Art Martin: Will the Real Logger Please Stand Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little leroy

Hello john,
Nice saw, nice picture, you probably wont need all 7 wedges to get that tree over. Maybe just the backcut. Check in richard dents book on timberfalling
. chapter 5
ken

axes

Art,
I just found an axe like you described in the attic of my mom's house. It has five or six grooves filed into the handle on one side and maybe 30 inches below the head. Would you know what they are there for? My Dad cut timber for Weyerhauser up in Washington before they used chainsaws but that axe was probably his Dad's. By the way please keep the stories coming about your days in the woods.

In 1881 John Dolbeer, a mill owner, built a steam powered machine that put the bull teams out of business. It had a big upright steam boiler that supplied power to a one cylinder engine with a winding drum. This drum carried a steel cable as a winch does. The "donkey," as it was called, would be hauled to the site on skids using its own power. When the "donkey" arrived on the site where the logs were, it was anchored with cables to stumps to prevent it from moving. Then cables would be attached to the logs and it would skid the logs down skid roads much faster than the bulls could. Then the loggers noticed that skid roads were not really needed, so they just pulled the logs out causing great environmental damage to the entire area. When they finished an area and moved to the next area, the logged out area looked like a moon scape.
At about the same time, railroads were constructed into the woods areas thus eliminating flumes and logjams. A railroad could be extended more easily to remote locations than skid roads or water dependent routes. The steam "donkey" would haul logs to the waiting flat cars. Extensive networks of railroad tracks were built all over the region. By the 1900s, the bull teams were all replaced by the steam "donkeys."
In the area of the landings were the logs were stored and where the train flat cars were loaded, high climbers would climb tall, selected trees and cut the tops of the trees so they could install big pulleys for lifting the logs onto the flat cars. These poles were called "spar" poles.
Modern machines started invading the redwoods in the 1920s with steam tractors. Around the 1930s, the big "cats" were nicknamed after the Caterpillar Tractor Company which was the most prolific manufacturer. These crawler tractors, with dozer blades, would cut roads and climb almost vertical hills and haul logs to the "landings" where they were loaded on railroad flat cars.

Art Martin

Visor,
The marks you referred to on the axe handle were used by some choppers to give a reference point where to hit the axe on the bottom cut of the undercut. That distance would measured from the top of the spring board and would help keep the cut level and help to put the spring board hole in the correct place.
Another reason that you may find grooves on an axe handle is that when they finished crosscutting a cut on a downed tree that was in a bind, they would hit the axe in the lower part of the tree length wise and use the saw upside down and use the groove to guide the saw in the cut and use a downward pressure on the handle end as a lever to finish the cut, much like an up cut with a chainsaw. This is called under bucking and although there is a special tool for this proceedure, a lot of chopper/buckers would just use the axe handle. I used this way of finishing a cut many times.

Art Martin

Hey Art I have this Book called Rails to the Minarets which is a historical writing about the Sugar Pine Lumber Company. It has some very interesting writing pictures about how the logging was done in the early 20's and 30's. I admire the old loggers for their ability to get the biggest trees in the world out of the woods and to a sawmill. It was the small things that helped do this such as how you used a axe handle to underbuck with a crosscut saw I always wondered how that was done. Kinda cool to be able to go back and layout a commercial thinning sale to thin the second growth that has grown back since the big guys were taken off. Like the pic of you putting in the backcut on that Big Redwood. In the second Pic with your buddy did the tree bole split when it hit the ground or did you guys have to blast in half with powder to be able to get it on a truck.
I have this old electric saw with a 6 and 8 ft bar and either 1/2 or 3/4 in chain. I have the original cable that I don't know what it plugged into but it is 50 ft long. I opened the saw up and cleaned it out and the bushings and coils are not corroded so I bet it would till run is I could hook it to a power source. I know the lumber company I was talking about before was an all electric powered so this could have been used out in the woods. I bought it off an old faller from oregon. thanks for the stories and cool pics from Gypo.

FSburt,
The tree that was felled in the other picture that was split on impact, was a double tree. They were very common. Those trees start out as one tree and become two trees after they reach 25' to 50' from the ground. I have a lot of these old logging pictures that I am preparing to send to Doug soon. When he posts them, I can comment on their content as they appear. I noticed that your location is Northfork, Ca. I used to compete there many years ago at their logging shows. I used to sharpen crosscut saws for Tom Wheeler and his partner Mr. Fink. Also there was a few other top competitors named Herb Pumkin and Alvin McDonald from that area. Have you heard of them?

Art Martin

Talk about knowing the locals Art. All the people you listed still compete in the NF Loggers Jamboree. Did'nt make it this year but wanted to go. They are all doing fine and still involved with logging and falling.
Hey Art How long did it take to put one of those big Redwoods down and buck it up. What did you guys make $ wise for those trees. How were you guys payed. My uncle used to work for Weyhauser as a faller in the 60's and 70's and then as a Gypo here in the Central Sierra's near Kings River on the Sierra NF. He told me when he started out he was 15 yrs old and was limbing with a axe. he Woked in Northern CA also out of Happy Camp and Orleans. Thanks for the reply Art.

Mike,

As I understand it, a "gypo" is an independent, non union, in this case logger.

BTW Art, absolutley awe-inspiring stories and pictures. Thanks so much for sharing.

Mike,
Newfie is correct. John Lambert has often mused that it would be improbable that he could work for anyone else with his current mindset. I think, in paraphrase, he has stated that if he worked for himself as an employee, he'd probably have been fired a long time ago.

Mr Martin, I certainly enjoy your posts, And i Salute you and all your peers who helped supply the material to build this great country, during a time that most of us can hardly imagine!

I look forward to seeing more of your pics and reading more of your commentaries.

Dagger

FSburt, the way I understand it the first chainsaws were electric and ran off a tractor (probably Catapiller) which ran a generator. Do you know the Morrows Mike and Aaron, great bucksaw competitors, and all around good guys.

Hi there, here is another one of Art's pictures. Art says this drag saw is almost as heavy as the predeter.
I wonder if this guy started it up in the bar?
Gypo

Hey Dan, thats pretty cool. It reminds me when I went to the barber to get a haircut. I asked the barber how much a haircut was and he said 20$, so I asked what a shave was, he said 10$.
So I just said "shave my head".

Gypo
I always thought that I should get a discount on a hair cut,since I dont
have a much to cut as other people.I asked the barber one time for a
discount and he told me he should charge me twice the going rate because he
had to look twice as hard to find it.
The going rate for a cut is 7.00 here.
Later
Dan

Dan,
Whatz the shiney spot in the pic?
Can it be surgically removed?