falling across the road in the burnt areas. So right now it is pretty much a travel at your own risk thing. The bad thing is that this fire has been predicted for over a decade. No one learned from the Rodeo-Chediski fire.

After talking to some friends that were there (I tried to get my red card straightened out), the fire behavior displayed in this fire was nothing like anyone has seen before. This fire was jumping canyons instead of following them and was actively back burning downslope AGAINST the wind. IT was crowning out in areas that was not predicted and lightly burning area that were expected to go through a hard burn. This fire was a warning for what is to come if things are not changed.

There will be a salvage sale coming out this spring. But with nearly 125,000 acres and a little over 1 billion board feet of lumber to be salvaged, I really don't think we will make a dent in it before it goes bad. Some of these trees are massive, 40+ inches in diameter. Best bet would probably be to high grade it and get what we can.

There will be a salvage sale coming out this spring. But with nearly 125,000 acres and a little over 1 billion board feet of lumber to be salvaged, I really don't think we will make a dent in it before it goes bad. Some of these trees are massive, 40+ inches in diameter. Best bet would probably be to high grade it and get what we can.

Is the timber scattered or is there good volume per acre? Species? Any idea of how the sales will be set up as to separate units and their size?

Yarder ground, helicopter, Cat logging?

Latest posts

Back